Soft top Continental GTC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:27 PM
JyB
JyB is an unknown quantity at this point
Soft top Continental GTC

Hi,

The soft top of the Continental GTC is operated by a web of thin ropes. Would anyone have a diagram of these ropes? I would also be interested in getting an abstract of the workshop manual explaining how to set up these ropes, how to set their tightness right.

Thanks

JY

Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
do you have access to a known good car? or by chance do you have an an issue with only one side? i do not have a diagram to share but i will say the repair instruction drawings are not very good and hard to fallow on your first repair. if you can compare to the other side or even another vehicle it will be much easier on you.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 AM
JyB
Hi,

In fact my roof works but one side sometimes does not look tight enough: the outside is very tight, waterproof but the inside liner is a bit slack on the side.

See the picture below, taken just before the last step of closing:

When closed, the wires 3 and 4 do not seem as tight as the other side, I wonder if they need to be tightened and how to do so.
I guess they are the wires that get the inside liner tightly closed, correct?

Cheers

JY

Last edited by JyB; 07-07-2016 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-08-2016, 06:15 PM
JyB
Hi,

Another question: to open the roof, I keep the engine running.
Is it OK to stop the engine with the roof half open to take photos and look at how the system works, since I cannot find schematics ?

If I start the engine 15 minutes later and restart the opening operation, will the system resume from where it stopped?
Or is there a procedure to follow to avoid a loss of sync?

Thanks and have a great day

JY

Last edited by JyB; 07-08-2016 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-09-2016, 08:17 PM
JyB
Problem found

Hi,

Problem found: the wires 3 and 4 above pass through an eyelet supposedly anchored in the system. Mine was detached. See below.

I then found a piece of cable tie, found the canvas loop (1) where this eyelet (2) should be attached and put a cable tie (3) there to check if it solves the issue. It does.
The piece of cable tie found was most probably there before, when the soft top operated normally.

The car service record shows that in 2013 the roof Bowden cable (what is it?) was changed.
During that service or at a later date I suppose, someone forgot to pass the eyelet through the canvas loop and then instead of redoing the job, attached with a cable tie.

The canvas loop (1) is secured with 1 screw to a metal bar together with 2 or 3 other attachments. That screw is not really easily reachable ... The best would be to remove it, attach the loop correctly and screw back the lot ... There seems to be room for error there ... Will think about it.

Cheers

JY

Old 07-11-2016, 05:16 AM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. You are correct the canvas loop should pass through the eyelet and rivet to the frame. Also a bowden cable is what operates the c-flap on your tonneau cover they are mechanical. A bowden cable replacement has nothing to do with the headliner it runs from the tonneau cover to the base of the frame in the storage compartment looks sort of like I bicycle brake cable. Should you have slack again and there is no issues with routing tie small knots in the strings.