Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Considering a 2013 GTC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:45 AM
Joel Gerardi is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering a 2013 GTC

So a GTC is my dream. I want one but i am concerned about the cost of ownership. I have come across the exact car i want but it is from a Mercedes dealer so it has no warranty. Although it has only 15000 miles, i still have concerns.
I can say that i have never been faced with a repair that needed to be made on any car that i have owned that i have not been able to do myself. All but an automatic transmission anyway. But i know this car is a completely different animal. Im reading where things like vacuum repairs require engine removal. Most recently i am reading that there some major issues with the convertible top. It seems the problem begins with pinholes in the canvas and scuff marks on other areas with ends up with a total top replacement at a cost of nearly $20,000.
Maintenance is also a concern. I personally can hand fluid changes, spark plugs, etc. But i suspect there will likely be things that i cant really handle. I expect that owning this car would carry some significant costs as compared to most other cars, i just do want to find myself bleeding money every time i want to drive it.
Can anyone give me their thoughts on this? Overall experiences?
I have been looking at these cars for almost a year and i have to make a decision one way or another.
Thanks all.
JG

Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Hey Joel:

I think you already have a pretty good handle on it. Thinking through the cost to keep these running is smart. I have a firm belief that these cars, as well as other marques reach a point of no return when considering cost of ownership. By nature, they're low production, meaning parts are not often mass produced and/or specially designed so they're expensive. Luckily, on Continentals, Bentley raided (or forced to use) the Audi and VW parts bins, so we're "saved" often, from stupidly high parts costs. Next is labor.

So, if you're adventurous and a bit of a risk taker, you might roll the dice. If you want to play it as safely as possible, then maybe walk away.

You've captured some potential repair costs from your research. Here is another example. I recently caught a rock on an expressway. Put a chip in the windshield with a small spider crack. I went to a couple of the BIG windshield replacement cos here in Arizona. They don't even list a Bentley. The clerk took my VIN and said the company that made the WS is now out of business and she doesn't believe she would find a replacement supplier. Next I went to the Bentley dealer, apparently the only source for one. Cost $6,000. Luckily, the chip was repaired for $75 and has not spread....yet.....

Last edited by BWings; 01-02-2019 at 09:51 AM.