Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Battery/starting question

Old 01-02-2019, 01:11 AM
mmarksx19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Battery/starting question

Hi all,

Having not been used for a couple of weeks, I went out in my 2008 Flying Spur Speed yesterday to take my daughter back to university.
Car started fine and I drove around 20 miles to drop her and her luggage off.
Came back out to the car and it wouldn't start. Sounded like it tried to turn the engine over once then nothing.
I never normally use the ignition key, just the push button start so I tried the key - turning it left and right. Turning it anticlockwise there was nothing at all. Turning it clockwise it made a pathetic attempt to turn the starter once then gave up.

I called the recovery service (RAC) who said it would be a couple of hours so waited.
After an hour - I tried again and the car burst into life so I drove home.

I know the big battery was changed about 4 months ago. The other battery is called the 'starter' battery isn't it? Does it sound like it needs replacing?

Michael

Old 01-02-2019, 01:38 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
I use Adrian and Mark @ Prestige service Armely .
They are very good at sorting this kinda stuff , and look after my GT when I,am in the U.K. .

It should be able to start via the key ( turning one way - see owner manual) using the other “ big “ battery .
Sounds like the little of the two called the starter ( RHS in the boot ) bats knackered and perhaps if it’s been left without the benefit of a trickle charger the new big bat ( LHS ) has drained a bit in 20 mins - lights , seat heaters , music , nav etc.

I wonder why the little one was not replaced as well ?

I have even even got a solar powered charger I plug in @ airports stays - just don,t wanna arrive back and hear what you have heard .
In the garage always plug it into a trickle charger .

They are ever so complicated as we all know .
Not wishing to hijack this thread , just thinking my trickle charger wires are connected to the big ( LHS ) bat not the little starter ( RHS ) and thus far no issues on mains charger or prolonged solar .
I think I did some research and concluded at the time 2 years ago ,that this was the correct bat to connect up , but logically it makes no sense if the other little one is the actual starter .

so it’s not super clear in my mind how they both interact ??

Confused

How is everyone else’s trickle chargers connected? ——- the big one or the little “ starter “ one ?

Last edited by John Fiammetta; 01-02-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:43 AM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by John Fiammetta
They are very good at sorting this kinda stuff , and look after my GT when I,am in the U.K. .

It should be able to start via the key ( turning one way - see owner manual) using the other “ big “ battery .
Sounds like the little of the two called the starter ( RHS in the boot ) bats knackered and perhaps if it’s been left without the benefit of a trickle charger the new big bat ( LHS ) has drained a bit in 20 mins - lights , seat heaters , music , nav etc.

I have even even got a solar powered charger I plug in @ airports stays - just don,t wanna arrive back and hear what you have heard .

Not wishing to hijack this thread , just thinking my trickle charger wires are connected to the big ( LHS ) bat not the little starter ( RHS ) and thus far no issues on mains charger or prolonged solar .
I think I did some research and concluded at the time 2 years ago ,that this was the correct bat to connect up , but logically it makes no sense if the other little one is the actual starter .

Confused

How is everyone else’s trickle chargers connected? ——- the big one or the little “ starter “ one ?

I have been told to plug the trickle charger into the 12 volt socket in the trunk and that will charge both batteries? Was I misinformed???

Old 01-02-2019, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by John Fiammetta

Confused

I use Adrian @ Prestige for the car - top bloke! I will probably end up dropping it off but it's always an inconvenience to take a car in. If it is just a battery, it is much easier to swap it out myself or while I wait.

Michael

Old 01-02-2019, 09:41 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
This is a good read -
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dilemma-3.html

Big one ( LHS ) is needed to activate the solinoid + prob other ECU stuff and the little ( RHS ) just supplies juice to the starter motor windings .

You need both with the button only or with the key trick just the big one .

Hence the trickle charger is connected ( by what ever method ) to the big one - Ok counterintuitively .

I can leave mine for over 2 months + trickle , connected to the big one and it just fires right up on the button so to speak literary.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
You may have a problem that I encountered wherein impedance builds up due to frayed wiring to the ecu.

check out this post: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-when-hot.html

Old 01-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Quick question on this. I looked in my boot (trunk) and there is no connector for a trickle charger that I could see. I opened the left hand side cubby in the boot and there was the big battery. Opened the right hand cubby expecting to see the smaller battery but all I saw was the DVD changer for the rear seat entertainment. Is the other battery behind this? If so, how do I get to it?

Michael

Old 01-03-2019, 12:40 AM
I went into the boot (trunk!) to look at the batteries and to see if there was a date on the smaller battery (as I know the larger battery is only a few months old). When I opened the right hand side cubby - which is where I understood the smaller battery to be, all that was there was the DVD player for the rear seat entertainment, Am I looking in the wrong place? If it is meant to be there, is it behind the DVD player and if so, how do I access it?

Michael

Old 01-03-2019, 12:42 AM
I went yo look in the boot (trunk!) last night to see if there was a date on the smaller battery (as I know the large battery was replaced a few months ago). When I looked at the RHS cubby, there was the DVD player for the rear seat entertainment, I couldn't see a battery. Is the battery behind this? If so, how do I get to it?

Michael

Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 PM
My 07 GTC has the big battery on the left side (looking forward) and a little start battery in the cubby on the right side. What year and model do you have?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by John R. Allen
My 07 GTC has the big battery on the left side (looking forward) and a little start battery in the cubby on the right side. What year and model do you have?
Its a 2008 (2009 model) speed with rear seat entertainment

Old 01-04-2019, 02:59 PM
NO idea...I always thought all Bentleys GT's had the two batteries...