Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

06 Bentley GTC Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Bentley service did a smoke test. The oil tube is being replaced and there are two small leaks. One by a t-connector they can handle and one somewhere behind the engine. The tech said he R/R'ed the oil tube top bit and the leak by the T he can reach and fix. The leak behind the engine is minor and he said to drive her and see how she does as fixing that is indeed engine out. With his fixes the car does not throw any alerts so we shall see how it goes. Really great guys at my Bentley dealer.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 11-30-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:22 PM
bigshot will become famous soon enough
5$ to replace that rubber sleeve. Good thing I didn't have to buy the whole assembly. Will see how it goes from there. Hopefully that's it. Don't even drive it much.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Greg007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help Bentley tech

Bentley Tech my 2005 Bentley Continental gt is idling rough as well. I'm assuming that it could have a vaccum leak. The codes are misfires on cylinder 1-6 the entire bank 1. Will a vaccum cause misfires or does the exhaust temperature sensor cause it?

Old 07-28-2016, 03:11 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
hi Greg, when you pulled the codes was there any for the exhaust temperature sensor, then under the hood have you checked for any air leaks, did this issue just start. Have you done a smoke test, check for water ingress where the ecms sit. Can you hear the vacuum pump running excessively, also check connector to the mass air flow sensors.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:36 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
Hi guys

I have had a very similar experience with my 06 GT its been on going for almost a year now.

First it was the MAF sensor throwing an error so replaced it.

Then getting "Overheating see manual" message on DIS so changed exhaust gas temp sensor

Then again same MAF error so we checked the wire connections which connect up the maf circuit and they are very small pins that connect it up and it looked as though someone had tried to test them without the proper tool and used a paperclip in the holes to test which damaged them making them wider than they should be so we replaced the connectors.

Same error again so rewired the whole maf circuit.

Same error again so smoke tested and found a leak in the charge cooler (Intercooler) my indy thinks the car may have been in a bump at some point and repaired but someone had missed the intercooler damage. My indy who use to work at the Bentley factory says he has seen this problem in the past with a damaged intercooler.

Waiting on a new one to arrive so will update next week if its sorted but may give someone else a few pointers to check with rough idle running.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:24 AM
gtrkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all, I have a 2005 Bentley Continental GT I bought out out of the UK as a non runner. It was a bit of a punt on my part but now the car is here it was worth the risk given how little I paid for it. A beautiful modern classic!
Found the initial problem to be the KESSY unit full of water. Replaced with second hand unit.....swapped the eeprom and it was plug and play.
Latest problem perhaps someone can help with.....
Replaced the KESSY and it fired right up. It ran for about 30 seconds and shut down. DTC P0101, mass air flow sensor.
Removed and cleaned the MAF sensors and refitted. No different....started and ran for 30 seconds....over and over, same 30 seconds and same code. I have VCDS to clear codes with every time.
Does anyone know, Is it the ECU shutting the car down because it senses a fault with the MAF sensor or circuit...or perhaps something else?
Does anyone have any knowledge around testing MAF sensors or perhaps a common problem with Bentley around these same symptoms? Do cat converters block on these cars?
Any help would be appreciated.
Stephen.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:12 AM
Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gtrkiwi
Hi all, I have a 2005 Bentley Continental GT I bought out out of the UK as a non runner. It was a bit of a punt on my part but now the car is here it was worth the risk given how little I paid for it. A beautiful modern classic!
Found the initial problem to be the KESSY unit full of water. Replaced with second hand unit.....swapped the eeprom and it was plug and play.
Latest problem perhaps someone can help with.....
Replaced the KESSY and it fired right up. It ran for about 30 seconds and shut down. DTC P0101, mass air flow sensor.
Removed and cleaned the MAF sensors and refitted. No different....started and ran for 30 seconds....over and over, same 30 seconds and same code. I have VCDS to clear codes with every time.
Does anyone know, Is it the ECU shutting the car down because it senses a fault with the MAF sensor or circuit...or perhaps something else?
Does anyone have any knowledge around testing MAF sensors or perhaps a common problem with Bentley around these same symptoms? Do cat converters block on these cars?
Any help would be appreciated.
Stephen.
I'm just thinking out loud, but I wonder whether the engine runs on a preset map for the first thirty seconds after start up, and only when it attempts to go into closed loop mode does it flag a fault.
Presumably you've checked the fuse for the MAF power supply?
Also, have you tried swapping the MAF sensors from side to side to whether the fault moves?
Also you've checked all the intake ducts for obstructions or any rubbish that got ingested during the long journey?
Using VCDS can you watch the reported MAF values to see whether they differ significantly side-to-side? If so this would indicate an air leak, or presumably a difference in behaviour of one or other turbos.
Also you should be able to see whether the values are smooth or changing randomly.
Have you got access to a smoke machine to gently pressurise the intake pipework?

Sorry to offer more questions than answers...

Old 06-14-2020, 10:43 PM
Thanks Dark Green, I will spend a bit of time following your advice as soon as I can find time. Things are supposed to get quiet post covid but it is exactly the opposite over here. We are so busy i don't have any time to play with my car....gutted!
It seems I have to replace an alternator bearing as well which as i read is a mission in itself. Not looking forward to that.
I will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:09 AM
Hi Dark Green and everyone interested, my car is finally up and running albeit with a noisy alternator bearing.
I replaced the MAF sensors and it ran better with no codes but still only for 30 seconds or so. Actually it was 20 seconds and not 30 as I had guessed. This is significant as I read pump 1 runs for 20 seconds on startup and then cuts out leaving pump 2 to do it's thing. A light went off in my head so I once again checked all fuses in all fuse boxes but sadly nothing was blown.....what next you ask......I checked for power at the pump relays in the boot / trunk fuse box and sure enough no power at number 2 main feed. The main battery fuse cover is missing so no fuse reference and nothing to compare with the actual fuses as they are fitted. More research around fuses and location. (The Bentley manuals seem overly complex and disjointed in my view so it takes practice and patience to find the info you are after.) Turns out the fuse relating to pump 2 was missing altogether hence I was not able to find a blown fuse......because someone had removed it and I had not taken the time to check for it's existence......I didn't even realise it was missing!
The moral to this story is not to take anything for granted and go back to basics rather than over complicate things as I have tended to do.
Not looking forward to the alternator repair. If anyone has info around replacement bearings as in numbers etc it would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Not so Covid free (anymore) NZ!

Old 06-21-2020, 02:54 AM
Iain 1250 has much to be proud ofIain 1250 has much to be proud ofIain 1250 has much to be proud ofIain 1250 has much to be proud ofIain 1250 has much to be proud ofIain 1250 has much to be proud ofIain 1250 has much to be proud ofIain 1250 has much to be proud of
Great news Stephen, glad it's fixed, now on to the next fix