Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Thoughts on a week of 2012 CGT ownership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kensilver
The only difference between us is that I have given up 2 luxury cars and the rights to my first-born to acquire this current object of a thousand yearnings. And each time I go past my old CGT in the showroom, I automatically catch myself thinking, that's still a d*mn fine automobile.
Each advance in life has some regret and for a while we reflect on the cost of that advance. It is only natural to examine briefly that cost only to realize later it was well worth the effort and the expense.

Last edited by Grwisher; 12-18-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kensilver
I don't believe it for a second, my friend. There's more to you than you're letting on.
Thanks Ken we all like to be appreciated.

Most of us make choices that involve sacrifice or balance and i to might afford a new one BUT I am not willing to give up other areas of my life that involve expenditures.

Well now looking at the posts GR has already said what i was going to but he did a better job. x2 buddy.

I just decided last night about that Shearling coat I spoke of on another thread. I got up this morning and after five minutes that reflection/examination began. An hour later I re-afirm my choice.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Excellent report and what a great early Xmas present!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jc_333
...what a great early Xmas present!
Yes it is. But here's the unusual bit - as I was going through my records for purchase dates of my cars over the past decade, I saw that all but one of them were bought in December! Year after year I've make a car change of some kind at the same time, but didn't realize the pattern until now.

Wonder what's coming up for me next December?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:12 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Thanks for the comparison. We had an '08 GTC Mulliner that we traded two years go. Last week we ordered a '13 GTC Mulliner. Glad to hear we are getting a much improved car. We ordered the Naim audio. Is it with the extra $$$?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by imcarnuts
...Last week we ordered a '13 GTC Mulliner. Glad to hear we are getting a much improved car. We ordered the Naim audio. Is it with the extra $$$?
You'll be pleasantly surprised how the new model drives by comparison. Perhaps you missed the enthusiasm in my post, but I can tell you now - I have not driven a better car, ever. It is superb.

As for the audio, sorry, you're talking to the wrong guy. The only time in my cars that I've turned on the tv, radio or played a DVD is to check to see what the button was and if it worked However my daughter had it up to volume 5 the other day and it is sweet! She's a audiophile and loved it too.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the comparison. We had an '08 GTC Mulliner that we traded two years go. Last week we ordered a '13 GTC Mulliner. Glad to hear we are getting a much improved car. We ordered the Naim audio. Is it with the extra $$$?
I had a 2012 GT without the Naim audio. I traded it for a 2013 GTC that came with the Naim audio. I believe it has 14 speakers, a subwoofer and produces 1,100 watts. There is something about the sound compared to the standard audio that makes it worthwhile. From time to time, on a beautiful day with the top down, I will put it on full blast - there is nothing like it. You will lose your ski hole however.

Here is an article about the Naim written by our own funky fastidious fearless fellow forum friend EnjoyTheMusic:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...im_bentley.htm
Among other things he said: "The music sounded quite impressive, and perhaps one of the best stock audio systems my ears have heard to date. It also faired quite well to the no-holds-barred megabuck systems my ears have heard at competitions. From harmonics to dynamics, the system was quite impressive."

Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 AM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Grwisher
I had a 2012 GT without the Naim audio. I traded it for a 2013 GTC that came with the Naim audio. I believe it has 14 speakers, a subwoofer and produces 1,100 watts. There is something about the sound compared to the standard audio that makes it worthwhile. From time to time, on a beautiful day with the top down, I will put it on full blast - there is nothing like it. You will lose your ski hole however.

Here is an article about the Naim written by our own funky fastidious fearless fellow forum friend EnjoyTheMusic:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...im_bentley.htm
Among other things he said: "The music sounded quite impressive, and perhaps one of the best stock audio systems my ears have heard to date. It also faired quite well to the no-holds-barred megabuck systems my ears have heard at competitions. From harmonics to dynamics, the system was quite impressive."
Thanks for the endorsement of the NAIM. It is the one option we were hesitant about due to the cost. Both of us have the Burmeister in our Cayennes and it is such an improvement over the stock BOSE system that we decided to go for the upgrade in the Bentley. Also appreciate the link. As far as the ski hole, neither of us ski and if we did we have the Cayennes. Sorry to the OP as I am getting a little off track. I still have a few days to change the order so I will start a new thread listing how I speced the Bentley. If anybody has any advice on whether I should eliminate anything or missed anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 AM
I still have a few days to change the order so I will start a new thread listing how I speced the Bentley. If anybody has any advice on whether I should eliminate anything or missed anything, I would greatly appreciate it.
Please do.

I actually ordered a 2013 GTC to replace my 2012 GT (long story) and spent many agonizing hours weighing the various options. I would be delighted to inflict my opinion on you and your family.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Very nice write up... Congrats. Im enjoying my first GT and it's indeed a nice car.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
GRwisher, you had a 12 and now the 13. Any engineering difference on the two? The options should all be the same right?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
GRwisher, you had a 12 and now the 13. Any engineering difference on the two? The options should all be the same right?
As I recall, I was told that there was no difference between the 2012 and 2013. I think that the 2012 represented the biggest change to the Continental since it was introduced in 2003 as a 2004.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
As I recall, I was told that there was no difference between the 2012 and 2013. I think that the 2012 represented the biggest change to the Continental since it was introduced in 2003 as a 2004.
Are you driving the crap out of that thing like you are supposed to?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
Are you driving the crap out of that thing like you are supposed to?
You betcha!

Old 12-27-2012, 09:01 PM
pratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nicepratas is just really nice
Does the 2013 W12 come with the new 8-speed transmission? My local dealer asked me to put the deposit soon since the price will rise due to the new transmission....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a week of 2012 CGT ownership