Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

My GT re-build in pictures !!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 07-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello All,
So an update on the high mount brake light.
I ended up drilling a small hole as shown, I removed the pins from the plug and fed the wires through the hole, then reassembled the plug inside the vehicle, I used the supplied butyl tape to water proof the hole, and popped it in place, all good.

Just to note, the flat ribbon cable did not have a disconnect point like a standard ribbon does, say on a PC or even our infotainment head unit screen does, it had a solid plastic box type connection with the ribbon in one side, and two wires out the other side, and I did not feel like taking the chance breaking the rear glass trying to force the two wires between the glass and the body.

Johnny

Old 11-12-2022, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello All,
I would like to give a special thanks to @TeamJones1962 for the decal removal tool, it may the job very simple and easy, I had tried goof off, goo be gone, and gasoline on the rear quarter section, that old two-way tape did not want to come off, and I did not feel comfortable using a scraper or razor blade, one slip and I'd be very unhappy...

Johnny

Old 11-12-2022, 06:44 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello All,
I would like to give a special thanks to @TeamJones1962 for the decal removal tool, it may the job very simple and easy, I had tried goof off, goo be gone, and gasoline on the rear quarter section, that old two-way tape did not want to come off, and I did not feel comfortable using a scraper or razor blade, one slip and I'd be very unhappy...

Johnny

No problem! Glad it worked out for you. I used goof off and a plastic razor type blade on one side before my wheel came in. That was some work! But that wheel took not even 10 mins and that’s because I didn’t know if it would burn the paint 😂

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-14-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:23 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Hello All,

Johnny

I use heat and a plastic tool
Always a worry about too much heat. That looks ideal.👍

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 11-14-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Hello All,
I would like to ask my fellow GT (2004-2011) owners for some help on an issue that is somewhat annoying to me, maybe the Spur owners also, as it may come into play, although I think not, as the Spur and the GT have the same exact wiring diagram for the headlights, but you never know.

So, here is my issue, when driving the GT at night, the headlights do not adjust automatically up and down for headlight range to conform to road conditions, be it uphill or downhill, and as the build sheet states the vehicle has "LWR-8Q3" "Automatic Headlight-Range Adjustment", the headlights should operate (aim up) in a manner to light the roadway ahead on a downhill slope, and when traveling uphill the headlights should aim down as to not blind oncoming traffic, especially when cresting over the top, I have tried with Ross-Tech VCDS, and ODIS VAS 5054, but both show #55 Headlight Range as not reachable for RT, and not installed for ODIS, the Phaeton and other VAG vehicles use addresses #29 & #39 for the left and right headlights, but none of these addresses work for the Bentley GT, the Phaeton wiring diagram shows one wire coming out of the suspension control module that uses varying voltage to control it's headlight range, but the Bentley GT and Spur do not show any wiring from the suspension control module to the headlights, so the Phaeton has range control, the Phaeton like my 2005 Audi A8L W12 has more then the 6 wires we have on our 8 pin plug on each headlight, the A8L W12 and the Phaeton have a 14 pin plug with 11 plus wires, the 2005 Phaeton besides it's vertical range also shows wiring for lateral movement of the beams, my 05 A8L W12 operates just as it should, when traveling downhill it lights the road ahead, does the same for uphill, drops the beam, and the #55 headlight control module is reachable with Ross-Tech and ODIS, I can even move the beams up and down with RT and ODIS, the range control module is a small module located behind the Instrument cluster in the A8L, but nowhere to be found in the GT...

I will post some pictures below, the GT headlights from 2004 to 2011 only have 6 wires to each, 2 shared grounds, and 1 hot for each of the bulbs, being the parking light, the turn signal, the main/dip (low) beam, and main (High) beam, the shutter on the outboard beam (low/high) is activated by the power being sent to the inboard highbeam lamp, and is in working order, the module mounted on the headlight housing is just a ballast, not a control module like the Phaeton, so again, just 6 wires in total to each headlight, no CAN-BUS wires at all.

I have looked at headlights from 2005 to 2010 GT's and Flying Spur's, they are all the same, only 6 of the 8 pins used on each headlight, I have ran the VIN for my GT, the parts GT, and the Supersports that I got the drive train package from, all three vehicles lists the same LWR-8Q3 headlight range as installed, yet my GT and the parts GT had nothing to show this as being installed, I must have looked at a hundred GT lights online, they all only have 6 pins in the 8 pin socket, so how is the outboard headlight projector assembly supposed to move up and down with out the wiring or the motor to do so ?

I may just buy a damaged unit online and tear it open to see the innards.

So, I ask of you reading this, will you please report back as to your headlights actions while driving up or downhill ?

Sorry for the long post, just trying to figure this out...
Is it one more thing that the first Gen GT's didn't get, I find it (at a loss for the word) that the 2005 GT did not come with the standard equipment that my 2005 A8L W12 came with, DVD NAV, soft close doors, power open and close trunk lid, adaptive cruise control with braking, and a bluetooth module that has worked with every new phone I have purchased since 2011, whereas the Bentley BT module stopped working properly at the Samsung Galaxy S7, hence my AT BT upgrade.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 12-16-2022 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-17-2022, 03:34 PM
Mars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond reputeMars911 has a reputation beyond repute
Johnny,

I was looking for a ride height sensor the other day and came across this. This looks like a headlight adjustment for an Audi/VW. A sc Is it possible that the Bentley adjusts the airshocks up or down to move the headlights up and down and not something in the actual light assembly?

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 12-17-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:49 PM
Administrator
Hello @Mars911 ,
I should have spent the extra hours I have now spent researching this before I made my post..

Yes, the Audi has the same level sensors at the four corners, and as the listings you posted shows, they are both the headlight and suspension sensors, being, one in the same, but the Audi actually has electric motors on each beams projector assembly to move it up and down, and the addition of the range control module, which the GT does not, and as VAG code "8Q3" shows, 8Q3 is as to the headlights themselves, and 8Q3 states "Automatic Headlight Range Adjustment Dynamic (Self-Adjusting While Driving)", it turns out that there is nothing self adjusting about the Bentley GT headlights, NOR do they have range adjustment at all, at least that is my feeling at this moment, the suspension being tied into the headlights as you spoke of, is strictly for the leveling of the vehicle depending on the load (weight of people) in the vehicle, or a load in the trunk, meaning, it simply brings the body of the vehicle back it's unloaded position, as the instructions show, if one had to remove or repair the headlights, or the suspension is ever worked on, the vehicle must then be empty, no fault codes present in the suspension control module, then one would adjust the headlights manually by hand to their proper height, even the language used as to the suspension control module sending a signal which is required for setting headlamps to default (basic setting) makes no sense, as there is no sensing of the headlights in anyway, the suspension doesn't know where the beams are aimed, so what signal..

So my thinking is, that is some bs for Bentley to use the term Automatic Headlight-Range Adjustment LWR-8Q3, with LWR meaning Light Width Regulation.

I purchased a damaged 06 headlight off eb before I found the comment "no internal self leveling is provided", it should be here early next week, if I am wrong, or the instructions are wrong, and there is a self leveling adjustment motor inside the headlight, I will 100% say so.

Johnny

Old 12-19-2022, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Hello All,
I would still like some input/comments from anyone with the 1st GEN GT or FS, past experience or present, as to your thoughts on the headlight range actions while driving at night, after over a thousand views since I posted, I have only received 1 comment (thank you @Mars911), come on guys and girls, help me out here... 🗣

Johnny

Old 12-19-2022, 01:35 PM
BruceR is on a distinguished road
When I had my '09 I never noticed any movement of the lights at night but I live in Florida which is flat as a pancake so I'm probably not the best authority.

Old 12-21-2022, 03:33 PM
EJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud ofEJag66 has much to be proud of
I have the same option on my 2014, but have not noticed any movement while driving. Will make every effort to try and see if there is any movement and get back to you.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Hello All,
@Mars911 @BruceR @EJag66 ,
I received the used headlight I purchased off eb and opened it up, and just as I thought, there is nothing inside or anywhere on the housing to adjust the headlight projector beam for range control, the headlight projectors are fixed in place, there is nothing to do with any range of the beams at all, so the use of the option code "LWR 8Q3" along with the language "Automatic Headlight-Range Adjustment" by Bentley is extremely misleading...

There is nothing about these headlights that has anything to do with self leveling, or range control, they are strictly fixed in place beams (except for the one adjustment rod that one would adjust when reinstalling a headlight assembly) just like any vehicle back in the day, the only thing the air suspension has to do with the headlights, is simply for the load of people in the vehicle, or a load in the trunk, the suspension lifts the vehicle back to the proper standard stance as to not have the *** end sitting down with the headlights shining in the air, just like my old 77 Fleetwood Brougham D Elegance with automatic level ride did way back when.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-26-2023 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:13 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Hello All,
@Mars911 @BruceR @EJag66 ,
I received the used headlight I purchased off eb and opened it up, and just as I thought, there is nothing inside or anywhere on the housing to adjust the headlight projector beam for range control, the headlight projectors are fixed in place, there is nothing to do with any range of the beams at all, so the use of the option code "LWR 8Q3" along with the language "Automatic Headlight-Range Adjustment" by Bentley is extremely misleading...

There is nothing about these headlights that has anything to do with self leveling, or range control, they are strictly fixed in place beams (except for the one adjustment rod that one would adjust when reinstalling a headlight assembly) just like any vehicle back in the day, the only thing the air suspension has to do with the headlights, is simply for the load of people in the vehicle, or a load in the trunk, the suspension lifts the vehicle back to the proper standard stance as to not has the *** end sitting down with the headlights shining in the air, just like my old 77 Fleetwood Brougham D Elegance with automatic level ride did way back when.

Johnny
Thats interesting info to know. I wonder why the system wasnt used on the GT? Seems quite a lot of good stuff was left off these cars compared to Audu/Vw cars of the same era.

Old 01-16-2023, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Frank ( Sunnyside )
Thats interesting info to know. I wonder why the system wasnt used on the GT? Seems quite a lot of good stuff was left off these cars compared to Audu/Vw cars of the same era.
​​​​​​Hello @Frank ( Sunnyside ) ,
I couldn't agree more, so many items left out, that a lesser cost vag vehicle of the same model year came with, and as standard... 🤬

Johnny

Old 01-16-2023, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Hello All,
Just a little psa as far as coils are concerned, I am not saying delphi coils are bad, I will just show you what happened to the number 12 coil on my Supersports engine.

When I purchased the Supersports engine for my rebuild, it had 11k +/- miles on it, and it had the what appeared to be brand new recently replaced Delphi coils, I wondered why, and still do, did someone replace the coils because of age, just a tune up, or part of a tune, I mean, this thing is fast, anyway, I had pulled all the coils and inspected them before installing the engine transmission package, they all looked fine, no cracks or burn marks, I drove the car for some time and every once in a while I would get a misfire, then nothing for a while, but I haven't accumulated many miles, all was good until one night recently when all hell broke loose and the engine felt like an unbalanced 4 cylinder, check engine light flashing, and hardly any power off the line, I pulled over immediately and scanned for faults, I got cylinders 12 and 5, cleared the faults and all was good for about halfway home, then I got cylinders 12 and 9, and EGT fault for bank 1 saying circuit issue, I cleared again and continued to shop, it was running like a cylinder deactivation engine, fine at speed, but shaking and slow off a stop, I babied it, and scanned again, always number 12 showing, so I pulled number 12 coil and found as pictured below, I replaced number 12 with a used factory coil I had sitting on the shelf, now all faults are gone, and full power is restored !

Be careful which coils you choose, I will be putting all Bentley OEM coils on this engine.

Also I made two videos for members here, so I am going to put them here in my rebuild thread for safe keeping and ease of access.

Johnny

Bentley GT front body control module J519 coding.

Bentley GT Language change for the Infotainment head unit, and the Instrument Cluster.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 01-16-2023 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 01-27-2023, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Hello All,
Just figured that I would post a few pictures of the B out and about.

I added the "BENTLEY" to the bootlid, and the Union Jack to each wing, I purchased the "W12" for each wing, but I did not install them, I thought it was a bit much, I cut and filed the belt molding for the lower portion of the front bumper on both sides.

Also attached is my video with a cold start of the AWE Supersports exhaust system from back before I put the wings and the bumper on, in the video I ask about the 3 wires on the left front side, I have solved that mystery, they were for the fifth TPMS sensor/antenna.

Enjoy !
Johnny

Oh the memories... 🫠

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: My GT re-build in pictures !!