Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

06 Bentley GTC Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:03 AM
bigshot will become famous soon enough
06 Bentley GTC Rough Idle

New problem occured today. Eveything was fine until I shut the engine off, went for a bite and came back after about half hour, tried to start it up again and after 4 times it would shut off after 1 second.

Tried again after 5 mins with key in ignition (as opposed to using start engine button) and it started like normal.

Drove it for about 10 km with no signs of problems or check engine light coming on. Shut it for about 10 mins and start it again to realize it was idling rough for about 5 secs (like it was about to shut off) but then was fine again.

What could that be ? Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Old 11-22-2013, 05:01 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Having same problem here with 07 GTC, but now it happens during cold start and when idling in general. Operates ok during normal drive, with perhaps occasional stumbles. She's going to the Bentley service shop on Monday. Some say there is a pipe/hose that tends to crack and cause this situation. Hmm, did someone programs in some date code or expiration date on a Bentley part from the factory to cause this, as it seems to be a reoccurring theme recently on quite a few cars on Bentley discussion boards. Hopefully the factory takes care of things as this is a problem that appears to be happening quite a bit recently and the car here was offered with a Bentley Pre-Owned Certified Warranty plus the 40k was done this spring before delivery.

Will report back what the factory service says and any costs accordingly. Hopefully the factory makes it right as it appears to be a known defect.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 11-22-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 AM
AE86_SF is on a distinguished road
have it checked for vacuum leaks to the intake manifold. Also possible loose engine oil dip stick or mass air flow sensor.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 AM
White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !White991TT Is a GOD !
Anyone pulled the codes yet?

Old 11-22-2013, 12:43 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Have not pulled any codes and my local guy could not see any codes on his (albeit basic) machine. Will ask my friend at Bentley service what code it threw when they get the car on Monday. I did check oil level/dip stick and of course fuel cap for tightness.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Just was checking the car and the oil tube/dip stick assembly has two plastic bits. A harder plastic bit is on the tube itself and a softer plastic bit on the removable stick. The harder bit on the tube is cracked/broken, thus am betting there is a lack of sealing ability in the overall connection. Hopefully this is the problem and is a simple a fix once the factory has a look at her. Could it really be this simple?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by AE86_SF
have it checked for vacuum leaks to the intake manifold. Also possible loose engine oil dip stick or mass air flow sensor.
Will do.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 PM
To my surprise, when I checked the oil dip stick, the part where it sits when its completely in is cracked. I'll post a pic on my next post.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Is that easy to change ? Is that the cause maybe ? I was also a bit low on the oil level so I topped it up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(2).JPG
Views:	1235
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	305176  
Old 11-24-2013, 03:16 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
the dipstick is very easy to change and if you already have a newer one fitted you can switch the top and that will reseal and should improve idle.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Thanks Bentley Tech! During normal driving she feels fine and all peppy and ready to run, so if this is the culprit colour me a very happy man per se. Of course that part should not break at all, yet am sure during some point there was a design change as the factory caught on this perhaps common situation. Thanks again BentleyTech, all help is ALWAYS appreciated.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 11-24-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:52 AM
GabrielStanciu is on a distinguished road
Same issue here.
I believe it taking "fake" air. Can someone post some more picture on how/where/which hoses could be cracked? (MY07 GTC)

Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by bentleytech
the dipstick is very easy to change and if you already have a newer one fitted you can switch the top and that will reseal and should improve idle.
So I get a new dip stick at the dealer and it comes with the part I have that's cracked ?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:19 AM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
yes the dipstick comes complete,and if you carefully remove the top sleeve you can transfer it to your damaged one,i would recommend removing the cracked one first to see how it comes off and to see if you feel comfortable doing it,if not you will need to replace the whole assembly which is a bit more difficult.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by bentleytech
yes the dipstick comes complete,and if you carefully remove the top sleeve you can transfer it to your damaged one,i would recommend removing the cracked one first to see how it comes off and to see if you feel comfortable doing it,if not you will need to replace the whole assembly which is a bit more difficult.
Yeah took my heat gun and warmed it up a little bit and it came right off. Kinda pissed that I'll have to buy the whole thing just to replace that part...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 06 Bentley GTC Rough Idle