Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2008 GTC Top Mechanism Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:27 AM
bkrpdx is on a distinguished road
2008 GTC Top Mechanism Issue

When putting down my top, one of the boot cover panels is not retracting. In the pictures you can see on the driver's (left) side, the small panel remains closed (photo 1) while the right side opens flat (photo 2). This operation is controlled by a spring and a cable (photo 3). The cable passes down into the bowels (photo 4), presumably to a little motor somewhere. One would guess the motor had failed, but it has not - it closes just fine (see photo 5). On closing, the motor pulls the panel down. On opening, I believe the spring is supposed to pull it up flat, but the motor is not providing slack to the cable.

So is it a motor problem? Where is the motor? Is it accessible? Is it a cable lubrication problem? Any tips would be appreciated - it is almost 200 miles to a dealer. Alternatively, any good leads for a good shop for this work in Portland, Oregon?

Thanks.

Brian.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150120_114542_resized.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	412413   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150120_114555_resized.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	412414   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150120_114645_resized.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	412415   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150120_114626_resized.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	412416   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150120_114726_resized.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	412417  

Old 01-21-2015, 04:41 PM
hpnewport is on a distinguished road
Brian, I just had the exact same issue on my 2009 GTC...its probably not the motor: lift the top until it can't go any further before damaging that 'flap'...follow the cable from the flap down under the lid covering all the way down where the roof stores itself....the cable goes through a bracket with a hole in it...the cheap-*** plastic piece that holds the metal cable/housing in place to give it tension, had pulled through the eyelet...when I moved it back towards its position it broke in half...to replace entire cable was $489 parts=$135 labor $350...i thought i might be able to to replace myself until i read the instructions to do so...you don't want to try it! Unfortunately, Bentley built this $2xx,xxx + car with a plastic piece that probably cost less than a penny per car. My dealer wanted me to replace the entire cable system with the newer version that costs $1600 but i didn't accept that...

I will post some pictures later when i get back to my desktop...

Old 01-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Hpnewport,

Thank you!

I took your suggestion and lowered the top just enough to open the lid, leaving the top storage empty. Doing so reveals where the cable on each side threads through. Both are taut. Both dissappear into the bottom but must pass through into the space behind the rear seat armrests. I cannot see a motor. I also cannot see where the cables pass through the sheet metal. I can see black plastic retaining clips, but they all appear intact.

What have you done? If I get out of the car at the right time, I can manually extend the flap, and then it will go down fine. Going up works fine.

Thanks,

Brian.

Last edited by bkrpdx; 01-21-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:31 PM
It is the most slender cable - on the rightmost.

B.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150121_160045_resized.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	412437   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150121_160122_resized.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	412438  
Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Cable bends up

Once you are down in the well where the cable starts to
disappear you have to follow it with your hand and I think you'll see that it curves up and back towards the tonneau cover. Mine was
Taught also but when the lid lifts it is pulling that cable through it's mount and therefore is pulling against nothing. I took a video of mine which I can email you if I can get your email. I can also try to post it on
This site when I get home

Last edited by hpnewport; 01-21-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:35 PM
Hpnewport,

PM with my email sent.

I looked again. You are, of course, correct that the cable doubles back. The cable housing ends where the cable passes through part of the metal of the mechanism, and the cable itself connects to another part. Pretty intelligently engineered, really, and a lot better than the hydraulic systems in the Jags I have owned. But the clip where the housing ends is intact, and the cable is secure.

I eagerly await your video to see if I am missing something.

Thanks,

Brian.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Well, the clip is intact, and the cable housing is secure. If I position the top "just so" I can move the flap manually, and it feels like the cable is sticking in the housing - with some exercise, it moves more freely, but not enough to move on its own. Is there a spot where it might be kinked? Do these need to be lubricated?

Any other ideas? (hpnewport's was a great idea and very helpful - at the very least I understand the mechanism much better).

Thanks,

Brian.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 AM
did you resolve your issue?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Sadly, no. It is definitely not the clip. It does seem to be a kink somewhere that I cannot see -- if I wiggle the cable (housing) where it passes from the tonneau cover to the top storage area, the door will move. I tried spraying silicone penetrant and blasting it through the housing with compressed air, but it did not help. I have been too chicken to try removing the panels and looking for the kink as Bentley Bellevue told me there are a lot of easily-broken clips.

Brian.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
That flap is purely mechanical. It attaches to the base of the frame. To be honest the only way to make it work "reliably" again is replacing the cable. It is very similar to a bicycle brake cable. It is a metal cable with a metal casing that is coated in rubber. What has happened is the metal sheathing has been crushed and is creating the added friction. Not sure how you can fix this. with enough time and money anything is possible. Watch when operating the top that the flap does not contact the last bow. This usually tears the canvas and bends the flap frame.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Thank you. Yes, I suspect the cable has become crimped somewhere in the portion behind the "upholstery" - the bottom of the tonneau or the floor of the top storage. My dealer cautioned me that removing those panels involves many clips which break easily. "Christmas trees" he called them. Another gentleman indicated it cost him $1,700 to have the cable replaced. My dealer guessed it was four to five hours of work (at $200/hour) plus the cable (he called it a bowsing (sp?) cable), which he guessed to be several hundred.

I have thought about going to a local, good upholsterer and getting an estimate for the labor and calling the dealer for the actual part price. I assume there is no other source for the part.

I did try lubricating the cable, and it did free up slightly, but not enough. I used a silicone spray and an air compressor to force the silicone down the housing.

Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:29 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Try motorcycle cable lube system. Bring the car to your local motorcycle shop as they should have it.