Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

My GT re-build in pictures !!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:17 PM
jimg1509 is an unknown quantity at this point
Really amazing work Johnny. Since looking at your project, I am going to stop whining to my wife when I have to put air in the tires, lol. I was in NJ to pick up a second set of wheels for my car a few months ago. Maybe I can admire your work some time if we can ever travel freely again! Good luck and keep up the great work. Truly inspirational.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Thank you @jimg1509 !

Old 12-05-2020, 12:14 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello All,
I put some time in this week, I finished assembling the engine trans package, then I dropped the suspension, subframe, and engine cradle, also while I am at it I am changing out both front hub/bearing units eventhough the vehicle only has 10,380 miles on it, the driver side front became loose from the flood I assume and then sitting for 7 years, so I am doing both, why not, also new brake rotors all around.

Tonight I went up at 7PM and started on getting the suspension and cradle mounted to the engine, then inserting the package up into the car, my plan was to have the hub assemblies and all 4 brake rotors with me to install before putting the subframe back into the vehicle, but the seller fouled up and the delivery that was to be here Thursday, Friday the latest, is now not showing up until December 10th....

So, I said screw it and just kept at it, I really wanted to be able to roll her outside and fire it up tomorrow or Sunday, maybe I will just start it in the garage with the windows and doors open to p#*s off the people upstairs 🙃

So after 5 hours and 45 minutes the Supersports engine and transmission is in the vehicle, drive shaft, trans mount, engine mounts, subframe bolts, engine cradle bolts, rear subframe braces, etc. are all in place and tight, what a job, cherry picker, 2 floor jacks, lots of jack stands, and plenty of wood, oh, and a few curse words along the way 😀.

At 12:30AM I dropped a wrench, it was loud, and I heard the lady upstairs, so I thought it was best to call it a night.

Back at it tomorrow, well, today.

Enjoy the pictures.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 12-18-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the shifter cover info. Going to start the job now. Got the Audi piece for half the price.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:20 PM
I did the same thing with my 68 Camaro but this is a whole different apple. You never cease to amaze me.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:23 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
That one person can do this in their garage is truly outstanding! Tip 'o the hat!

Old 12-07-2020, 11:38 AM
Linescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud of
I hope you have another pair of helping hands. That would be difficult to do solo? Great pictures. I assume that you spent a significant amount of time documenting how it came apart? I would think that you would need more than memory to put it back together your first time.
I assume the Grappa was for the crankcase.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by jimg1509
Thanks for the shifter cover info. Going to start the job now. Got the Audi piece for half the price.
Take some picture and share @jimg1509 ,

Originally Posted by jimg1509
I did the same thing with my 68 Camaro but this is a whole different apple. You never cease to amaze me.
Thanks again @jimg1509 !

Originally Posted by BruceR
That one person can do this in their garage is truly outstanding! Tip 'o the hat!
Thank you @BruceR !

Originally Posted by Linescreamer
I hope you have another pair of helping hands. That would be difficult to do solo? Great pictures. I assume that you spent a significant amount of time documenting how it came apart? I would think that you would need more than memory to put it back together your first time.
I assume the Grappa was for the crankcase.
Nope...
Just my two hands, and my memory...
Grappa to sleep !

Old 12-08-2020, 11:54 AM
Linescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud ofLinescreamer has much to be proud of
Wow! It's a lot of work and certainly within the realm of reality. However, doing it right the first time without help and prior experience (Bentley specific) is unreal! I would have a full notebook and a lot of pictures. You are a very smart and skilled individual!

Old 12-08-2020, 12:22 PM
Nader is on a distinguished road
Johnny the quick shifting transmission is impressive as is the extra power. You should consider swapping the carbon brake setup. Curious anything different with the turbos from a 14 as opposed to the 11?

Old 12-26-2020, 07:46 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Linescreamer
Wow! It's a lot of work and certainly within the realm of reality. However, doing it right the first time without help and prior experience (Bentley specific) is unreal! I would have a full notebook and a lot of pictures. You are a very smart and skilled individual!
Ok @Linescreamer ,
You jinxed me....

For some reason the engine removal person decided to loosen a power steering line right at the pump, I caught it as I was connecting the other end of said line to the vehicle side, when I yelled no blankety blanking way, you know you came to mind first, and then I went to hook up the gear selector cable to the transmission, and guess what, there you were again , I said "oh man he got me again", the cable was 3-4 inches short, turns out that the shifter unit and cable I purchased online came from an Audi A8L, so I went online and picked up another shifter and cable, dropped the exhaust, driveshaft, pulled apart the console and installed the replacement, I left the exhaust off for now, but put the rest back together.

Originally Posted by Nader
Johnny the quick shifting transmission is impressive as is the extra power. You should consider swapping the carbon brake setup. Curious anything different with the turbos from a 14 as opposed to the 11?
Hello @Nader ,
The carbon brake setup would be nice, but super $$$$$$.00 used from the seller of the Supersports parts vehicle.

As far as the turbos, they apparently are the same, and they have the same part numbers as a standard, or speed model GT's.... odd,, but so is what I saw when I had the valve cover removed, I swear or I am going nuts with to much information in my head, I should have taken better close up pictures, but I read both the intake and exhaust cam numbers stamped on each and compared them to a set of 2007 heads I have on the bench, they all matched, but it is bugging the hell out of me so much that I may pop a valve cover to take pictures, are we to assume that the cams are the same and the extra power and torque is all tune related, the only information I found online as to the Supersports power increase was that it was due to the engineering of the crankcase, whereas they reduced a great deal of friction for a freer spinning assembly for the Supersports, I guess I am just old school dome pistons, high lift, long duration, large overlap cams...

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-07-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Give me strength...

Hello All,
Happy Holidays !

Here are some pictures of my progression, besides the power steering line and the shifter cable as described in my previous post, I had another issue which then lead to another issue...

So, I will fill you all in on that in the next few post with pictures in order.

I also had some friendly mud wasps make a home in the coolant lines that go to and from the coolant reservoir and the coolant expansion tank, soaked them for two days to loosen up and push out.

Also had a vacuum line from the DS turbo that was just a bit short, but as the engine was already in place, I added the 90° molded line to fit, pictured below, came out nicely.

Johnny

Old 12-26-2020, 08:58 PM
Administrator
For those who wonder how I keep it all straight, jars and jars, along with togo food bowls marked as to the contents came from, then I line them up on the bench to count what each component requires, it's like a puzzle to me.

Johnny

Old 12-26-2020, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Some pictures of the shifter unit and cable.

Johnny

Old 12-26-2020, 09:27 PM
Administrator
So, if you caught the fuel pumps in the last picture, that leads to the next issue, I had added all the oil and wanted to fire her over just to check things before going further into the completion, and I noticed that after I reinstalled the fuel pump relays that I had no fuel, as in no priming of the fuel system when unlocking and opening the drivers door, I spent hours checking fuses, relays, wiring harness, etc. and I am very very cautious when it comes to fuel and electric together, I finally pulled two pieces of trunk carpet out to access the fuel pumps and their connections on top, I had power right to the pumps connector sockets, so I laid the two 2006 fuel pumps in the trunk and plugged them in, and they ran as they should, so I pulled both locking rings off to access the pumps, but more to look inside to see if any water ever made it into the tank, the tank was clean as a whistle, and for 8 year old fuel, it smelled great, so that lead me back to the connections at the white plastic pieces that hold the connections for pump power and the floats for fuel gauge, and being that the fuel gauge showed below empty, and the floats moved freely in the tank, something was wrong at the connection point, on both sides no less, so I unplugged the white disc from both sides and bench tested each for power flow, the power did not make it from any of the pins to the other side, so I swapped both out and reassembled the top of the tank, grabbed the driver side door handle and the fuel system primed.

But it ain't over...

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 05-26-2021 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Spelling

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: My GT re-build in pictures !!