Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Angry cricket noise, service reminder, 2007 Continental

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:49 PM
belton is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry cricket noise, service reminder, 2007 Continental

The other day the maintenance reminder message showed up. Today, it is accompanied by an angry cricket noise from the left radio speaker.
How do I reset the reminder? The car was serviced just before I bought it.
Thanks for your help.
Bob

Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
member STEVENRMUSIC posted these instructions previously on this forum.

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Thanks. I'll try it tonight.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:25 AM
I got rid of the service reminder, following your procedure.

However, the angry cricket remains. The car then told me I had a flat tire, but I didn't. IO checked with a tire gauge. Then it told me the left rear tire was flat. I checked again, and it was still properly inflated.
Any ideas?

It's very in-Bentley, to say the least.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:36 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by belton
I got rid of the service reminder, following your procedure.

However, the angry cricket remains. The car then told me I had a flat tire, but I didn't. IO checked with a tire gauge. Then it told me the left rear tire was flat. I checked again, and it was still properly inflated.
Any ideas?

It's very in-Bentley, to say the least.
The first thing I would do is to verify both batteries are fully charged and healthy. If they aren't, you can experience an endless stream of weird messages. Next, (assuming the batteries are fine) I would initialize the car. The simplest way to do this is to disconnect the negative terminal on the starter battery (the one on the right in the trunk) and then disconnect the negative terminal on the house battery (the one on the left). Leave it disconnected for five minutes and then reconnect in the reverse order (house battery first, starter second). Now wait ten minutes for the car to sort itself out. You will probably have to reset the windows and possibly the soft close on the trunk. If you have any DTC codes on the DIP screen, drive the car around the block and temp errors should disappear.

Having said all of this, I would strongly recommend you also do a deep-level (i.e.. VAS5054A) diagnostic scan to determine if there are any remaining issues. By "deep-level", I mean beyond OBDII level diagnostics.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:54 AM
I disconnected and reconnected the batteries as you suggested. I think they are both fairly new batteries, and they seemed to test OK

However, my angry cricket noise is still with me.

I need to initialize the windows. How do you do that?

I really appreciate your help.

Bob

Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !

I need to initialize the windows. How do you do that?

I really appreciate your help.

Bob
To reset the windows and seats, just start with the passenger side door, then pass side rear quarter glass, then drivers rear quarter glass, and lastly the drivers door glass, you put the glass all the way down and hold the button for 2-3 seconds, you should be able to hear the sound, you then put the same glass up while again holding the button after the glass has stopped.
For the seats, you would hold the buttons for a few seconds after the end of each travel direction.

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-30-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:44 AM
PMS
I disconnected and reconnected the batteries as you suggested. I think they are both fairly new batteries, and they seemed to test OK

However, my angry cricket noise is still with me.

Bob
Are you driving the car regularly? Does the "angry cricket noise" occur when you change the gear selector? Is the noise independent of the volume control (i.e. if you turn the infotainment volume down, does the sound reduce)? Do you have any DTC messages or lights showing? Have you reset the infotainment controls?

Old 06-30-2017, 03:11 PM
Kes
Kes is an unknown quantity at this point
Just post short video of problem. Would be much easier.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your help with the window reset. They work fine now.

I got the car about 2 weeks ago. It sat around for about 5 years, but I've driven it every day since.

The angry cricket noise started about 4 days ago. I noticed the service indicator had come on a few days before that. Your advice allowed me to turn off the service indicator, but not the noise. It appears to come out of a radio speaker on the left, near the base of the windshield.

I turned the radio off with the **** on the dash, but it made no difference in the sound. Changing the volume also did not make a difference. The sound comes about a minute after starting the engine. It doesn't seem to be related to any messages, whether or not the door is open, or whether or not the seat belt is fastened.

Yesterday the right front corner of the car was low. Today the car gave me a message that it was too low to drive. The message went away after a minute or so. My experience with air suspensions, Lincoln and others, suggests to me that I might have a leaking airbag, or I might have an electrical or electronic problem. Or, a bad line or connection. I experienced all of these at one time or another with Lincolns.

Is it possible that this is setting off the angry cricket?

I will try to get a young person to make a video of the noise tomorrow, and post it then.

I greatly appreciate the help this forum has given me, and I will try to return the favor about cars I'm familiar with.

Bob

Old 06-30-2017, 06:37 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Thanks for your help with the window reset. They work fine now.

It appears to come out of a radio speaker on the left, near the base of the windshield.

I turned the radio off with the **** on the dash, but it made no difference in the sound. Changing the volume also did not make a difference. The sound comes about a minute after starting the engine. It doesn't seem to be related to any messages, whether or not the door is open, or whether or not the seat belt is fastened.

Bob

By any chance is it a built in radar detector that is beeping, someone either on here or Audiworld posted a video of a chipping sound that he thought was a vehicle system warning, I said it sounded like a RD, he then found the hidden switch that he did not realize he hit, it was a built in radar detector.......

Old 07-01-2017, 06:50 PM
The Angry Cricket is gone!

Johnny Hotspur's comment about radar detectors got me thinking. There was a Bluetooth installed, obviously not a Bentley installation. I traced the wiring, and discovered a couple of broken wires. A little soldering, and the noise is gone. I think the Bluetooth module was signaling that it was disconnected from the dash unit.

I owe you guys for the help.

Bob

Old 07-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Johnny Hotspur's comment about radar detectors got me thinking. There was a Bluetooth installed, obviously not a Bentley installation. I traced the wiring, and discovered a couple of broken wires. A little soldering, and the noise is gone. I think the Bluetooth module was signaling that it was disconnected from the dash unit.

Bob
Hello Bob,
Glad it worked out !

Johnny

Old 07-02-2017, 11:12 AM
PMS

Bob
Good fix! Thanks for sharing the results with the forum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.