Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley continental gt extreme weight shedding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 10:58 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longeze
350Kg wow, that's really disappointing. I had hoped for something much closer to 1600Kg. It would be interesting to know if he was at all competitive with it and if so, which cars he's successfully competing against. Thank-you for the information, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
The MSport GT3 race car is around 1200kg, however it is a space frame and carbon built car.
​​​​The floor is flat carbon, no transmission tunnel, the sills are carbon as are all the doors, rear 1/4, front wings and Bonnet and boot lid.
The car has the engine much further back. Its only rear wheel drive and the transmission and rear differential are one unit with a shaft directly off the engine to the clutch and transmission at the rear.
In truth it has very little of a our Bentley Continentals in it.
The BDC chairman iirc enters like wise races with class restrictive classes. Every one has the same or similar modded cars.
The BDC is hoping to set up a 10 car race series and have tasked Msport to come up with a package that is more affordable for "normal people" to compete with.

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 04-27-2024 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:46 AM
longeze is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember reading somewhere that they used a rwd configuration. I was a bit surprised, as I would've thought that 4wd might have offered an advantage, akin to the audi quattro success. I think if I were to go to all that work and expense, I'd just try to build an outright speed 8 clone and be done with it, but it's not my money Regardless, it must've been great fun to build and drive.

One of my first thoughts when I first read about the CGT was that with its 4wd, adding a chip and maybe some nitrous might make for an exceptionally fast car in a straight line. Blasphemy I know - lol. Even so, I was surprised by how well it gets around a corner as it is, but it always feels like an unnatural act on corner entry. Once it takes a set, it feels like it's on rails. It really is a very nice car to drive, but I do wish it was 1000lbs lighter - at least. It's an imperfect world Is there a website where I can follow the progress of the BDC 10 car series you referenced?

Old 04-27-2024, 01:34 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longeze
I remember reading somewhere that they used a rwd configuration. I was a bit surprised, as I would've thought that 4wd might have offered an advantage, akin to the audi quattro success. I think if I were to go to all that work and expense, I'd just try to build an outright speed 8 clone and be done with it, but it's not my money Regardless, it must've been great fun to build and drive.

One of my first thoughts when I first read about the CGT was that with its 4wd, adding a chip and maybe some nitrous might make for an exceptionally fast car in a straight line. Blasphemy I know - lol. Even so, I was surprised by how well it gets around a corner as it is, but it always feels like an unnatural act on corner entry. Once it takes a set, it feels like it's on rails. It really is a very nice car to drive, but I do wish it was 1000lbs lighter - at least. It's an imperfect world Is there a website where I can follow the progress of the BDC 10 car series you referenced?
Yes its the Bentley Drivers Club web site.
www.bdcl.org
👍

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 04-30-2024 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:57 PM
longeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks