Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Why did you choose Bentley?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:09 AM
snackdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Why did you choose Bentley?

Owners - Curious to know why you chose a Bentley. They are very interesting cars with cool look. I like the look. However, they seem to lag the competition in performance, tech and handling (e.g. S600, S65, S8, Panamera, L600H, Quattroporte, etc).

Bentley's have that hard to quantify "old money aristocrat" theme going (if you like to pretend to be royalty, or are royalty), but Rolls-Royce wins that every time. I'm not from the UK so that isn't a big deal for me.

Did most of you already have many super-cars and purchased the B just to round out your collection? A big grocery getter?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:58 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Was actually looking for a Mercedes SL65 for a year or so as i never rush buy toys, after having a modded Ferrari for street and track use. Decided i didn't want something overly noisy (the Ferrari's modded exhaust was glorious on track yet on the street it grew tiring.) A Bentley came up on my radar locally at a 'reasonable' cost. Little did i know (later after ownership) that total cost of ownership and reliability was severely lacking in efficiency. Expected more from a VW Phaeton clothed as a Bentley. Anyway, so that's how that happened.

Yes the 2006 GT looks great, has a lovely interior and good engine output, which is a requirement. So went for the Bentley over the SL65 and glad i did to some extent, yet once i'm done with the 2007 GTC am probably never going to revisit this marque of automobile.

The new Jag F-Type R is a thrilling ride and as a driver car it is soooo much fun to drive. The BMW M4 is also impressive, yet am not looking for something that feels so high strung to drive (and the steering feel is rubbish). Am hearing good things about the latest Maserati cars, yet not quite convinced yet.

Anywho..... enjoy the drive

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 10-30-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:59 AM
shabs is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks
Performance
Comfort
Heritage
Prestige

....all of the above, in any order you like = feel good factor

Old 10-30-2016, 10:05 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
I picked Bentley because I've owned most of the exotics (Ferrari, Jaguar, Porsche, BMW, Rolls) and a lot of American muscle cars (Corvettes, Olds 442, Mustang Boss 429). To me, the Bentley Continental GT represents a unique combination of understated, but handsome good looks, more than adequate power and outstanding interior luxury. I keep getting offers from people wishing to buy my car, but I can't find anything else that I would rather have. I'll admit I've turned it into a "Garage Queen", but I still get a huge kick out of it when I do drive it.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:10 PM
360trev can only hope to improve
I think I've got a good reason...

One of the reasons is because I live 10 mins away from the Crewe factory !

Having seen so many Continentals under test over the years I felt i wanted in on the action

Old 10-31-2016, 06:42 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
360trev, that's a very good reason

i remember visiting Maranello and seeing all those Ferrari cars on the road. Would have been torture (if i didn't already have one).

Old 10-31-2016, 10:39 AM
nguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura aboutnguyennhatquang has a spectacular aura about
for me I was so impress about 12 cylinder and AWD...the technology it bring on that years..plus 340km/h speedo and it can run to over 310km.h..
fastest 4 door in the world at that times..

Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
The girls talked me into it. They arranged a test drive for my birthday at Bentley Cheshire. Two days later, on my birthday, I drove off in my GT having part exchanged my beloved Jaguar 4.2 XJR. I still regret getting rid of the Jag, the XJR is one of the best all round cars there is and mine, after some mods, was quicker to 60 than the Bentley.

I do like the GT but some of the faults that I have had to fix were a shock and not what I expected from this marque.

Would I buy another, probably not. Her ladyship now wants a RR Wraith!!!

Old 11-01-2016, 03:28 PM
cduluk1 is on a distinguished road
For me, it was about ONE thing: BRAND. And boy do I regret it!!

I'm 27yo, a teacher and entrepreneur. I started investing very young and got very lucky with a failing company that I helped bring back to life. By 17 I had turned every dime I had into $35,000 and bought my first car, an '03 Lexus RX300. I cherished that car. I come from a very modest family, my parents never owning anything greater than a Camry. I did, however, share their belief that a car should LAST. That's why I chose Lexus.

In '08 I upgraded to the Lexus Rx400h, their hybrid SUV (I used to average 30mpg!!!) and in 2013 I traded it in for the '11 Lexus GS450h, their "performance" hybrid. And in 2014 I bought an '03 Lexus SC430 for my girlfriend.

Unfortunately, in December of last year, the GS was totaled due to another driver's negligence, and my insurance cut me a check for $36k. I wasn't mentally or financially "ready" to upgrade yet, as I just purchased a home and didn't have much in liquid.

I had full intentions on upgrading to the Lexus GS-F, Cadillac CTS-V or the Mercedes S65 in a year's time, but couldn't find one in my price range. So I started toggling with the "advanced search" feature on Autotrader, and stumbled on Bentley's in my price range. I had no idea Bentley's had deprecated so much!

One test drive and the Lexus, Mercedes and (obviously) Cadillac just couldn't win against the Bentley. I ended up buying the "cheapest" '09-'12 Flying Spur in all of Florida, at the time. They were asking $59k and the next closest within hundreds of miles was in the $70s. It hadn't had any accidents, the maintenance records were great, and it had just been listed. I couldn't pass it up.

Well, almost a year later, I've sunken over $15k into it (to just fix the 'common' known flaws, believe it or not) and throwing away $100/wk in gasoline just to fill it. It's spent more time in the shop than I've had it on the road, and that's not a lie. The electronic issues are driving me nuts; the memory seats, bluetooth, homelink, rear directionals, and a plethora of other issues that no one would dream could fail.

I've owned 4 Lexus, treated them like $h!t, and never ONCE had to take any of them to the mechanic, outside of an oil change. It amazes me how poorly made this Bentley is. All of the money I've had to put into it has been for "known" flaws. I haven't even had to fork over the money for a brake job, yet!!

I love the "attention" the Bentley brings, but damn, it's a pain in the @$$. It "used" to be the fastest 4-door sedan, but it was NEVER the "quickest" (acceleration vs top speed). With a 0-60 time of only 4.5-4.9sec, all of it's competitors can destroy it. But it's great against Altima's and Camry's.

My saddest moment in the Bentley was losing (from a light) to a 2008 Lexus IS-F.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:49 PM
360trev can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by cduluk1
For me, it was about ONE thing: BRAND. And boy do I regret it!!

I'm 27yo, a teacher and entrepreneur. I started investing very young and got very lucky with a failing company that I helped bring back to life. By 17 I had turned every dime I had into $35,000 and bought my first car, an '03 Lexus RX300. I cherished that car. I come from a very modest family, my parents never owning anything greater than a Camry. I did, however, share their belief that a car should LAST. That's why I chose Lexus.

In '08 I upgraded to the Lexus Rx400h, their hybrid SUV (I used to average 30mpg!!!) and in 2013 I traded it in for the '11 Lexus GS450h, their "performance" hybrid. And in 2014 I bought an '03 Lexus SC430 for my girlfriend.

Unfortunately, in December of last year, the GS was totaled due to another driver's negligence, and my insurance cut me a check for $36k. I wasn't mentally or financially "ready" to upgrade yet, as I just purchased a home and didn't have much in liquid.

I had full intentions on upgrading to the Lexus GS-F, Cadillac CTS-V or the Mercedes S65 in a year's time, but couldn't find one in my price range. So I started toggling with the "advanced search" feature on Autotrader, and stumbled on Bentley's in my price range. I had no idea Bentley's had deprecated so much!

One test drive and the Lexus, Mercedes and (obviously) Cadillac just couldn't win against the Bentley. I ended up buying the "cheapest" '09-'12 Flying Spur in all of Florida, at the time. They were asking $59k and the next closest within hundreds of miles was in the $70s. It hadn't had any accidents, the maintenance records were great, and it had just been listed. I couldn't pass it up.

Well, almost a year later, I've sunken over $15k into it (to just fix the 'common' known flaws, believe it or not) and throwing away $100/wk in gasoline just to fill it. It's spent more time in the shop than I've had it on the road, and that's not a lie. The electronic issues are driving me nuts; the memory seats, bluetooth, homelink, rear directionals, and a plethora of other issues that no one would dream could fail.

I've owned 4 Lexus, treated them like $h!t, and never ONCE had to take any of them to the mechanic, outside of an oil change. It amazes me how poorly made this Bentley is. All of the money I've had to put into it has been for "known" flaws. I haven't even had to fork over the money for a brake job, yet!!

I love the "attention" the Bentley brings, but damn, it's a pain in the @$$. It "used" to be the fastest 4-door sedan, but it was NEVER the "quickest" (acceleration vs top speed). With a 0-60 time of only 4.5-4.9sec, all of it's competitors can destroy it. But it's great against Altima's and Camry's.

My saddest moment in the Bentley was losing (from a light) to a 2008 Lexus IS-F.
You need to get it chipped sir!

You can easily get a map for 650hp which transforms the character of the car and isn't expensive. Actually mapping via OBD-II port these days is ridiculously cheap (in the uk at least) and even can be done DIY by purchasing a Alientech clone device from china, less than $100. Even genuine dealers can charge as little a $200 for this service over here... Prices obviously vary dramatically but these days the W12 is a known quantity and the work was done years ago..

However I warn you if you do go down this route (you wont regret the performance you get!) you will really will need to ensure you car is in tip top condition mechanically beforehand. This usually means checking for any fault codes and fixing them first as well as forking out for a full set of replacement spark plugs (they are NGK PZFR6Q-11's, you don't need to go to a dealer for them) and (good quality) brand new coilpacks too, part number 07C905115, these are shared with other VAG group cars like Audi A8's - JUST dont buy older parts ending with J (the letter is the part revision), you want at least revision 'L' as the older coils will most definately fail. Do it right first time!

PS this will bring your 60 time down to 3.9 but more impressive than that is the mid-range torque boost!

Old 11-02-2016, 07:33 PM
4KB
4KB is on a distinguished road
Hope you can view this video. Might help others decide to buy a Bentley continental. Tongue in cheek of course. Lol. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8a2_1385444399

Old 11-03-2016, 05:36 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
Haha. Classic.
Nice girl too!!!

Old 11-09-2016, 07:27 AM
JoeRube is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Was actually looking for a Mercedes SL65 for a year or so as i never rush buy toys, after having a modded Ferrari for street and track use. Decided i didn't want something overly noisy (the Ferrari's modded exhaust was glorious on track yet on the street it grew tiring.) A Bentley came up on my radar locally at a 'reasonable' cost. Little did i know (later after ownership) that total cost of ownership and reliability was severely lacking in efficiency. Expected more from a VW Phaeton clothed as a Bentley. Anyway, so that's how that happened.

Yes the 2006 GT looks great, has a lovely interior and good engine output, which is a requirement. So went for the Bentley over the SL65 and glad i did to some extent, yet once i'm done with the 2007 GTC am probably never going to revisit this marque of automobile.

The new Jag F-Type R is a thrilling ride and as a driver car it is soooo much fun to drive. The BMW M4 is also impressive, yet am not looking for something that feels so high strung to drive (and the steering feel is rubbish). Am hearing good things about the latest Maserati cars, yet not quite convinced yet.

Anywho..... enjoy the drive
Damn, it's quite discouraging to see seasoned
Bentley owners, say they won't buy another
One and/or moving on from the brand. I want to buy
A 2013 GT Speed this coming year, but seeing all these
Post are giving me second thoughts. Any thoughts on the
Reliability of the newer Bentleys?? It just sounds like a lot
Of regret on this feed.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Zaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond reputeZaos has a reputation beyond repute
Bentley, I already got both an Arnage and a Continental GT, but really loving my GT. Here is why:
  • Its roomy. I am 6-4" and fits me perfectly. Easy to egress and ingress to. It is also comfortable to drive.
  • All wheel drive. I am using it as daily driver in Denver through Ice/snow/whatever and it is a great snow car.
  • VAG. I totally love the VAG/CAN. I can adjust whatever I want or diagnose. Indeed there are a lot of computers inside the Bentley, hence frequent annoying error messages, but no difference than any of my Audis.
  • As mentioned before, it is really easy to tune the Bentley 650HP or more, just by using standard ECU tuning equipment like KESS/MPPS. Maps can be obtained for as little as $50 or so. (not guaranteeing they are any good). Anyone wanna swap maps?......
  • Easy to get most parts I need from the VAG parts bin without paying Bentley prices.
  • Looks. It is a great looking car. Suttle, not too ostentatious like a Rolls, Lamborghini, or even My Arnage
  • Interior. except the media console.....
Bentley GT is a great affordable vehicle for people who can work on their cars. I have owned a lot of exotics in the past and if their parts bins are all custom, I would refrain in investing in one.

Last edited by Zaos; 11-09-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:44 PM
JoeRube,

The newer (2013) are better as they worked out many of the bugs. Of course no car is perfect, and of course expect some possible expensive repair bills, yet for me i'm done with the VW Group in general due to the way they (lack of) handle known expensive defects. Helped my ex get a GT earlier this year and she seems very happy, so there is hope and it is just a car that is easy to replace for something else. Apologies my comments can be a bit abrasive, yet grown tired of the VW Groups denials and lack of standing behind their defective Porsche, Audi, and yes Bentley cars.

Jaguar takes an active role, even online, to help their customers and the included warranty and excellent service is what Bentley should strive for. Especially when you consider the Bentley is 2x or more the cost of a Jaguar. Makes you wonder why Bentley refuses to at least equal what BMW and Jaguar offer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.