Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Some sad news

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:23 PM
MerryMicrobe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
While I wouldn't say they are falling behind the curve, they certainly aren't leading it, like they used to (when comfort was the main goal). Other makes have caught up in terms of ride comfort, and now seek other ways to improve the luxury aspect.

But to introduce 2 of my personal favorites (excluding Aston, because I think the tech world is passing them by), BMW 650i xDrive M Sport, and Mercedes S63 AMG 4Matic Coupe.

My preference is for AWD (like the CGT). In my experience, I enjoyed the drive a LOT more in the Continental, than in other coupes. So much so, for a few days, I forgot it was a coupe. It felt like a rolling living room... and I don't mean that in a bad way - it was undeniably luxurious. I never felt that it 'needed' more tech. But if I were looking at one today, I'd definitely be cross-shopping other coupes that offer some decent performance with a bit of comfort.
Hi jaspergtr,

Just curious, what year model CGT do you own?

MerryMicrobe

Old 06-11-2015, 03:15 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MerryMicrobe
Hi jaspergtr,

Just curious, what year model CGT do you own?

MerryMicrobe
It was a 2008.

But tech back then is nowhere near it is today. USB ports in cars wasn't that common, nor was GPS/Navi systems standard.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:03 PM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
I'll be the first one to say that Bentley's navigation and entertainment system sucks compared to some of the cars on the market. Forget advanced things like Google maps. I am talking about pathetic things, like being able to display traffic in a 3D map mode. In a Bentley, you can have one or the other, not both. The unresponsive, low resolution touch screen (supposedly it was designed to be unresponsive to prevent "accidental" touches. True statement from a Bentley designer.)

Looking at the other side of the medal...my friend's BMW 6-series solves all these problems. It's still a $90K car, BUT....look around the cabin....plastic here....mismatched materials there.....modest quality paint...huge body gaps....coarse leather...etc. And no double glass!

I agree that Bentley fell behind in areas of telematics and in-car entertainment. But does everyone really want a TFT-based instrument cluster? I would absolutely HATE to have it in my car and will avoid it like plague. I want physical gauges, not freaking displays. I don't want my instrument cluster to be a configurable screen. A small configurable display in the middle like the one that is in a Bentley today is enough.

Those that are complaining about ancient navigation systems will be pretty happy with what Bentayga has to offer. I hope they don't mess with the rest. They already started messing with a beautiful timeless design by releasing a 2016 face lift.

Be satisfied with that you have. It can always get worse

Old 06-12-2015, 09:27 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek1
... But does everyone really want a TFT-based instrument cluster? I would absolutely HATE to have it in my car and will avoid it like plague. I want physical gauges, not freaking displays. I don't want my instrument cluster to be a configurable screen. A small configurable display in the middle like the one that is in a Bentley today is enough.
I agree, completely. We don't just need advanced tech, but BETTER tech. Sometimes the beauty of a gauge is enough (see:Aston Martin). That's the challenge of today's cars. We want standard - everything (because all of those little bells and whistles are relatively free compared to the engineering of the car/frame/driveline/etc...).

But - configurable doesn't necessarily mean cumbersome. Better doesn't mean difficult. It is also one thing I dislike about Mercedes and BMW - it does SO much, it was difficult to actually find functions I wanted. Laugh if you like, but I like Chrysler's setup a little (the new 300 for example). And this goes beyond just the display (which doesn't have to be touch screen).

Last edited by jaspergtr; 06-12-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:18 AM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Don't want to beat a dead horse to the ground any longer, but could not resist. The new BMW 7 has just been unveiled. Of course, it has latest technology, etc. But is this really the car you want to drive?

http://www.autospies.com/news/BEST-Q...-Person-85526/

Like I said before....just be grateful that your Bentley does not come with 6-ft chrome hockey stick glued to it's side

Old 06-13-2015, 08:34 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ek1
....just be grateful that your Bentley does not come with 6-ft chrome hockey stick glued to it's side

OMG LOL and sooo true!

BTW am sure Bentley has something coming soon that will be a beautiful re-working of the GT platform (then a year later in 'GTC' format).

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 06-13-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Well I almost missed the fight. Steven has riled up the Merrymicrobe.

I am near the other end of the spectrum because I do not need tech much at all except i do like a nice music system. Bentley may have gotten complacent and it may bite them in the azz and time will tell.

It sums up like this. How many times have you heard someone say OMG there goes a Mercedes? Porsche? Cadillac? Chevy?

Now how about "Wow there's a Bentley"or "RR"?

When I get in the B and smell it and view it's interior then hear the 12 cylinder engine and feel the huge torque I smile and revel in pleasure. Sorry Steven but i could not even work half of the stuff you list as lacking. Maybe that is why Bentley is still what it is? Most rich old geezers want to ride in enviable style and are not savvy enough to play with the children's new games?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:01 PM
MerryMicrobe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Well I almost missed the fight. Steven has riled up the Merrymicrobe.

I am near the other end of the spectrum because I do not need tech much at all except i do like a nice music system. Bentley may have gotten complacent and it may bite them in the azz and time will tell.

It sums up like this. How many times have you heard someone say OMG there goes a Mercedes? Porsche? Cadillac? Chevy?

Now how about "Wow there's a Bentley"or "RR"?

When I get in the B and smell it and view it's interior then hear the 12 cylinder engine and feel the huge torque I smile and revel in pleasure. Sorry Steven but i could not even work half of the stuff you list as lacking. Maybe that is why Bentley is still what it is? Most rich old geezers want to ride in enviable style and are not savvy enough to play with the children's new games?
Where in the hell have you been?

Old 06-16-2015, 03:31 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Great post Dr D and yes love the smell of the leather.... until it is overcome by a glorious cigar

Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
<big snip> Most rich old geezers want to ride in enviable style and are not savvy enough to play with the children's new games?

So, umm... what is the minimum age for a Bentley GT / GTC driver? 65?

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 06-16-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
On the motorcycles.

I could see your feathers up and ready to rumble. I am a pretty strong defender of the brand also so I understand. Steven is a very tech savvy guy and likes things that i can not even use so he has his point to make. These things cost a ton of money brand new and it stings to see less affluent cars have more of the newer features.

Has Bentley become like Rolex? Rolex does not have to keep good time, because it is a Rolex. Buy a Timex if you are so poor as to need to be on time.

You fix in to take the boat out on the streets again in the upcoming floods? Did you all stay above water?

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 06-17-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Steven you must have the top down for a good Cuban cigar. Leather over smoke my man. The minimum age of the GT driver is mid 50 if he is $$$$$$$$able. I expect Bentley knows that and a wealthy man of 40 will have a Ferrari or Lambo. I really would love to see the mean age of a Bentley owner, all models, and if tech goodies are a large factor in a purchase decision?

Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Hmmm, another great point Dr. D about the average age. Maybe you should start a thread asking age???

And yes, I'm a tech guy so love the 'toys and gadgets'. Perhaps that's why the Tesla seems so inviting. The D is an incredible car in performance... for a few hundred miles and then needs charging. How does that saying go, "and the geeks shall inherit the Earth", or something like that.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:54 PM
I remember when I first heard the term blue tooth and was perplexed. I thought I know quite a bit about teeth but I have never seen blue one????? Well after I found out that it was tech for wireless connection I thought that the name was utterly stupid. I still hate the name.

maybe the next hot tech can be named red azz?

Old 06-17-2015, 01:08 PM
LOL! Naaa, it is USB 3 and cloud integration for streaming audio, video, sync'ing your address book, etc. Simple voice and text messaging from the car's system is so 2005.

Also expect Hi-Res Audio and 4k video making their way into the fold. Just as an FYI, I helped with the MicroSoft's AutoPC in 2009, which was back in the day when no one else had a great single solution for Nav, address book, voice recognition, etc. within a dash unit.

I'm waiting for Android and Apple to be fully implemented into the Bentley. This would solve many problems so they can easily pawn off (read: free) the responsibilities to OS app developers for Nav, live traffic updates, etc. All Bentley has to do is embed the OS into the car's video/audio system plus the normal Wi-Fi/cell data integration. Easy stuff really. Then Bentley can easily offer an app that does everything from vehicle location and security to windows/top operation, monitoring the 'health' of the vehicle... and all the usual app bits.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:36 PM
So if it is so easy and possibly cheap WHY has Bentley not done it? In your opinion , which is correct and superior of course. All bow with reverence at this time to hear the Wizard speak.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Some sad news