Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Smoke tester fluid suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 PM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Smoke tester fluid suggestions?

So I bought a smoke tester device, primarily to check for vacuum leaks on my 2008 GTC project. I read and followed directions included with said smoke test machine. As per the directions, I purchased a bottle of mineral oil, and carefully measured the recommended amount of mineral oil and water to the smoke test machine's canister... plugged it in, turned it on... and it made smoke, just as it should... and yes, it seems I have a vacuum leak "somewhere" above the tranny... hard to tell... I couldn't see cause my eyes were burning from the awful smoke the smoke machine made... just terrible... a smell somewhat like burning tires. The shop stinks, I stink, my shop cat ran off... total disaster. My question: Is there a hopefully better recommendation for smoke machine fluid? Could/would concert type smoke machine fluid work? Something that smells more like Fabreeze and less like a burning garbage dump? Or is this just how it is... and wait for spring (innabout 4 - 5 months) to do my vacuum leak smoke test outside?

Old 12-10-2018, 01:52 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Fog machine fluid, is a "safe" glycol based substance. There is an odor, not as pungent as mineral oil. This might work with a smoke tester.

Purchased a $25 fog machine online. Had to modify it to attached to vacuum lines, works adequately.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:35 AM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 1eapplebaum
Fog machine fluid, is a "safe" glycol based substance. There is an odor, not as pungent as mineral oil. This might work with a smoke tester.

Purchased a $25 fog machine online. Had to modify it to attached to vacuum lines, works adequately.
Thanks... I'll give it a try and report back. No doubt fog machine fluid couldn't be any worse, if it works. I believe the theory of operation is basically the same for a mechanic's smoke tester vs. a fog machine or a hazer. I was thinking about sourcing some dry ice and drop it in the smoke tester's pot along with a quart of hot water... being the old school method for fog devices.