Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Horn doesn't work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:55 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Horn doesn't work

During my recent safety inspection the independent garage tech noted the horn was not very loud. I've never listened to the horn form outside the car so I had no basis of comparison.

Recently I took the car into the dealer to have the steering wheel heater fixed among other items. The tech is in sunny hot Las Vegas and has never dealt with anyone concerned with heating a steering wheel and could not solve the problem in the 2 hours of diagnostic time I was willing to pay for. No big deal as it does not get cold enough around here to need the heater.

But now I find the horn does not work. I checked the fuse and its fine. Any suggestions?

I wonder if the tech may have done something to the steering wheel wiring while trying to fix the heater?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:29 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Not sure if the tech broke it but if you ever needed new horn, use the VW Phaeton horns as they are the same.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:54 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
I am sooo going to burn in ____ for this. Perhaps it s my twisted sense of humor? Perhaps due to working well past 12am?

When I read the topic the first thing I thought of was...........

Wait for it....

Old 08-03-2016, 11:05 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
The horns on mine had corroded internally. A new pair of much cheaper alternatives from ebay sorted it.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Interesting. I would not have suspected the horns were defective. I just assumed it was wiring and the horn and steering wheel heater problems were related.

Where are the horns located? I'll disconnect the wiring at the horns and test to see if they are getting a signal.

Looking into the wiring caused me to remove all the panels under the steering wheel in hopes of finding a connector loose. No luck. Tons of wires tightly bound. In any case while rolling around on the floor of the car with the key in my pocket suddenly the horns beeped twice. I thought maybe I had hit the panic button on the key fob but I have since tested that and found the panic button sets off a siren not the horns. Still a mystery why the horns beeped. But that tends to imply they work and they problem is elsewhere. Horn button contacts maybe.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Volkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really nice
Smile

Originally Posted by MrVette
Interesting. I would not have suspected the horns were defective. I just assumed it was wiring and the horn and steering wheel heater problems were related.

Where are the horns located? I'll disconnect the wiring at the horns and test to see if they are getting a signal.

Looking into the wiring caused me to remove all the panels under the steering wheel in hopes of finding a connector loose. No luck. Tons of wires tightly bound. In any case while rolling around on the floor of the car with the key in my pocket suddenly the horns beeped twice. I thought maybe I had hit the panic button on the key fob but I have since tested that and found the panic button sets off a siren not the horns. Still a mystery why the horns beeped. But that tends to imply they work and they problem is elsewhere. Horn button contacts maybe.
For what it's worth: My shop told me my horn didn't work and they needed to replace it, however it turned out it was just rusty, and after knocking off the rust it has worked fine ever since.'They said I need to be more like a New Yorker and lean on that sucker now and then!

Old 08-06-2016, 02:31 PM
I would love to try that but still need to know where they are on the car. Anyone can help with that?

Frustrating that the engine compartment is so cramped that practically everything is hidden from view.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:21 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by MrVette
I would love to try that but still need to know where they are on the car. Anyone can help with that?

Frustrating that the engine compartment is so cramped that practically everything is hidden from view.
Hi MrVette,

I have a diagram but I'm not sure if it helps. Please check you PM.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:44 PM
Got it, thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to access them. From underneath perhaps.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:50 PM
I suspect the location is similar to Phaeton.

Check this topic:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5059971-horn

Old 08-06-2016, 09:54 PM
Another instruction:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post58228524

FYI, the horns are located in the front right corner of the car. There are two ways you can get access to them:
1) Remove the large cover on the underbody of the car (covers the bottom of the whole engine), then reach up into the area forward of the right front fender liner.
2) Remove the right front wheel, then remove the right front fender well liner, then attack the two horns from 'behind'.
Personally, I recommend the second approach. It's a bit more disassembly work, but it makes fixing the horns a heck of a lot easier. Plus, while you have that front right wheel off, you can inspect the brake disc and rotor to evaluate wear - this will permit you to better estimate when it will be necessary to service the brakes.
If you are the really enthusiastic 'do it yourself' type, there is no reason why you could not jack the car up and remove the front right wheel, then remove the front right fender liner yourself. Just be sure that you get some form of stand-alone automobile support to place under the frame of the car (near the jack) to provide a more sturdy and substantial support than the tire-changing jack while you are removing the fender liner.
The tire changing jack is fully satisfactory for lifting the car up for the purpose of changing a tire, but I would not feel comfortable getting inside the fender well with nothing but the tire changing jack holding the car up.
Michael

Old 08-07-2016, 01:34 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Remember to press the buttons on the centre console before you jack the car.
Here's how;

Old 08-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by ExSF
Remember to press the buttons on the centre console before you jack the car.
Here's how;

Nice reminder. Thanks.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I printed one off in A4 size and keep it on top of the spare wheel next to the locking wheel nut adapter.

Les.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 AM
Hi Mr Vette,

I just bought a Bentley workshop manual CD (got one few yrs ago but misplaced it).

Click image for larger version

Name:	VO53XOO.png
Views:	6
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	538743

Name:  V8IZAyR.png
Views: 123
Size:  40.3 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horn doesn't work