Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Spoke too soon - first flat battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Spoke too soon - first flat battery

After my post a few month's back praising the longevity of the 2 batteries, and how mine never seems to go flat even after 2 weeks of no activity, it bit back.

A couple of days ago after forgetting to put the charger on for a week and a bit, the car was dead as a dodo. Maybe the battery is getting old.

It charged up OK on the trickle charger, but the next day on the first drive I got some error messages after startup and the cruise control wouldn't work. The next drive it all settled down and is fine.

I shall remember never to mention that the engine has been running sweetly - in case it hears me!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
There may be several things to re-initialize after a battery failure. Just resetting the seat memories will take you a few minutes. Buy some new ones and run strong.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I also think you should have them checked and replace if needed. Even a regular auto supply store can do this for free.

A trickle charger won't bring full charge even left charing for days. You'll need to really drive the car on freeway for a few hours or get a real charger ($40).

This is why I plug in my car after every drive. It will keep the battery lasting much longer.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I drive mine two to four days a week. Trickle chargers cost electricity. Tires and gas are cheaper. Well more fun anyway.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I hear you all on the driving... much better strategy than charging!

The charger is the proper CTEK, I just didn't get round to plugging it in and with the advent of cold weather the batts took a holiday.

I'll check the seat memories. Anything else? It all seems to be running smoothly now anyhow.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
I also think you should have them checked and replace if needed. Even a regular auto supply store can do this for free...
I wouldn't even go outside a dealer. I doubt whether the Bentley-Walmart guys would know how to open the boot, let alone know the procedure for a new fitting.

I learned my lesson long ago and always take my cars to the authorized big boys. I don't care what it costs - it's far cheaper than having some backyard enterprise mess with my baby!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kensilver
I wouldn't even go outside a dealer. I doubt whether the Bentley-Walmart guys would know how to open the boot, let alone know the procedure for a new fitting.

I learned my lesson long ago and always take my cars to the authorized big boys. I don't care what it costs - it's far cheaper than having some backyard enterprise mess with my baby!

I hear you. It depends on if you know what you are doing. Although the dealer is authorized, they don't always do it right either. But I know what you mean. You can simply take out the battery and have it tested. It's a little work but I am a hands on type of guy.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I drive mine two to four days a week. Trickle chargers cost electricity. Tires and gas are cheaper. Well more fun anyway.
As always doc, your logic defies all answers!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by djantlive
...I am a hands on type of guy.
I used to be too. But since spending an hour just trying to fit the CTEK leads to the battery, then figuring what the real cost to my income was for that time plus prep and cleanup, I've continued to let others more experienced do it for me.

To someone like yourself, this kind of fitting and a battery change would be a few minute's enjoyable work. To each their own!

Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by kensilver
As always doc, your logic defies all answers!
I am quite logical but most of the time it appears as ludicrous hyperbole.

Please do tell of the learning experience and spare no embarrassment to yourself.

As far as do it yourself stuff? The best asset a fool can have is self awareness.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
As far as do it yourself stuff? The best asset a fool can have is self awareness.
And a sophisticated toolkit. I value the mallet and crowbar as some of my most-used assets.