Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Dice/Audiovox Alternative - GromAudio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 10:36 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
Dice/Audiovox Alternative - GromAudio

I've been using Dice/Audiovox to integrate iPod/BT connectivity on my car for few years but I wasn't really satisfied with it:

1. Random malfunction and fails to detect the unit
2. Stuck and goes into a loop of announcing "Media Bridge Discoverable"
3. Poor BT audio streaming quality from Android
4. No USB Android support

Overall, it wasn't a refined solution. I often had to revert back to AM/FM due to frustration.

Recently, a forum member here came across Grom Audio so I decided to grab an unit as well. The unit looks well made compare to MediaBridge. The BT microphone wire is a lot longer than the Dice unit.

My car is still in the shop but I'll post a review once my car is back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HYGIMkg.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	781.3 KB
ID:	538745

Old 08-11-2016, 08:08 PM
lilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura aboutlilo1980 has a spectacular aura about
I tested the unit today. Here are the findings:

1. Supports Android USB streaming (Dice doesn't have tihs). Quality is good. However, steering control of changing to next song is not available on Android USB streaming.
2. Android Bluetooth streaming works but static (crackling) noise and poor audio quality of Android voice search
3. Aux input quality is better than DICE. With Dice, I had a lot of static noise.

Based on my initial findings, I would not recommend this unit to someone who already has a DICE unit unless you want Android streaming.

Finally, DICE/Audiovox has been discontinued so if you are new to the market, Gromaudio could be a good option.

I'm gonna stick with GromAudio Android USB streaming and use a Satechi BT media control button to skip tracks:

Last edited by lilo1980; 08-12-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:49 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
Hi lilo have you done the USB firmware update on your DICE unit?

I updated mine before installing it in the car and I have not had any of the 4 issues you have listed above,

When I first installed I had a problem with the bluetooth streaming dropping out when using iPhone 6+, I chucked the iPhone in a drawer somewhere in my office (which i presume it remains) and got a Samsung S6 Plus and never had a problem since

Old 08-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Hi Mike,

I updated years ago but I don't think audiovox/dice can be updated anymore. Their website is barely functional at the moment.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:46 AM
MikeH is on a distinguished road
ill dig out my old laptop one day in the week and see if i have the update files still on there that I used.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:59 PM
tonygt63 is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought the gromaudiobox as well and i love it man, you're right you can't skip a track from the steering wheel but as far as crappy audio, i don't know what you did wrong because mine sounds loud and clear, no issues, happy customer 100% here, and trust me i do whine when something sucks!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:33 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I have to say that my Dice sounds great too. It's plugged in to a 60GB I-pod which sits where the privacy phone used to be.

Les.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 PM
rchase is on a distinguished road
I have the Neo unit which is the same as the Grom, do any of you notice the max volume not that loud. In comparison to CD unit it replaced the bluetooth streaming audio is about half as loud when it is at MAX volume.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:52 AM
jim2331 can only hope to improve
.....Hello you Audio Teckies...could you please spell out for us challenged what one gets with this set up over and above the Nairm unit in the car...I recently started using the CD player and got a few hundred CDs (you would be surprised at selection) for next to nothing since I realize CD's are from dark ages, but they play music...Oldies, Heavy Metal,Abba,Moody, Pavaratti,Zappa,Zepplin,KingCrimson,Tiesto...etc.e tc....would I have to get a cell phone with your set up...JimB

Old 04-11-2017, 05:26 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Hi Jim.

Yes, you would need either a phone, MP3 player, or an I-pod.
Personally, I have a 60GB I-pod which has thousands of tunes on it. That means that the CD changer is removed thus creating more storage space in the glove box.

My i-pod is located where the privacy phone went so it's easy to get at and out of the way.

Les.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:43 AM
....what you young folks miss is the joy of acquisition...everything is far too easy...my wife belongs to your school of thinking...thousands of tunes at your whim...where is the fun...my CD collection is hands on...a find here, another there...all for next to nothing. San Francisco is one of the wealthiest areas, but we have many people in abject poverty they comb the trash pickups all night for the discards this society throws away...they sell here on the street for food...drugs...whatever...We no longer donate to Goodwill etal...direct to the street people...who have taught me a lot...JimB

Old 04-12-2017, 09:39 AM
WelshBentleyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 2002 Arnage T which came with a Grundig head unit. I have had the CD replaced with an ipod connection. Its no problem to load all your CDs onto the ipod and get all your music in the car. The only drawback with mine is that you cannot control the ipod via the head unit but as its in the centre box its easy to get at the ipod and change settings.

Paul

Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 AM
....I have not communicated effectively with you...I now enjoy the CD collection, the unit holds 6 CDs...if we are leaving on a few hour day trip up our beautiful California Coast Road, Rt 1....I select the CD's...one Sinatra CD with 20 songs will last better part of an hour, or it might be Outlaw Country, depending on mood, possibly classics or opera...its the journey not the destination...but you know that...I have 10 years on you...maybe when you get older...JimB

Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 PM
WelshBentleyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jim
I am 74 and you are 72. Where does 10 years come from! I know San Francisco is a different time zone! It might be 12 hours but 12 years!
Paul

Old 04-12-2017, 01:52 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WelshBentleyBoy
Hi Jim
I am 74 and you are 72. Where does 10 years come from! I know San Francisco is a different time zone! It might be 12 hours but 12 years!
Paul
Oh believe me, he's NOT 72, Jim is 85..... hence why the information is filled out wrong.... Just busting you Jim B

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 04-12-2017 at 02:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dice/Audiovox Alternative - GromAudio