Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

No power/electronics unless car is running? Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 11:06 AM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
No power/electronics unless car is running? Help

Im having some problems with my 05 continental gt. All my electronics such as lights/ remote key fob wont work if the car isn't actually running. Even if i turn the ignition on, the only thing that turns on is the speedometer. Then after i start the engine, everything starts working. Is there a module or something acting up? Where do i start? And the check engine light is not on. Thanks

Old 11-29-2015, 08:33 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
what is the condition of your two batteries? Are they fully charged?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:21 AM
turbo_secret will become famous soon enoughturbo_secret will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PMS
what is the condition of your two batteries? Are they fully charged?
Yea they are brand new. Just bought both of them at autozone.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Can you more precisely describe the symptoms? Key out (what works)/key in but not turned (what works), key in and turned (what works and what lights show on the dash), starting symptoms, etc.? On the surface, it would indicate your house battery isn't charged/connected but your starter battery is working.

Last edited by PMS; 11-29-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by PMS
Can you more precisely describe the symptoms? Key out (what works)/key in but not turned (what works), key in and turned (what works and what lights show on the dash), starting symptoms, etc.? On the surface, it would indicate your house battery isn't charged/connected but your starter battery is working.
So basicly nothing ever works if the cars engine isnt running except for the speedometer. And on the speedometer it says visit workshop before i start it but the check engine isnt on? And when i start the car it starts fine and then all the electronics work but as soon as i shut the engine off, everything stops working. Its weird

Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 AM
PMS
when the key is turned, but not to the point it engages the starting protocol (just turned on), what lights do you see on the dash gauges? Additionally, have you tried the emergency starting procedure? I know your car starts, but have you tried turning the key to the left for 10 seconds until you hear a click?

Last edited by PMS; 11-29-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by PMS
when the key is turned, but not to the point it engages the starting protocol (just turned on), what lights do you see on the dash gauges? Additionally, have you tried the emergency starting procedure? I know your car starts, but have you tried turning the key to the left for 10 seconds until you hear a click?
So when i turn the key. It says please start the vehicle or something like that while at the same time another screen pops up and says key fault visit workshop. And no i havnt tried the emergency procedure i dont know what that is?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:48 AM
PMS
Sometimes the starter battery is not strong enough to start the car. By turning (and holding) the key to the left for 11 seconds, the house battery is engaged for starting the car. I have suggested you try this just as a preliminary step. Is it possible the key fob battery is weak (you are getting a key fault)? Do you have a second key fob? If so, try that key. The more precise you can be on the actual faults showing up, the easier it will be to diagnose your problem.

Last edited by PMS; 11-30-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:57 PM
Oh thats nice to know. I had no idea. So when i got the car the key fob wasnt working so i thought the battery was bad. I changed the battery in the key fob. Unless maybe i have to program it? But i dont think its the key fob. Im guessing it might be a module or ignition because whenever i shut the car off, theres like a click noise in the trunk before everything shuts off?

Old 11-30-2015, 07:32 AM
PMS
You shouldn't have to programme the key when you change batteries in the fob. The fact your car starts, indicates the ecm recognizes the key fob. However, you have reported that you are getting a key fault error. Do you have a 2nd key? If so, try that. Do you have access to a diagnostic scanner? This will be the quickest way to determine the cause of your problem.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by PMS
You shouldn't have to programme the key when you change batteries in the fob. The fact your car starts, indicates the ecm recognizes the key fob. However, you have reported that you are getting a key fault error. Do you have a 2nd key? If so, try that. Do you have access to a diagnostic scanner? This will be the quickest way to determine the cause of your problem.
Yea it says system fault visit workshop and it has a key logo above it. And no i dont have a second key :/ closest bentley dealership is 3 hours away. Theres a local vw dealership wonder if they can hook their computer to the car?

Old 12-01-2015, 07:12 AM
PMS
Originally Posted by turbo_secret
Yea it says system fault visit workshop and it has a key logo above it. And no i dont have a second key :/ closest bentley dealership is 3 hours away. Theres a local vw dealership wonder if they can hook their computer to the car?
Yes, underneath the covers, your car is very similar to the VW Phaeton. Your local VW dealer should be able to diagnose your issue.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:05 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
u has bad keyfob...transponder inside is bad

Old 12-08-2015, 12:36 AM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang
Ding, ding, ding......we have a winner!!!

Old 12-08-2015, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang
Can volkswagon dealer program a new key? Because the bentley dealership is like 4 hours away. Also are you sure that would be causing all the electronics to just shut off like that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No power/electronics unless car is running? Help