Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2005 Arnage R

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 AM
bWilKINS is on a distinguished road
2005 Arnage R

Quick question about my 2005 Arnage R. While I was driving it on Saturday the 'Throttle Control' warning popped up on the multi-display following by a TC light which I think is tied into the same system. The car still drives perfectly and seems to be functioning correctly but the warning is annoying and I would like to know what it is. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for an hour or so before hooking it back up, it cleared it temporarily but then came back after a short drive. TC light comes and goes while the throttle control warning is still up. I checked all the MAF connections etc under the hook, everything is still hooked up but I didnt try cleaning any plugs or anything as of yet.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:07 AM
Anyone before I take it to the dealer?

Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Alas, not a clue and can not recall seeing this problem on other sites. Wish I knew more

Old 04-20-2015, 12:18 PM
No problem, thanks for the reply anyway. Another new development, I noticed my brake lights were stuck on the other day, disconnected the battery again and took it around the block and they were off. Throttle control warning went away when I disconnected the battery as well. I am thinking these two issues have to be tied together. I had having to take my cars to the dealer, I am usually able to self-diagnose every issue but it would appear the lack of online resources for this car are limiting my ability to do that.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:31 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Old 04-21-2015, 09:41 AM
^^^^i have not, I didnt know that forum existed. Thanks for that, I will go through it when I have some time after work tonight.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:55 AM
Just thought I would update this in case anyone is looking for similar info in the future. I was able to figure it out myself, the brake lights sticking on and what felt like a light drag on the brakes had me wondering if i had a seized caliper so I checked them all and they were good. I then started playing with the brake pedal and noticed that when I pushed it down and let off I could reach down and pull it back up another 1/2" or so before it went to 'rest' position. This made the brake lights turn off and the drag from the brakes go away so then I figured it was a master cylinder. I got under the car and took the access panel off and didnt see any significant weepage or leaks from the master cylinder but after look at the crazy linkage Bentley used to be able to mount the master under the driver's floor panel it was look a little crusty and dry so I soaked it in penetrant and took it for a couple short trips over the course of a couple days. The pedal now comes back to full rest on its own, no brake light or drag and no throttle control or TC errors. The brakes being on only slightly must have been throwing off the computer and making it throw the TC and throttle control errors.

Turned out to be an easy fix in the end which is not what I was expecting!

Last edited by bWilKINS; 04-29-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Good fix! Thanks for sharing. You never know who else will have this issue.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:28 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Thx for sharing, always good to know a solution to the odd problem that can crop up on these cars. Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2015, 06:37 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
You may well have also just saved yourself a wad of money. Well done.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Yes I would imagne that the dealer would have replaced the master without trying the linkage first, it likely would have solved the issue but I would imagine the bill would have been around $2k all said and done.

I'll keep starting new threads with problems and solutions for my Arnage as I come across them, there seems to be very few resources online for these cars so hopefully some of my experiences will come in handy one day.