Passenger side front grinding sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 01:06 PM
Rmprop is an unknown quantity at this point
Passenger side front grinding sound

Hi
I have a 2007 GTC.
I had my front passenger side air shock go down and I had the GTC towed to a mechanic. The mechanic replaced the air shock and I drove far away. When I returned home and turned into my driveway I heard a grinding noise only while I turn sharp left ....I had a friend turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and ease forward and back while I was on the ground listening and I can safely say that the grinding noise is coming from the inside of the tire and rim. Like either the brakes or deep inside there. The grinding is like metal on metal. The wheel/rim is not hitting the new shock or plastic shielding......would your all be si kind as to help?

Old 04-01-2018, 12:18 AM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Rmpropertiesw
Hi
I have a 2007 GTC.
I had my front passenger side air shock go down and I had the GTC towed to a mechanic. The mechanic replaced the air shock and I drove far away. When I returned home and turned into my driveway I heard a grinding noise only while I turn sharp left ....I had a friend turn the steering wheel all the way to the left and ease forward and back while I was on the ground listening and I can safely say that the grinding noise is coming from the inside of the tire and rim. Like either the brakes or deep inside there. The grinding is like metal on metal. The wheel/rim is not hitting the new shock or plastic shielding......would your all be si kind as to help?
I would suggest put the car in the jack mode and lift the left wheel off of the ground and hand spin the wheel listening for the noise, also try moving the wheel side to side and shaking checking the wheel bearing for failure. If it has failed it will be noisy and wobbling in the bearing race.
Ron

Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 AM
dusty30_0 is on a distinguished road
Hi, could be something simple. With my GT on occasion when driving you get a small stone which gets caught between the disc/rotor and the protective shield. Makes a real grinding noise. Removal comes from sometimes alternatively driving slowly forwards and backwards and falls out on its own accord, or wheel off and poke out. Just worth checking and hope it's this. Kind regards, mick.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:33 AM
Rmprop is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for all the help. Injacked up the passanger tire and found the wheel rim hitting the newly installed shock. Bummer. This mechanic could not even install a shock correctly !!!