Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Key Fob upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Key Fob upgrade

I know this has been posted here, (and thank you for all the help) but I would like to contribute this HowTo with pictures how I switched my VW 1st gen fob to the new updated Bentley fob.

I acquired a used new type fob from Ebay for $150 or so. The first challenge was to disassemble it. First, I removed the metal siding where the key folds in to. Just insert a screwdriver into the slot and pry. The siding will pop off:

Then pry off the top cover with the B logo on it like so:

Then you should have pieces like below:

I was a bit of a challenge prying off the final siding piece, since it was pretty hard in there, but being persistent and using a little larger screwdriver I initially attempted with, I finally was able to pop it off:

You can see in the picture where I inserted the screwdriver. I carefully picked a location to pry from where I could not scratch the fob.

After the metal siding is removed, you have to unscrew the two silver torx screws as shown on the left in the picture above. After the screws are removed, carefully lift off the black cover. You will feel it want to twist because of the spring retaining the key blade. off load the spring by twisting the cover while it is not totally pulled off. Do not just pull it off. If you do parts may fly off the assembly.

You should now have the circuit board exposed. The nice thing with the Bentley fobs is that the immobilizer chip is a part of the circuit board and not baked into the plastic so you don't have to dig it out. The white square on the right side is the immobilizer chip in the picture below:

Below you can see the circuit board in the old Audi/VW fob is identical to the Bentley one:

Now, the easy part. Just reverse the procedure assembling the old Audi/VW circuit board into the Bentley fob.

Next step is to switch the key blade from the old fob into the new one. If you unspring the blade like in the picture below you will notice a pin which holds the key blade in place:

Just take a very small punch an knock the pin out.

Blade removed should look like so:

Do the same on the Bentley fob and switch the blades. Knock the pins back in again. Make sure the are at least flush the hole so the pin will not bind while folded into the fob.

An interesting tidbit of information is when I first assembled the Bentley fob I tried to test it with the wrong key blade, I could still turn it in the key lock and start my car with it. I guess it shows there is no actual key cylinder in the start lock inside the car. Of course I could not open the doors with the old blade.

Hope this Helps,

Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Excellent explanation!! Thank you for the effort of photographing and explaining each step. Invaluable!!

Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 PM
67427 will become famous soon enough
Clarification

Photo 4 out of 9 showing the prying of the second side guard

First, thank you for an invaluable post. I have been waiting with an almost new fob I found in EBay for this type oh information for close to a year because it I had found it impossible to figure out how to pry the second side guard. Even with your excellent description I stll have not bee able to pry that cover off. I was wondering if you know the size blade of the screwdriver you used to pry off that side. Thanks.

Last edited by 67427; 01-27-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Taking out all of the prior photos.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 AM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 67427
Photo 4 out of 9 showing the prying of the second side guard

First, thank you for an invaluable post. I have been waiting with an almost new fob I found in EBay for this type oh information for close to a year because it I had founded it impossible to figure out how to pry the second side guard. Even with your excellent description I stll have not bee able to pry that cover off. I was wondering if you know the size blade of the screwdriver you used to pry off that side. Thanks.

You have to put some muscle in it for the side to come off. For me this was the hardest thing to realize. In the beginning I was too scared damaging the fob. I don't remember exactly which size blade I used, but found by trial and error that the blade cannot be too big, so it doesn't grip between the fob and side.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:01 PM
67427 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Zaos
You have to put some muscle in it for the side to come off. For me this was the hardest thing to realize. In the beginning I was too scared damaging the fob. I don't remember exactly which size blade I used, but found by trial and error that the blade cannot be too big, so it doesn't grip between the fob and side.
Thank you I have not pried it off with power for the same reason you mention, damage to the fob. Will do what you suggest.

Last edited by 67427; 01-27-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I used a half inch chisel to do mine.
Remember! Chisels are very sharp.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:39 PM
DDB
DDB is on a distinguished road
I just broke my original key trying to do this. Thanks to your detailed post, I got the new key open rather easily, just took about 20 min. The old key got me though.

TO ALL THOSE ATTEMPTING THIS, NOTE THAT THE GUTS ARE VERY SENSITIVE (not that most people would not already assume this, but just note it one more time anyway, to avoid my lovely fate)

I have a post about it:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-new-fob.html

Last edited by DDB; 02-01-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
I'm curious of the price of the VW/Audi FOB versus the Bentley version at factory MSRP.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
It's in the name.'Bentley'.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
What is so bad about the "old" key fob that one should go through all the trouble, risks and costs to get into the upgrade?

Maybe i'm jus the kind if guy that would still be saying these old rock tools are just fine.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:32 PM
DDB
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
What is so bad about the "old" key fob that one should go through all the trouble, risks and costs to get into the upgrade?

Maybe i'm jus the kind if guy that would still be saying these old rock tools are just fine.
you have the new fob standard dr, all gtc models were made with the new fob as far as i know. its a trivial thing, but the new fob is the nicest key on the market, and once youve held it, you want it. a small thing, but an added enjoyment.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 PM
DDB
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
I'm curious of the price of the VW/Audi FOB versus the Bentley version at factory MSRP.
its in the 100s, cheaper than the new one, but far more expensive than the original vw key, which it is.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DDB
you have the new fob standard dr, all gtc models were made with the new fob as far as i know. its a trivial thing, but the new fob is the nicest key on the market, and once youve held it, you want it. a small thing, but an added enjoyment.
I would have never known. I have always thought the fob was fine. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 PM
benzjaag is an unknown quantity at this point
Just reading this old thread.

Am I correct to assume he used his "old" FOB internals in the newer case? Also, how could he turn the ignition switch with "new" key from the newer FOB? I thought the key is cut to match the ignition cylinder? How would a different key be able to turn the ignition switch (and start the car)????

Richard

Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
The key does not do anything other than turn the ignition switch. The RFDI chip inside your key fob communicates with the immobilizer unit allowing the car to start. The cut key is only useful for locking your doors and etc. conventionally. Any key can turn your ignition switch. However, if the RFDI chip in a key fob is not programmed to the car, it will not start.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 08-10-2018 at 08:20 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Key Fob upgrade