Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

First Ride V8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Lebanese_GT
When I visited Dresden (VW), they made a point during the factory tour that the W12 was one of the most expensive per-unit engines in the company and that the W8 (Passat) had been an experiment but not financially justifiable. The W engines all use unconventional angles for their componentry and require all kinds of custom jigs, tooling, etc. to get them to work properly. This is probably part of why modifying traditional V engines (like the V10 in the Gallardo with its 18-degree pin offset to make an even-firing 90-degree V10 instead of having to make a new 72-degree engine block) makes more financial sense than building these exotic W designs. Plus, getting the cooling and other dynamics to work in the W engines is very hard, especially with forced induction (though Piech felt strongly about the W12 and W16, since he designed the engines and was Chairman of VW at the time, so could spend billions making these ideas work).
Well there's my enlightenment for the day. I expect the W12 in more costly to repair also?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Lebanese_GT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Well there's my enlightenment for the day. I expect the W12 in more costly to repair also?
I don't see why repair costs would be impacted so much, the main issue is that the bore and headwork angles of the engine are unconventional, leading to large sunk tooling and training costs in manufacturing. Maintenance and after-sales costs should be similar to other engines of similar age, displacement, and output.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Well true except for spark plug replacemeant. Do you still have the manifold off to get to the V8 plugs?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I recall driving the merc sl550 and admiring the transmission and that made the much less powerful motor feel pretty darn good. I still just had to buy the GTC.
Hee, Hee!

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Grwisher
Hee, Hee!
What do you use the golf cart for GR? And what's the floor cover? If you don't mind me asking.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kensilver
What do you use the golf cart for GR? And what's the floor cover? If you don't mind me asking.
The golf cart was an impulse buy and a toy to drive around the neighborhood. We were at a ducks unlimited type affair where a vendor had the cart for sale for $3,500. We thought it was new when actually it was several years old. It is decked out in Texas Longhorn decals, where I graduated, and is really nicely done.

Come to think of it, all three vehicles in this picture, were impulse buys. As I have posted earlier, the blue CGTC was purchased recently instead of a black one that I had ordered. When I went to take delivery of the black one, the blue one was on the showroom floor and I fell in love with it. And at the last minute bought it instead of the black one. The red SL is 8 years old and was also an impulse buy and that is another story.

The floor covering is a product called "Decadence". It is a carpet like vinyl which is, IMHO, a terrific product for both the garage and boat docks.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:49 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
The golf cart was an impulse buy...Come to think of it, all three vehicles in this picture, were impulse buys...
Nothing like an unpremeditated impulse to stir your life up

I notice you park your cars with the Bentley on the right, as I do. It wouldn't be much of an observation on its own except I see quite a few owners with multiple autos who garage their most important car on the right, regardless of country. Just google a few pics of high end garages to see that strange occurrence.

So I wonder also, do left handed people preference-park differently? What side will Google selfdrive cars park if the owners give them a choice?

Am I the first to notice this strange phenomenon I wonder? If so, I claim it worldwide as the Preferential Actuation by Ken Silver (PARK) Effect.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Nothing like an unpremeditated impulse to stir your life up

I notice you park your cars with the Bentley on the right, as I do. It wouldn't be much of an observation on its own except I see quite a few owners with multiple autos who garage their most important car on the right, regardless of country. Just google a few pics of high end garages to see that strange occurrence.

So I wonder also, do left handed people preference-park differently? What side will Google selfdrive cars park if the owners give them a choice?

Am I the first to notice this strange phenomenon I wonder? If so, I claim it worldwide as the Preferential Actuation by Ken Silver (PARK) Effect.
In my case the door to the house is on the left, so the shortest vehicle is on the left. Sorry to spoil your discovering a universal truth.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM
In my case the door to the house is on the left, so the shortest vehicle is on the left. Sorry to spoil your discovering a universal truth.
You're only one fly in my world takeover ointment GR!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:29 PM
You're only one fly in my world takeover ointment GR!
I don't why i do it? Just take over the world,why should I care? Maybe I am worried that you won't be as fair and balanced as I would be.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
It sure seems to. I now regularly use the paddles whereas I rarely used them in my GTC Speed. Having double clutches translates to very fast shifts so it's quite engaging to use the paddles now.
These are nice cars. I drove the V8 and liked it a lot. I drove a GT Speed a few years ago and, IMO, the lighter (a relative term here) front end was definitely noticeable.

Regarding the transmission: the 8-spd transmission is a torque-converter automatic, not a double-clutch setup.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Speedraser

Regarding the transmission: the 8-spd transmission is a torque-converter automatic, not a double-clutch setup.
I stand corrected. It does shift in 200 milliseconds and one can downshift from 8th to 2nd so it's still fun to use, regardless. Not a slush box like most automatics.

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:54 PM
...Maybe I am worried that you won't be as fair and balanced as I would be.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
I've done a switcheroo on V8's, after driving the Mercedes SLS roadster for a couple of days. After being a bit so-so on the 8, I now officially love the V8 sound! Can't wait to drive a Bentley V8 to do the comparison.