Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Day 1 - W12 & V8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 AM
Condor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Am curious what you felt didn't quite match up to your preferences / lifestyle with the Speed? Have debated the Speed for tighter suspension and, let us all be honest here, the GT / GTC rear seats are impossible for true usability.
It came down to the sound.

My last speed was a 2010, so it was quite old technology.

Believe it or not, I could purchase a new Speed for the same price as the V8S and I still went with the S.

Yes, the new speed is quicker.... but it doesn't feel as fast based on the fact that you don't get that V8 rumble. Furthermore the nose of the Speed is so heavy which makes handling a real let down.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I agree the V8 sounds better so i just did an exhaust job on the W12. Now I would say they both sound great but the 12 more exotic. I think most of the two door super car sound better off the showroom floor than the Bentleys do but I think that is part of the gentlemen's true touring car image. The Maserati Grandsport sounds fantastic but it is not the overall GT the Bentley is IMHO.

How does the V8 look better?

Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
It is great we all have choice and agree the sheer weight of these beasts have pros and cons. Bad for handling on dry/track sporty driving, yet great for snow imho. Like many things in life, it is all about compromise to some extent.

Love how quiet the GTC here is, as after living with a modded Ferrari and having an open wheel track car, I really do not want car noise/roar on public roads. Stealth has other advantages too Nowadays I want to hear the music via a high quality sound system (read: very low road noise).

So again, it is great to have choice. Enjoy the V8 as they do have a great sound and less weight. May it bring you many miles of smiles

Old 12-09-2014, 01:29 PM
Condor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud ofCondor Man has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
It is great we all have choice and agree the sheer weight of these beasts have pros and cons. Bad for handling on dry/track sporty driving, yet great for snow imho. Like many things in life, it is all about compromise to some extent.

Love how quiet the GTC here is, as after living with a modded Ferrari and having an open wheel track car, I really do not want car noise/roar on public roads. Stealth has other advantages too Nowadays I want to hear the music via a high quality sound system (read: very low road noise).

So again, it is great to have choice. Enjoy the V8 as they do have a great sound and less weight. May it bring you many miles of smiles

Thank you.

Regarding the speed of course I could have put a sports exhaust on it, but then it would drone and to me that is noise Vs what the V8 sounds like.

The great thing about the V8 is that it is loud when you want it to be and quiet on the highway.

Also the V8 has 40% better fuel economy which means that I won't be at the pump as often which can be annoying.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
The 12 is a thirsty girl. I get about 15-16 mpg overall.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:12 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Condor Man
...I could have put a sports exhaust on it, but then it would drone...

Ugh, I hated the drone. The highly modded Ferrari with 'cherry bomb' exhaust droned on the highway to the point of literal aural exhaustion. It was fatiguing to the point of being almost physically debilitating.

At the racetrack it sounded utterly brilliant tho and occasionally 'threw' blue flames out the end pipe