Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Yet another air suspension problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:06 PM
gregwarner is an unknown quantity at this point
Yet another air suspension problem

Long day today. Changed out both air struts on my 2010 GTC. Was having problems with the right going down. When I took off the air line, there was no pressure, as expected. The left was holding pressure fine. The car would pump up and was drivable.

Switched the shocks, went very smooth. Struggled a little with the air fittings, but they seem to be good.

Started the car and waited... Compressor came on and ran for quite a while, but no movement in the height of the front end. Used the VDCS and bled/refilled the reservoir and also bled and filled the front dampners. Still no movement, warning in dash says not to drive.

Here is the log on from the Ross-Tech

Address 34: Level Control (3W7 907 553 C)

17:08:29
15.30 bar Reservoir/Tank Pressure (G291)
Not Oper. Damper Control Button
Not Oper. Level Control Button (E388)
Relay OFF Compressor Relay (J403) Status
-63.0 mm Left Front Height Deviation
-66.0 mm Right Front Height Deviation
65.0 Left Front (G78) Absolute Height
56.0 Right Front (G289) Absolute Height
16.93 bar Reservoir/Tank Pressure (G291)
OFF Drain/Relief Valve (N111)
OFF Left Front (N148) Damper/Lock Valve
OFF Right Front (N149) Damper/Lock Valve

I loosened the air fittings on the springs and nothing came out of the left... a little pressure released from the right.

Not sure where to turn, but at least its in my garage on the lift, so it is fairly easy to redo. I know I'm missing something... Any help, please

Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM
gregwarner is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, here's the update... Some may find this information useful. It is now working perfectly. When I put the lines into the fittings on the struts, the plastic tubing didn't want to go in, so I took the fitting and put the fitting on the tube and slid the internal retainer on to the tube, leaving about 1/4" sticking out. Put it together like that. After reviewing everything, I concluded that no air was getting into the air spring. Took off the fittings and examined the end and it was obvious that the air supply tube was bottoming on the bottom of the one way valve. Took a razor blade and trimmed the plastic supply tube close to the retaining ferule and voila! Working perfect now.

Lesson learned for me...