Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

summary of Continental GT changes by model year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:19 AM
robbiemac is on a distinguished road
I'd agree, it's a great car, although I've only had mine for a few weeks, but prior to it I had a series of Maseratis', the differnece in build is quite amazing. was searching for something to replace the masser, settled on the benny... differnet class of refinement and comfort.

will try to keep this one a little longer than prevous cars...

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM
fatper86 is on a distinguished road
I've had my CGT for a little over 2 years and like most have mentioned its a wonderful car. I do a lot of car hopping but this car has been in the garage the longest. Its a 2005 and have around 10k, I bought it with 6k miles on it. Maintenance has been painless so far, major service was under $2k, did that once and a basic service. No problems other than that but it is not my daily driver either. Awd or not Chicago weather and streets are not nice on cars.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by robbiemac
I'd agree, it's a great car, although I've only had mine for a few weeks, but prior to it I had a series of Maseratis', the differnece in build is quite amazing.
Almost got a first year Ferrari version Maser years back and decided against it due to the flexing chassis that was obvious during the test drive. Of course the chassis flex was addressed in later year models, yet still i just had a feeling about the Masers so did not get it... and eventually got the CGT and happy i did. Really is an all-around great car on so many levels.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
robbiemac is on a distinguished road
I've no experience of that type of thing, I never drive them that hard, but the build quality, panel fit depth of quality is evident. just closing the doors, you can feel the weight difference.

Tried some of Maserati's high end cars' MC Stradale, and even a spyker, but decided I'm too old and I like my comfort to have one of them.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fatper86
I've had my CGT for a little over 2 years and like most have mentioned its a wonderful car. I do a lot of car hopping but this car has been in the garage the longest...
Ditto. And once you move up the scale it gets harder to find a car that is exponentially better than the rest you've owned. They mostly improve in the small details. However the CGT is a big leap even from the LS600hL I had, and for that I'll probably keep it for a while.

Its a 2005 and have around 10k, I bought it with 6k miles on it...
Since I'm home-based I don't get the chance to drive anywhere in a good car (unless you count visiting my 'friends' at the various dealers), so I only put about 2-4k a year on my exotics on average. Sometimes I wonder why I bought it, with depreciation and the like, then I pass it in the garage and see the glorious lines and the exquisite finish, and know I could care less about the financials.

The paintwork is by far the best I've seen anywhere, It's a dark navy blue and the panels are flat and ripple-free. The deep gloss is something else!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by robbiemac
I've no experience of that type of thing, I never drive them that hard, but the build quality, panel fit depth of quality is evident. just closing the doors, you can feel the weight difference.
Oh, was not driving the Maser hard at all, just a test drive on the street/highway in Boston (normal speeds) and the chassis flex was very obvious to anyone who knows what that feels like. It was very bad on the Maserati. Of course couple that with possibility (that came true) high devaluation and extensive cost to maintain yet no Ferrari 'pedigree' and had a feeling the Maser had a high chance of being a financial disaster. Agree, the depth of quality, fit and finish, etc on the Bentley is far superior than the Maserati.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM
diablo1 will become famous soon enoughdiablo1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kensilver
I don't miss a backup cam however: the beepers tell me all I need to know about what's behind me.
Good to know it has parking sensors. Was that standard or an extra option in 2006? You're right, if you've got those, backup camera is less important... Although I find it's still reassuring to be able to see what's right under your bumper when you're in reverse.

I did buy some tires for one of my SL500's from the Tire Rack a while back.
I sold you the OEM tires from my Lexus IS directly on ClubLexus... Don't worry though, I'm not offended if you don't remember.

Maintenance has been painless so far, major service was under $2k, did that once and a basic service.
That is really good to know. What did the basic service run you?

The more I hear from you guys, the more I'm thinking this might actually be doable... Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by diablo1
Good to know it has parking sensors. Was that standard or an extra option in 2006? You're right, if you've got those, backup camera is less important... Although I find it's still reassuring to be able to see what's right under your bumper when you're in reverse.
I use a Roomba Dirt Dog to vac my garage, and a while back I ran over it after I forgot where I left it. That's when a backup camera would have been ideal. As it turned out, the cracking noise alerted me, but amazingly it suffered no damage as the car went over only part of the body. I think I noticed the Roomba behaving a little anxiously round the back of the garage after that

I sold you the OEM tires from my Lexus IS directly on ClubLexus... Don't worry though, I'm not offended if you don't remember.
Not me, I'm halfway round the world from you and I've only ever bought a set of tires overseas from Tire Rack. But I hope you got paid OK... wouldn't want my namesake to ruin my pristine reputation!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I use a Roomba Dirt Dog to vac my garage, and a while back I ran over it after I forgot where I left it. That's when a backup camera would have been ideal. As it turned out, the cracking noise alerted me, but amazingly it suffered no damage as the car went over only part of the body. I think I noticed the Roomba behaving a little anxiously round the back of the garage after that
Now THAT is funny! Could be a scene from "Cars" or some such... I think the Roomba vac could be quite a cute character...

Not me, I'm halfway round the world from you and I've only ever bought a set of tires overseas from Tire Rack. But I hope you got paid OK... wouldn't want my namesake to ruin my pristine reputation!
My apologies to you, sir. It was another online car enthusiast with a remarkably similar screen name. In any case you needn't worry... He paid right away. A+++ transaction highly recommended. Cheers!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
PCH
PCH is on a distinguished road
Hi all - I'm a new member and considering getting a used GT later on this year. I searched around on the web, and this seems to be the most active Bentley forum - actually the only one that gets more than one or two posts a month - so here I am. I've seen a couple people ask what changes have been made to the car's specs over the years, but never saw a complete answer, so I wanted to share what I've found out so far. Please let me know any corrections/additions if you have them!

-First model year of Bentley Continental GT production

-No major changes

-Carbon ceramic brakes (first time ever for Bentley), 20-in wheels, and new paint colors available as part of Diamond Series package
-Added soft-close doors and keyless start/stop
-Bluetooth optional

-Navigation discs changed from CDs to DVD
-Added Bluetooth phone support as standard
-Convertible model (GTC) introduced

-Most significant "refresh" until 2011 model
-Improved suspension, steering, and cooling systems
-Curb weight dropped by 79 lbs, from 5,259 lbs to 5,180 lbs (from 2,385 kg to 2,350 kg)
-Trip computer, Bluetooth, analog dashboard clock all revised
-Satellite radio now standard equipment
-Rearview camera and 3-spoke steering wheel now options; carbon ceramic brakes available as stand-alone option
-Exterior styling changes include more upright, squared-off center grille, wider front air intake, and chrome around the headlights

-Mostly cabin tech upgrades
-Optional adaptive cruise control
-Native iPod adapter (old one treats iPod songs as CD tracks)
-Optional upgraded 13-speaker Naim audio system
-Park distance control becomes standard
-Diamond Series no longer available; Speed version introduced

-Supersports and Series 51 versions introduced

-Completely reworked model with new exterior styling, interior design, and cabin tech
-Output increased from 552 to 567 bhp and 479 to 516 lb-ft torque
-Curb weight reduced from 5,180 lbs to 5,115 lbs (2,320 kg)
-Will be available with a V8 as well as the traditional V12 engine

FYI, I'm coming off of a 2009 Audi S5 (lease is up later this year), also considering an Audi RS5 or Mercedes CL550. I like the AWD 4-seat coupes. Cheers!
GT Speed introduced for the MY08

Old 02-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by PCH
GT Speed introduced for the MY08
Thanks - made the change on the OP. Looks like GT Speed was MY 08, and GTC Speed was MY 09.

You have an awesome garage btw (past and present).

Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Kevin1 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, Sorry to bump an old thread.
Just saw this thread from Google and I had to post a correction.

I believe for the 2005MY, the electronic boot opener/close was standard and optional on the 2004 model.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:58 PM
AceRothstein415 is on a distinguished road
Ya, I'm surprised you can get a car like this with low miles for $80k or less. I'd love to splurge for a 2008 and get all those improvements, but that is prob a little above my budget. Oh well, guess I'll be using my phone as a nav unit...
Couldn't you just swap it out for an aftermarket navi/dvd unit for a couple grand

Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin1
Hey guys, Sorry to bump an old thread.
Just saw this thread from Google and I had to post a correction.

I believe for the 2005MY, the electronic boot opener/close was standard and optional on the 2004 model.
Glad to hear this thread still comes up in Google and that people are still using it. When I was researching the topic, I couldn't find any good sources of info, be it the official Bentley site, car mags, or online forums... Which is why I started the thread.

I made the change that you recommended. Hard to believe you could get a $150k car in 2004 with no electronic trunk switch. We have come a long way since then!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by AceRothstein415
Couldn't you just swap it out for an aftermarket navi/dvd unit for a couple grand
Based on my research, it is not that simple, because the nav screen is also used to control heat/AC, car setup options, phone, etc. You would need a custom unit, and it would be an expensive installation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: summary of Continental GT changes by model year