Horn doesn't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:23 AM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I have a manual on order.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:18 PM
As previously mentioned I checked the fuse for the horns. I'd like to check the horn relay but can't find it on any of the fuse panel/relay panel info in the service manual.

Anyone know where the horn relay is??

Old 08-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Still wondering where the horn relay is.

But in the meantime I removed the horns and tested them using a 12V battery and jumper wires. One horn beeped once and then no more. The other horn made no sound. Both horns look new and car has 31,000 miles.

I tested to see if pressing the horn button was sending juice to the wiring connectors that attach to the horns. I got a voltage reading so it seems power is there and the horns are bad.

Got to the VW dealer too late in the day as the parts dept closed. I'm figuring on buying VW horns rather than some generic replacements because I want to use the wires and connectors as is rather than cut the OEM connectors off and make some other arrangement to attach wires to the new horns.

I'll know on Monday what they cost and if they are in stock.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:02 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Just like mine were then MrVette.
Easy fix in that case and not a major pain.

Love your Vette list, had 3 myself. 1970, 1971 & 1984. Love em!

Les.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Well since the dealer won't be open until Monday I though I'd browse ebay to see what they had to offer.

Much to my surprise several companies sell late model Audi/VW replacement horns that have the original style electrical connectors that I want. Turns out they are all made in China (my original Bosch horns were made in Spain) and they sell for about $32 USD for a pair.

Researching OEM horns on ebay reveals that those horns sell for $75 to $113 each. So my guess is my local VW dealer would have a price like that.

So I ordered two horns for $31.14 with free shipping. The connectors aren't pointed in the same direction relative to the horn opening as the Bentley horn but that should not matter. The only problem with these Chinese horns is the delivery time is one to three weeks. So my Bentley is out of commission for awhile. But I have a few back up vehicles and can wait.

I'm glad a forum member mentioned he had gotten his horns on ebay. I was expecting generic horns and didn't think they would be so close to the original.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Just for the heck of it I went to the VW dealer to see what they wanted for OEM horns. $110 each under 2006 Phaeton! My $31 per pair ebay horns are looking pretty sweet.

I wonder if the horns get less expensive it you ask for 2009 Jetta or some lower end model.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:28 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
MrVette, typical Bentley box-part pricing, the same VW parts seems to be far less costly.... or find direct manufacturer and save even more. Air horns from a train would work nicely.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:38 PM
$110 is the price for the VW horns. I shudder to think what the Bentley dealer might want.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:13 PM

New horns are installed and I'm back in business.

Photos attached of the new $32/pair horns from China.

I turned the mounting brackets so they and the electrical connectors were in the same orientation as the Bentley horns. That allowed them to be mounted such that the wiring easily reached each horn as original. But then the horn trumpet openings pointed in different directions than original, which is not a problem.

While reinstalling the front passenger wheel I reset the correct lug nut torque on all 4 wheels. Also decided to do away with all the locking lug nuts and replaced the grey plastic lug nut caps with $8.10 chrome plated plastic caps from China. The plastic caps for the locking lug nuts differ from the standard lug nuts and those were not available in chrome.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:47 AM
mhsnmk is an unknown quantity at this point
What Should You Do If Car Horn Is Not Working?

Your car’s horn is a safety feature built into the car to help get others drivers attention if they start to get into your lane, or in other situations to warn people around you of your presence to prevent wrecks or injury.

This is why it is important for you to have a functioning horn. Sometimes though your horn may stop working. Normally there are a few possible problems if this happens. Continue reading to learn what these problems are and also solutions for them https://www.autoguysland.com/car-horn-not-working/

Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mhsnmk
Your car’s horn is a safety feature built into the car to help get others drivers attention if they start to get into your lane, or in other situations to warn people around you of your presence to prevent wrecks or injury.

This is why it is important for you to have a functioning horn. Sometimes though your horn may stop working. Normally there are a few possible problems if this happens. Continue reading to learn what these problems are and also solutions for them https://www.autoguysland.com/car-horn-not-working/
This is a joke post, right........

Old 10-09-2018, 05:13 AM
quarryman is an unknown quantity at this point
lol