Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Which Engine is best

Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 AM
The Sat Diver is on a distinguished road
Which Engine is best

I'm a newbie and joined today so I might use this forum and all the expertise available to help me choose my first Bentley.. I have in mind an Arnage model between 1998 to 2001

Could anyone advise me as to what faults to look for in this car and which engine is the best one to choose in terms of everyday running and general reliability

Is it the BMW 4.4 or the VW 6.75.. bearing in mind it will be my daily driver as opposed to something that only comes out once a month

Thanks

Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
the BMW engine has a terrible turbo lag and just feels like the engine is struggling to pull such a heavy car,me personally and i have worked on both would go for the 6.75 litre,with correct maintenance it is a lovely drive,far better than the BMW engine. when buying have a good look around the car and make sure all windows work ,there is no bounce in the rear suspension and the front end is not "wavy",the front lower control arm bushes wear on these cars and are £400 each and thats not fitted.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 AM
The Sat Diver is on a distinguished road
Well that's a very interesting bit of info and just what I was hoping for thank you very much..

I have also heard that the 6.75 head gaskets go around 70k.. is this true or is this what you mean by buying a well maintained unit..

Really appreciate the info thanks..

Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
admittedly i have done a few head gaskets,but like i said look for a well maintained one that is going to be rare,when you go to buy look at heads and see if they have been done,look especially at service history and whether coolant hoses have been replaced at correct intervals . all cars suffer head gasket issues .