'09 Flying Spur "3rd Brake Light" broken

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 04:00 PM
cduluk1 is on a distinguished road
'09 Flying Spur "3rd Brake Light" broken

Hi all:

For my 09 flying spur:

I am having an intermittent problem with the 3rd brake light. Every so often it will quit working and I will get a warning light. Then hours later it will work again. It happens one 'drive' every 3 days or so. I have verified by looking at the light; not just going by the warning light on the dash.

Is this a known problem? Why would it be only an intermittent problem?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Old 08-04-2016, 04:56 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Up to around 2006 GTs had a third brake light problem when the car was subjected to rain. Might be along the same lines??? I think that fix is around $900 or so.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:02 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
I have the same problem. I don't mind it going out briefly when it rains but I just don't want it to die completely.

Any way to seal the light or the only fix is the replace it?

Old 08-05-2016, 10:23 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
Mine was replaced before i bought my gt. I have a receipt for £1200

Iv read the back window needs to be removed and there is quite some labour involved.

Lilo get your light swapped out and enjoy your bentley, its only going to depreciate in value sitting in your garage so drive it and drive it hard!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:29 AM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks MikeH. I'm doing few mods now to my car $$$ so I'll get the light changed when it dies completely

Old 08-07-2016, 09:25 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
There was a thread on here a while back showing that it can be changed without removing the rear window.

Les.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Old 08-10-2016, 08:15 PM
Swflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura aboutSwflbt23 has a spectacular aura about
The flying spur 3rd brake light is different. It is mounted in the car at the base of the rear windshield. It is removed by removing the rear seat and parcel shelf. The only way to verify it is the light and not another part of the circuit is to gain access to the connector and check for voltage and ground while the light is inop. They are not nearly as common as GT's or even GTC's but they do fail.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
I totally missed the "Flying Spur"....

Old 09-06-2016, 03:49 AM
Hi all,

The problem now seems to be permanent as it hasn't been working in about a week, at all. It got worse after we had several days of heavy rain.

Any real ideas as to how to fix this (on the flying spur)?

Old 09-06-2016, 06:06 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
The fix, generally, is to have it replaced. The previous 2006 GT had the same problem.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:55 PM
Ah darn. I found a used 3rd brake light on ebay for $300, but before I buy it, i want to check for voltage at the plug. How does one remove the rear seats in the flying spur?

Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
its the light mines is bad too.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:58 PM
Well, it's working again. Has been working non-stop for 3 days now.

WHAT THE HECK??

The unit must still be OK. It's gotta be a bad connector or something... but i can't get to it!

No local glass shops will remove the rear glass out of fear of breaking the glass.. UGH

Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 AM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
The glass does not have to be removed to take out the brake
Light. From the trunk you have access to the screws.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '09 Flying Spur "3rd Brake Light" broken