Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2002-2004 Arnage T - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM
AJN334 is on a distinguished road
2002-2004 Arnage T - Thoughts?

Interested in thoughts about reliability and build quality of the Arnage T's. Of the Arnage range the T model seems to have the most updates via VAG purchase. I believe the 2002 Arnage was the first year with VAG influenece...which it is a good thing in terms of adding modern electrical, mechanical updates, etc.

Obviously the fit and finish of these car are 2nd to none, but how are they mechanically? How are these cars holding up? Do they require lots of maitenance? Are they much more expensive to service then say a S8, S65, 911 turbo? I have been looking into the the newer flying spur which is a completely redone car but can't help acknowledge what seems to be a value based on what these cars are selling for...

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
It's hard to find first hand knowledge on any year Arnage online. There arent many owners to begin with and much fewer that use forums like this. I've been looking into 05+ Arnage Ts for a while now and the short answer is that they got much more reliable each generation with 05 and up being the most reliable and modernized obviously. 07 got different turbochargers and a 6 speed transmission. Repairs and service will definitely cost more than a Audi/MB/BMW of the same era. The cars cost 250-300k new! Definitely a great deal now though. Just so much "cooler" and more classic than a Flying Spur. Let me know if you find any good info. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 PM
AJN334 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ETW 360
It's hard to find first hand knowledge on any year Arnage online. There arent many owners to begin with and much fewer that use forums like this. I've been looking into 05+ Arnage Ts for a while now and the short answer is that they got much more reliable each generation with 05 and up being the most reliable and modernized obviously. 07 got different turbochargers and a 6 speed transmission. Repairs and service will definitely cost more than a Audi/MB/BMW of the same era. The cars cost 250-300k new! Definitely a great deal now though. Just so much "cooler" and more classic than a Flying Spur. Let me know if you find any good info. Good luck with your search.
Differently agree with your points. Its easy to figure the late model T's are most reliable however I was trying to figure out if between 2002-05 there were any specific updates that make a big difference in reliability.
Also the demographic buying these cars don't use forums Figured I would try anyway. I will definitely post back with anything I find...

Keep the info coming. If anyone is familiar with the Arnage and R or T models please share info. In a search of this forum there are many unanswered posts on this topic. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Chipster is on a distinguished road
I did hear from an Arnage owner that they use a lot of BMW parts so he said maintenance wasn't all that bad. I've driven one and loved it but it does suck how little you can find out on this topic

Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 AM
fencera will become famous soon enoughfencera will become famous soon enough
They do use a lot of BMW parts, especially with the 99 Green Label. Unfortunately though the power output of that engine was limited by the transmission choice. So although it is the lightest and best weighted of the Arnages (and easiest to work on/get parts for), it's slowest "off the line".

Maintenance on any of the Arnages is pretty simple. Some basic things to look out for are:
1. Hard ride in the rear (new gas springs/spheres-- if DIY, no problem...not big deal at dealer)
2. broken cup holders (depending on year/model, they break easily [front and rear], they all suck)
3. the parking brake handle is a piece of crap (check it for free play)
4. make sure the trunk goes up well when opened (if you need new struts however, you can get them on ebay.co.uk)
5. make sure there are no popping noises in front end, cars are hard on upper ball joints
6. check turbos for any leakage
7. windows+ regulator operation

Basically, in addition, just check to make sure all the little things work+regular oil changes. The cars are great to drive, one of the most attractive interiors + exteriors ever made, but are not made like a GT. If you get one, get a copy of ASSIST (bentley's service manual) off ebay. It is easy to use and an invaluable source of information for repairs etc. Almost all work can be done without a service computer which is great (not needed for servicing... makes it especially straight forward).

Lastly, attached is a copy of the service bulletins to look out for (very few for 2002-04!).

Hope that helps. Let me know if any more questions. Good luck getting one! Amazing amount of car for very little money...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
03-01-10-01.pdf (489.3 KB, 2054 views)
File Type: pdf
05-01-34-01.pdf (135.2 KB, 680 views)