Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

2008 GTC - Top wont go all the way down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:00 PM
darkostoj is on a distinguished road
2008 GTC - Top wont go all the way down

Anybody have any ideas on what to check?

When I go to put the top all the way down it will almost come down to where it is fully seated but there are these 2 Wing flaps on either side that will not come down all the way.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2017, 04:41 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Check that the Bentley convertible top canvas is not catching on the metal pieces that are about 1/3 and 2/3 towards the passenger seats inside the convertible top storage area. Can you take a pic and post it for us?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 AM
Daniel Clohessy is an unknown quantity at this point
The mechanism is extremely complex, I never messed with it-and the dealer may be the only option.

Is the car throwing a top error code?
Is the top stopping on its own in one spot, with or without warning chime?
Does it close fully without any problems or codes?

Whatever you do, Do Not force it!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Daniel Clohessy
The mechanism is extremely complex, I never messed with it-and the dealer may be the only option.

Is the car throwing a top error code?
Is the top stopping on its own in one spot, with or without warning chime?
Does it close fully without any problems or codes?

Whatever you do, Do Not force it!
Ive played around with it and it seems that the top isn't folding down small enough. If I go around the car and give the top an extra little push to get it down into the storage area the cover will come down and latch in place.

I'm wondering if the latches need to be adjusted.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 AM
How far down does it go before it will latch? There are a few sensors that tell the mechanism what to do that may be out of alignment.

The only concern is a physical obstruction causing the problem, or something is bent/broken.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:45 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Please take a few pics of the top when it gets sguck, as i think i know the problem yet hard to describe without a pic. The covertible top section closest to the rear seats are two small black metal bits that stick out. Could be hanging on one of those. Again, if you post a few pics i can Photoshop where i mean.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Please take a few pics of the top when it gets sguck, as i think i know the problem yet hard to describe without a pic. The covertible top section closest to the rear seats are two small black metal bits that stick out. Could be hanging on one of those. Again, if you post a few pics i can Photoshop where i mean.
The top on its own will go to the pictures and stop.

If I help the tonneau cover and push on it a little it will latch down fine. Or I can push down the top before it closes and that will latch on its own sometimes as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RMNGDOr.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	801.5 KB
ID:	537651

Name:	12linPC.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	760.7 KB
ID:	537652

Name:	B1eKXTO.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	809.8 KB
ID:	537653

Old 09-13-2017, 12:57 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
Silly question, but I'm assuming that you've already ensured the trunk is empty and nothing is interfering there?

Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by sam08861
Silly question, but I'm assuming that you've already ensured the trunk is empty and nothing is interfering there?
I wish it was as easy as that!!

Old 09-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Hmmmm, haven't seen that problem yet the best guy i know probably has a solution. See his site at

http://robisonservice.blogspot.com/2013/08/trouble-with-tops-2007-2011-bentley.html

Hope this helps and wish i knew more.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Something appears to be out of sync; The small flaps that open outwards are supposed to close AFTER the rest of the mechanism is closed completely, not before.

You may need to take it to a dealer or someone who knows how to re-sync the mechanism.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Darkostoj,
May I ask how long you have had the vehicle, how long has it been doing this, and to your knowledge has the vehicle been in any type of collision ?
I ask because of the condition of the seat, and the deck, along with the flap, see pictures, red circles = bad, green = good.

Just a note, I did see what you described once in a YouTube video of a brand-new GTC, the same exact drivers side flap was up when the top was all down, it caught my eye, iirc he put the top back up a ways, then back down, and all was good, but that should not have happened, especially since it was brand-new......

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170922_184034.png
Views:	42
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	513079   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170922_184133.png
Views:	47
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	513080   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170922_184157.png
Views:	37
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	513081   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170922_184247.png
Views:	35
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	513082   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170922_184409.png
Views:	29
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	513083  

Old 10-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Hello Darkostoj,
Do you have any update on this matter ?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
Hello Darkostoj,
Do you have any update on this matter ?
I haven't fixed it yet.

I noticed if I help push the cover down it feels like its almost snagging on something and I can get it to pop in depending on the force I put on the cover. I have been too busy to put any time into it to fix it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.