Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Changing steering wheel switch packs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:16 PM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Changing steering wheel switch packs

I am going to have the switch packs on the steering wheel of my wife's '13 GTC changed out due to the aluminum surround being scratched up quite a bit. The closest dealer states that they will need "1.5 to 2.0 days" to do the job. This seems excessive. Although they are not charging me labor to do this, it is a major inconvenience as I live 3.5 hrs away and I would be out two days of work. I am considering having them ship the parts to me and I will install them myself. Any Bentley mechanics know if there are special tools involved or just standard tooling is used. Also, must the wheel be pulled or can the job be done with it in place. I certainly will obtain the proper procedure manuals prior to doing the job but I ask these questions to determine if I should even consider tackling the swap myself. (I have beaucoup mechanical experience and have access to just about any tool I would need short of some sort of Bentley specific specialized tool).

The story concerning the scratches will only be discussed via PM in case anyone was going to ask.

Robin

Old 12-04-2014, 09:06 AM
WES77Y will become famous soon enoughWES77Y will become famous soon enough
It's the airbag puller tool that is the tricky part, but once you have the airbag off its a 2 min job!

Old 12-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
The ONLY question I had was about how the scratches occurred so PM on the way.

My guess in open forum is it's the 47 karats of diamonds hanging off the woman's fingers.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 PM
If you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge for the switch packs over there?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:20 PM
robinardoin has a spectacular aura aboutrobinardoin has a spectacular aura about
Wes, I was quoted about $1,800 including tax/shipping for the pair.

So I gather there is a specialized tool to remove the airbag? And, is this something that can be accomplished by two experienced (but not professional) mechanics safely? To bring it in for repair at the dealership will require two of my workdays and a 7hr. round trip so as you see I am trying to avoid that if I can.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:45 PM
You could probably make yourself a tool out of some steel rod or coat hanger as I have done in the past, access is the problem so patience is key, the cowling around steering column will need to be removed for best access. The switch packs just push in place but best to use a little soap or alike to make easier. Send me your email as I may be able to help with new switch packs!! Regards Westy