Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

At sea with CGT production numbers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
At sea with CGT production numbers

In one of my posts I quoted 40,000 CGT's had been made. I was sure of that figure, but can't remember where I saw it.

Now I read that only 8,000 is the figure (http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/31/2...iew-road-test/)

I wonder if anyone knows officially how many have been built in total?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I have one so start your count from there.

I'm sorry Ken I know you have a serious post here but I'm clown, more amused by myself I'm sure.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
I am just as much as, if not more so, a clown as the above poster.

I can't realistically think that Bentley could have made that many cars, much less sell that many of a single model.

BUT - I also have heard that they've went from producing several hundred cars to several thousand a year. So it is entirely possible that both your numbers are accurate - that they've sold 40,000 CGT's (in all trim levels and variants worldwide), and possibly 8,000 in the US only.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
From a recent press release from Bentley:

2. Bentley’s global sales for Q1 in 2012 increased by 46.6% with 1,759 cars delivered to customers. This growth was led by the emergence of China as Bentley’s largest market in the first quarter with sales in the region up 84.9% (578 cars delivered). The Americas remain a key market for Bentley with sales up by 35.6% (468 cars delivered). In the Middle East sales recovered with an increase of 82.6% (168 cars delivered) and European sales also saw a 34.4% increase with 207 deliveries. Sales in the UK and Germany remain stable, with 233 cars and 62 cars delivered respectively.

So we add that up... carry the 2... 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'... carry over the ~ and we get.... Sorry, what was the question again?

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 05-01-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
From a recent press release from bentley:
2. Bentley’s global sales for Q1 in 2012 increased by 46.6% with 1,759 cars delivered to customers. This growth was led by the emergence of China as Bentley’s largest market in the first quarter with sales in the region up 84.9% (578 cars delivered). The Americas remain a key market for Bentley with sales up by 35.6% (468 cars delivered). In the Middle East sales recovered with an increase of 82.6% (168 cars delivered) and European sales also saw a 34.4% increase with 207 deliveries. Sales in the UK and Germany remain stable, with 233 cars and 62 cars delivered respectively.
1759 cars in a quarter??? Yeah, 40,000 could be right (global sales since 2003).

Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure you guys can access this, so here is a good breakdown of a year's sales:
  • Global sales up 37% with 7003 deliveries to customers
  • December sales (1059 cars) - best single month since recession and second highest ever
  • America still Bentley’s number one market with sales up by over a third to 2021
  • China confirms number two status with sales virtually doubling to a record 1839
  • All major markets increased with Europe up by over a half due mainly to high demand in Germany, up by nearly 90%
  • New Continental GT coupe and Mulsanne drive sales with new Continental GTC off to a flying start
Crewe, 3rd January 2012: Bentley bounced back to pre-recession levels of demand during 2011, with strong growth in all major markets. Globally, sales were up 37% to 7003 for the calendar year with sales accelerating as the year progressed. December sales were 1059 (up 69% on the same month in 2010), the best month since Bentley’s pre-recession record of 2007 and the second best month ever.

The US continues to be Bentley’s number one market with 2021 cars sold in 2011, an increase of 32%. For the first time ever, however, China took second spot with sales for the region virtually doubling to 1839 and surpassing the previous year’s record before the end of July. This achievement is even more remarkable considering Bentley has been present in Mainland China for less than ten years.

Other regions have also performed very well. Continental European sales rebounded to 1187 (an increase of 53%) led by strong demand in Germany where sales have increased by a remarkable 88%. The UK proved to be extremely challenging over the past months, but still saw an increase of over five per cent with 1031 cars sold. Indeed, all major markets are up including the Middle East despite the political instability that has beset certain markets.

The strong performance was the result of strong demand across the range, with the new Continental GT unsurprisingly proving the most popular Bentley with 2404 GTs delivered - over a third of Bentley’s total sales volume. Sales were boosted significantly in December with the first deliveries of the new soft-top Continental GTC, a new model which has receivedfantastic reviews from media and customers alike. Together with the Bentley Mulsanne, which continues to maintain a healthy order bank constantly replenished as more customers get to drive the flagship Bentley, sales growth is expected to continue unabated during 2012.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
...with the new Continental GT unsurprisingly proving the most popular Bentley with 2404 GTs delivered - over a third of Bentley’s total sales volume...
This is a good indicator. Looks like 8,000 for the CGT to 2011 is accurate, but there's a lot of numbers there. My head hurts.

It's important I know sales numbers for two reasons, the first being that I want some exclusivity so that I'm not driving the 'people's car' - but enough production to keep the operating/repair/R&D costs down to make it a reasonably priced product.

And secondly, for that poor woman in the Crewe factory taking 3 days to sew and fit leather to each steering wheel. The days must seem endless.