Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Electronic Parking Brake Failure... Switch, EPB Module or Passenger Rear Motor/sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM
EverythingRolls is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sam08861
another update..

All right, I checked the front fuses (#27, #69) and these are OK. Rear fuses check out also. Disconnected my fuse taps and bring back to full stock, but no difference whatsoever.

It seems when I try and clear the codes, they pop right back up, so it seems the module isn't accepting them or just sends them back immediately.

One other funky thing is happening.. The rear spoiler decided to go up all by itself and the motor kept turning past the top position, making a nice loud grinding noise.

Running the VAG again, I got the same error as above, but now both left and right side.

(02434 in addition to the 02435)

Checked the connections for the motors and these looked fine also. No rust or other visible evidence of water intrusion.

Decided to remove the center console and check the switch wiring for chafing and all looked fine.

Did find a few curious items, however.

1. There is what looks like a lose end (blue arrow pointing to it) from some sort of cable. Anyone know where this is supposed to go?

2. A black plastic piece was also found.

Pics below..

Have no Idea what the heck these things are.

The cable thing worries me a bit though, but assuming it related to the parking lever and in park is in the most forward position.

With the wonky behaviour of the rear wing, I'm wondering if perhaps I might have a low battery or some other wiring/water intrusion problem.

weird plastic piece

cable end 1

cable end 2
I realise this is really old but a couple of things . . . Your VCDS will let you see what switches are operating so finding out if the EPB switch is working should be simple.

The loose cable is an emergency park release.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
Thanks, culprit turned out to be the switch. That black plastic rod was 'expelled' from the EPB switch. It's job was to provide leverage for the mechanical portion of the switch to cause electrical contact. The EPB module is encased in a thin plastic on the lower part of the housing, which must have caught the edge when I was prying around and pulling up on the switch. Sort of a 'lucky' shot as the gap would have been very small.

A new switch did the trick and also let me confirm exactly what the parts were, as I opened it up to take a look and tested the 're-united' original switch with a multimeter.

Good to know about VCDS and testing the switch, will have to read up on how to do that for the future. Would have saved me some time for sure.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 AM
gerryfh is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Guys I’m having an issue with my parking brake on my GT, used the car Sunday evening and applied the parking brake, when I drove away dashboard warning lights were flashing and the parking brake button was flashing red with the warning horn screaming I had no option but to drive the car home about a 40 minute drive, my ears were almost bleeding by the time I got home with the noise.

Initialy the car went into a sort of limp mode and wouldn’t change gear but after using the paddle shift the car drove home fine albeit with the warning lights still on and the warning sound, when you slowed down the brake lights would work but anything over 10/15 MPH there were no brake lights or indicators working.

I’ve disconnect both batteries over night and charged them but it’s still the same, the Drivers rear brake motor is working fine, (the car is British RHD) but there is no power going to the passenger side, the brake appears to be released but no power to the wiring connecting to it.

Any ideas or thought would be greatly revived,

Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 PM
EverythingRolls is an unknown quantity at this point
Check fuses.

Do diagnostics check.

Check connections for signs of corrosion.

Check motor housing for signs of corrosion, cracking, rust, etc.

Undo motor and inspect it.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Hi Guys pulled the switch and opened it up, my switch was a right pain to open up, it appears to be working fine, I’ve now checked the continuity of the wires from the Parking Brake Motor back to the ECU and that seems fine, I’ve pulled the ECU out now to get that tested but I’m scratching my head now.
With the switch opened up I reconnected it and still the drivers side motor working fine but still no power to the passenger side, I’m wondering whether the switch if it was faulty would just work the one side.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 AM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
Have you tried testing the passenger parking brake motor yet by seeing if 12v at the terminals will cause it to respond? The parking brake motor is fairly easy to get to with the wheel off and I believe are also a known point of failure.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM
Hi Sam I’m going to do that tomorrow I was thinking about swapping the motors over just to see but I’m not hopeful as there’s no power to the passenger side

Old 03-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gerryfh
Hi Sam I’m going to do that tomorrow I was thinking about swapping the motors over just to see but I’m not hopeful as there’s no power to the passenger side
Hello Gerry,
Being you say you have no power to only one EPB motor, did you check the fuse for that EPB motor, each one has it's own 30 Amp fuse located in the left rear trunk as shown in the fuse layout, fuses numbered 29 & 30 are for the EPB motors.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:01 PM
Hi Johnny yes checked the fuses and their all good, which is a shame

Old 04-06-2019, 02:39 AM
Hi Guys here’s my final update on my parking brake fault, the car is now back to normal and driving faultlessly again, long story short we didn’t diagnose this fault in a orderly manor, if we did we could have saved a lot of work and hassle, turns out it was a passenger side brake that had split with water ingress, a previous owner must have had an issue and plastic welded the housing motor.
Anyway I stripped out the centre console, opened up switch, removed the brake ECU and stripped back the wiring harness to check the continuity of the wires, all unnecessary work but it did show some rough wiring on the loom which I repaired, it also has given me the confidence to have a go at taking on any fault.
motor

many thanks for everyone’s input and help

Old 04-11-2019, 02:27 PM
yanacha is on a distinguished road
hello friends here is the code of the day 02439

Old 12-20-2019, 02:14 AM
Adler2501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sam08861
Hi Les,

That's right. The switch opposite the mirror control that is used to set and release the parking brakes.

If it stops responding, I found that you can listen for a very faint click when pushing in or pulling out at the halfway point in the range of motion. It appears there's a metal lever inside which no longer presses firmly enough on the circuit board contacts.

See photos below showing the switch, inside top, inside bottom (w/circuit board) and the removed rocker with metal prongs that actuate the circuit board switches.

I removed the rocker, bent the tabs and it's now working. Will keep this as a ready spare in the car just in case.

easy enough fix, but it’s all about getting to root of the issue and figuring out which part is bad. Really appreciate your posts. A lot of times it seems like no one responding, but be assured that bunch of ppl following, it’s just no one has any advice.
btw. When your parking brake fault appeared.. how were the lights acting. ?? Am asking cause...
sometimes when I start my 05 parking brake switch light and parking on the dash are flashing really fast. If I try to drive, annoying beep sounds in the car. I have foxwell nt510 it won’t do much, but I’m able to clear codes and keep driving. Just wondering if it could be the switch

Old 12-20-2019, 03:26 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like water ingress and corrosion in the motors .
You need to remove the rear wheels and carefully inspect the plastic motor housings .
When water gets in metal corrodes and expands cracking the outer casing = electrotwackery.

I twice yearly inspect clean and grease theses housings + the connections in some vain attempt to protect them against water ingress .

Check any connection spades for corrosion could just be that , but if a motor housing has fractured then it’s new motor .

Old 12-20-2019, 04:11 AM
Adler2501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by John Fiammetta
Sounds like water ingress and corrosion in the motors .
You need to remove the rear wheels and carefully inspect the plastic motor housings .
When water gets in metal corrodes and expands cracking the outer casing = electrotwackery.

I twice yearly inspect clean and grease theses housings + the connections in some vain attempt to protect them against water ingress .

Check any connection spades for corrosion could just be that , but if a motor housing has fractured then it’s new motor .
just went outside and checked. ALL !! Trunk area!! Including spare tire area are 100% dry.

Going for parking brake assembly!! And then gonna go from there .. parking brake switch (right rear)
then parking brake switch (next to gear shif). Will keep posted

Last edited by Adler2501; 12-20-2019 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:12 PM
I don't recall a flash, but think it was a P with a line through it and was steady.

good luck with the repair

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electronic Parking Brake Failure... Switch, EPB Module or Passenger Rear Motor/sensor