Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Secondary Air issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:56 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Secondary Air issue

Hi all,
Sorry to be writing about a fault, however driving through very very wet roads/ partial flooded 6-12 inches deep at 30 mph ( big swash of water) bad weather for nearly 100 miles constant I got an engine management light come on the next time I started the car.
I put the Vas on her and it said ecu's 1 and 2 fault. SAI fault. Pressure sender resistance issue and the second fault SAI pressure low implausible.( I did save the OBD codes but my VAS as usual said it sent the data to my C drive vas data fault storeage but when open it told me the program was comercial and i had to pay I wish I had photographed the screen )
I did attempt to clear the codes, the engine light went out for 2 seconds then came back on so I presume its a hard fault??
Anyhow, does any one know if the SAI system could be close enough to the ground/water to cause a water issue.
Has any one had this type of issue before.
Sorry for the lengthy e-mail but before I call Bentley so advice from you guys on here would be appreciated.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 02-21-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:15 PM
bentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of lightbentleytech is a glorious beacon of light
yes the SAI filter is on the right side and is prone to water ingress, back on the early cars we had to do a a service bulletin on the filter to stop this issue. If you remove wheel and inner fender you will see the filter and determine if thats your issue.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bentleytech
yes the SAI filter is on the right side and is prone to water ingress, back on the early cars we had to do a a service bulletin on the filter to stop this issue. If you remove wheel and inner fender you will see the filter and determine if thats your issue.
Thanks for the reply.
It was late at night when I attempted to clear the codes so like a Muppet I wasn't thinking straight. The code was in both ECUs, so clearing one ECU's code still meant the error was present. The next day I cleared the codes and the light stayed off......but that some times is worse than not having a solid fault to trace. The actual error was high resistance reading from the SAI pressure transducer and the second code was an error saying the pressure was not in tolerance. I contacted my Bentley dealership who instantly said, Yep, thats a pressure sensor failure. Its not open cct but actually reading high ( about 1500 ohms) when you start the engine it should be aprox 1000 ohms. Any way the long and the short of it is the pressure transducer was changed out.
Whole thing including labour was £195. The collected the car and returned it ( some 70 miles in total ) valeted inside and out. Weldone Bentley Glasgow and thanks Bentley Tech for taking the time to help

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 02-26-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:49 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
That's great news and a very reasonable fix.