Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

07 GTC Noise Near Driver Door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
07 GTC Noise Near Driver Door

I have a noise that sounds like it is coming from the driver door area that sounds like some kind of electric motor. It used to be very slight and only occurring during the first few miles of driving. It is now off and on but more persistent. I suspect something with the air suspension system but that is a blind guess on my part. can any members offer any help solving the mystery?

I have not had it to the shop yet but looks I'm headed there.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:51 PM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
Does it come on when you step on the brake? If so, does it stop shortly after you take your foot off the brake? If the motor runs continuously, you probably have a leak in the vacuum lines. Worst case scenario is the engine out to replace the lines over the transmission. I can't recall if 07s have the lines on the firewall or over the transmission. See posts by Johnny Hotspur on this topic. A leak can be sourced with a good smoke test. YouTube has a number of videos on the subject.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:25 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I hate to be the bearer of bad news Dr. D.

In the States, a 2007 is actually a 2006 model, therefore you may well have the split vacuum hose problem over the gearbox.
The motor sound does seem like what I had a couple of years ago.

The vacuum pump is behind the left front wing/fender by the door hinges, just for reference.

I wish you well.

Les.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:06 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
The noise is not associated with braking. It is more associated with throttle application if anything at all. I thought i had avoided the dreaded vacuum hose leak. Ithougfht the car would run differently and idle rough?

I'll be taking it to the independent mechanic first for a check.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
What's the build month / year of your GTC? From what you're saying it doesn't sound like the dreaded false air. What codes, if any, are being thrown?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
What's the build month / year of your GTC? From what you're saying it doesn't sound like the dreaded false air. What codes, if any, are being thrown?
Hello Steven good to hear from you again. I've been off the forum four a while with other interest and a smooth running car that has given no issues, till now.

I do not know the actual build date but I did hear it was a very late build for that model year. The exhaust system was actually more like the 08 models according to Fabspeed.

No codes have been displayed. I suspect something from the air suspension system. It used to occur only for the first mile or so then be gone for the rest of the drive for the day. Now it is on and off more persistent but lessens the more you drive it.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:55 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
As i think i recall, the late models and 2008+ have the false air hose nightmare properly changed to a location by the driver's side footwell-ish or some such. So it is easier to fix (good news for you!). Do you have a code reader?

Glad you're doing great my friend. BMW 435i now has all the top Dinan Stage 4 larger turbo/IC/COI bits and some added bolt ons (DV+, TIC/CP, M LSD, etc) and running nicely. Very tossable and, well, maybe not the "ultimate driving machine" yet quite fun as you'd expect from a BMW with added power bits and Mich PS4S sticky rubber (insert evil grin here).

Back to your GTC, please get a code reader ($25 on Amazon), as the false air does usually cause awkward idle and then throws the dreaded yellow CEL on the dash.

PS ADDED: You could get a Bluetooth ODB and then use DashCommand app on your phone. In fact i highly recommend that over the old school code readers. It also lets you log data for later analysis, clear codes, etc.

Less than $13 on Amazon for the ODB adapter:
Amazon Amazon

Dash Command (pay the $10 for unlocking it)
Android APP
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hCommand&hl=en

Apple
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dash...321293183?mt=8

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 07-25-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the recommendations I have more on that in a minute.

You traitor POS driving BMW. I am glad you like what you are driving since that is the one and most important thing about being happy and satisfied. Oh that and your young trophy wife.

Now back to the advice about me getting reader and diagnosing the problems. thanks again and now I will return the favor sharing some professional insights with you.

If you get a leaky or percolating class II failing restoration administer 2cc 2% lido with 1:20'000 ep. Infiltrate buccal plate and remove all carious material with a 555 HS bur with cont' irrg. and etch /bond before applying a bis-GMA resin.

Point being man I"m a freaking dentist mate not a mechanic or engineer.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:11 PM
My trophy wife just so happens to be.... a dental hygienist. Will post an appropriate reply once she gets home to 'translate' your post.

So, why do dentists hire extremely lovely hygenists? And, do these hygenists use their job to cherry pick the best guys? C'mon, we both know these girls are sly and smart... like a fox!

Old 07-25-2017, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
My trophy wife just so happens to be.... a dental hygienist. Will post an appropriate reply once she gets home to 'translate' your post.

So, why do dentists hire extremely lovely hygenists? And, do these hygenists use their job to cherry pick the best guys? C'mon, we both know these girls are sly and smart... like a fox!
uh uh uh what are you talking about?

I make money to pay a mechanic to fix my stuff. Even if i could use that diagnostic tool I may no t be able to fix the problem. I do love your advice and concern, always have.

I'll translate the dental jargon. It means if you have a cavity , numb it up and cut out all the rot then stick a new white one in there. See now you can to do it yourself, just like me and the car.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM

Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
I would imagine that having a good looking Dental assistant would be a bonus, considering what else they have to look at all day!!!
Good luck with the car Dr D.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by ExSF
I would imagine that having a good looking Dental assistant would be a bonus, considering what else they have to look at all day!!!
Good luck with the car Dr D.
Beauty is appreciated anywhere. Thanks for the help guys I'll LYK what the diagnoses is when I find out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.