Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Paint Protection film filling with water?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:58 AM
MBi
MBi is an unknown quantity at this point
Paint Protection film filling with water?

Has anyone ever had PPF installed and had this happen to them? PPF by the dealer or their subcontractor and then had ceramic coating applied. I assume they did a bad job but not sure how exactly this is possible.

Bubble and water in PPF after rain.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 PM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MBi
Has anyone ever had PPF installed and had this happen to them? PPF by the dealer or their subcontractor and then had ceramic coating applied. I assume they did a bad job but not sure how exactly this is possible.

Bubble and water in PPF after rain.
That look nasty its obvious its failed big time ...

Old 05-06-2019, 03:29 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
They never squeezed all the water out. Plus didn’t cut edges straight. I would try having it redone by dealer.

That said, it is possible to make a pinhole bad get the water out.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:29 PM
MBi
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
That look nasty its obvious its failed big time ...
Now the fun part is paying to have it redone by a different third party as after this spectacular failure it's hard to give your car back to the same person.

Off topic but have you had ceramic coating applied to any of your cars? Does this stuff really work or is it better to just have a proper wax / sealant applied regularly?

Old 05-06-2019, 06:17 PM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
This subject is a slippery slope. The car hobby has taught me a lot. I am able to paint my own cars and have experienced different situations before painting. Previous owners intentions were noble to protect the paint. The process of removing paint coatings adds complications.

The removal of the current coating is straightforward to someone with experience. The risk is if it isn't done properly not only will one pay for improper installation and removal but a respray of the damaged paint. The problem is the adhesive will want to stick to the paint even though the clear material will come off. Cannot say for sure on the current coating, usually a heat gun will release the coating but not the adhesive. Then an appropriate solvent that won't damage the paint is used to remove the adhesive.

Sometimes best not to deal with these coatings for obvious reasons. Surely there are other opinions.

Yes I agree water got trapped underneath the coating. Very unfortunate.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I know that I must be in the minority but I never have my cars wrapped. In fact if I buy a car that has been wrapped it is my first job to remove the clear bra. I would rather take the chance of a nick or abrasions and touch them up or correct them.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 AM
Rons GT Speed will become famous soon enough
Film Bra Bubble Repair

I have DIY recently installed this on my Dodge Viper SRT 10 Coupe. Laser PreCut 3M PRO Series 4th generation Paint Protection Film Clear Bra Kit. I will now install it on my 2008 GT Speed Coupe. It applies very easy and is crystal clear, and Self Healing from rock strikes. Before applying the paint surface is cleaned with suggested Rapid Tac. This removes all wax or sealant products. And then Film is applied with same Rapid Tac. There are many YouTube videos addressing application methods that should be viewed before attempting application, and different fluids for application. However most of these methods come with failures because of Film quality and wrong application fluid. The quality of the film is what causes the failures "Don't buy cheap products". What the difference is I have found when an air or fluid bubble occurs because of the use of this film it can be re-lifted with the use of a heat gun and spraying Rapid Tac. It then can be re-laid down without damaging the film.

Attention to your particular bubble issues you might try the above or have the installer attempt the bubble removal.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:05 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
I couldn't discern from your post the difference in time from when the PPF was put on and when the ceramic coating applied. Was the ceramic coating applied immediately after the PPF, or years afterwards?

Guessing both were done close together and my further guess is the prep was not done correctly before the PPF was applied. There isn't a good reason to apply any wax or other protective coating on the PPF since it is already a protective coating. A good ceramic tech would have probably skipped this part, so I think it's a bad PPF install.

Also some good ideas about reheating the area, try a pinhole to release the trapped air. If you decide to remove it and redo make sure to apply particular attention to this area in the prep stage. And, BTW, if you are going to remove it use steam heat and NOT dry heat (heat gun). Steam will release the film and adhesive at the same time leaving a perfect finish and no glue residue. Dry heat, on the other hand, separates the glue from the film and will leave a medium to large mess on the paint depending on the age of the film.

I have 3M wraps done occasionally for different looks. I change them sometimes like I change clothes. I recently wrapped my hood then tired of it after a couple months and removed it myself with a wallpaper steamer. When done I only needed a replacement coat of wax. Pic below during removal. Note all the water in the pic (left from the steamer).

Finally, I am on the same page with Gene. We're both probably in the minority on the clear protective films. Placing these films on to protect the paint for years while you own the car means some future new owner is going to enjoy the real beauty of the paint you protected for THEM. You never got to enjoy it. Reminds me of the episode of "Everyone Loves Raymond" where Marie uses plastic covers on the sofa....so the sofa doesn't get soiled? Everyone sat on plastic covers so 10 years later when they're tired of the couch, the plastic comes off and it's like....a brand new 10 year old couch that they're discarding?.....doesn't make a lot of sense to me......

Old 05-11-2019, 03:18 PM
MBi
Originally Posted by Rons GT Speed
I have DIY recently installed this on my Dodge Viper SRT 10 Coupe. Laser PreCut 3M PRO Series 4th generation Paint Protection Film Clear Bra Kit. I will now install it on my 2008 GT Speed Coupe. It applies very easy and is crystal clear, and Self Healing from rock strikes. Before applying the paint surface is cleaned with suggested Rapid Tac. This removes all wax or sealant products. And then Film is applied with same Rapid Tac. There are many YouTube videos addressing application methods that should be viewed before attempting application, and different fluids for application. However most of these methods come with failures because of Film quality and wrong application fluid. The quality of the film is what causes the failures "Don't buy cheap products". What the difference is I have found when an air or fluid bubble occurs because of the use of this film it can be re-lifted with the use of a heat gun and spraying Rapid Tac. It then can be re-laid down without damaging the film.

Attention to your particular bubble issues you might try the above or have the installer attempt the bubble removal.
I know XPEL has better marketing than 3M, but what was the deciding factor in choosing one over another? Also did you apply a sealant or do you wax the paint protection film?

Old 05-11-2019, 03:46 PM
MBi
Originally Posted by BWings
I couldn't discern from your post the difference in time from when the PPF was put on and when the ceramic coating applied. Was the ceramic coating applied immediately after the PPF, or years afterwards?

Guessing both were done close together and my further guess is the prep was not done correctly before the PPF was applied. There isn't a good reason to apply any wax or other protective coating on the PPF since it is already a protective coating. A good ceramic tech would have probably skipped this part, so I think it's a bad PPF install.

Also some good ideas about reheating the area, try a pinhole to release the trapped air. If you decide to remove it and redo make sure to apply particular attention to this area in the prep stage. And, BTW, if you are going to remove it use steam heat and NOT dry heat (heat gun). Steam will release the film and adhesive at the same time leaving a perfect finish and no glue residue. Dry heat, on the other hand, separates the glue from the film and will leave a medium to large mess on the paint depending on the age of the film.

I have 3M wraps done occasionally for different looks. I change them sometimes like I change clothes. I recently wrapped my hood then tired of it after a couple months and removed it myself with a wallpaper steamer. When done I only needed a replacement coat of wax. Pic below during removal. Note all the water in the pic (left from the steamer).

Finally, I am on the same page with Gene. We're both probably in the minority on the clear protective films. Placing these films on to protect the paint for years while you own the car means some future new owner is going to enjoy the real beauty of the paint you protected for THEM. You never got to enjoy it. Reminds me of the episode of "Everyone Loves Raymond" where Marie uses plastic covers on the sofa....so the sofa doesn't get soiled? Everyone sat on plastic covers so 10 years later when they're tired of the couch, the plastic comes off and it's like....a brand new 10 year old couch that they're discarding?.....doesn't make a lot of sense to me......

I know what you mean with the people that cover their couches in plastic. That is a bit extreme. I like PPF for protection mostly when the car is parked and would prefer to pay to reapply film if it was damaged vs repaint a door from some guy getting to close while it is parked. Also if reselling it adds some peace of mind that as long as the installer didn't leave any razor marks the paint should be fine under the PPF. Wrapping your car doesn't give as much protection as PPF due to the thickness, but that trick about the steamer is great. The car is scheduled to have a third party that specializes in Paint Protection Film and Wraps next month. Hopefully, they can correct the issues and don't find any razor marks in the clear coat from the first installer. Also to answer your question the PPF was installed about 3 years ago when the car was first delivered, but it never was picked up so it sat. Then once it was sold again the ceramic coating was done by the same dealer / their third party a few weeks ago. It's cool that you go through several wraps for your car. For paint, I might be inclined to pay for a wrap as an option rather than a 10K paint option, if ordering new.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:14 AM
Clear Bra and Cermaic Protection

I watched a lot of YouTube installs and decided 3M because of reputation. The new quality films are designed for fast and easy application even for the DIY installers. They also provide great Tech Support. I am very satisfied with the looks and quality of 3M. It was very is to apply and forgiving. The best way to apply is place the car in direct sun light to heat the surface and then back to a 70 degree plus covered dust free area with the best lighting possible. The key to bubble free surface is to continually overlap the squeegee "Like using a paint roller" when applying. I found the steamer handheld type was too messy, hot, and when trying to handle the film while stretching it was very difficult. I know professional installers can knock it out very fast. I found when removing older films steam and adhesive removers work great. Another method for removal of left over adhesive is using 409 cleaner.
My main reason for installing PPF was road conditions damage. It also protects the very expensive headlight lenses. I polished the lenses to a clear scratch free surface prior to coating. I do think the Bentley ownership deserves to be kept in a pristine appearing driving condition. We don't really own our cars we are just care takers. Dammed if don't and Dammed if you do!!
Yes, I have installed Cermaic Coating on the PPF of my Viper with no appearing side issues. I have a 1971 DeTomaso Pantera that I PPF coated on various body panels with a lesser quality film 6 years ago and have used Cermaic Coating on it for 2 years. I am on my second C Coating use now. The protection still works great and looks outstanding when showing. It took a double coat on the PPF do to absorption, I would suggest watching YouTube pros. You can get crazy polishing and prepping the paint before application, or just clean, clay-bar the paint thoroughly with wax and silicon removers and then apply Cermaic for a daily driver. The theory behind Cermaic is tough and maintenance free. It lasts for at least 6 months.They have rejuvenators for top coating that can be use to freshen the shine. If you attempt to add any type of sealer or an off brand top coating it will dull the Cermaic Coating and eliminates the reason for using Cermaic Coatings. Cermaic protection use it for trouble free maintenance and washings.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 PM
MBi
Originally Posted by Rons GT Speed
I watched a lot of YouTube installs and decided 3M because of reputation. The new quality films are designed for fast and easy application even for the DIY installers. They also provide great Tech Support. I am very satisfied with the looks and quality of 3M. It was very is to apply and forgiving. The best way to apply is place the car in direct sun light to heat the surface and then back to a 70 degree plus covered dust free area with the best lighting possible. The key to bubble free surface is to continually overlap the squeegee "Like using a paint roller" when applying. I found the steamer handheld type was too messy, hot, and when trying to handle the film while stretching it was very difficult. I know professional installers can knock it out very fast. I found when removing older films steam and adhesive removers work great. Another method for removal of left over adhesive is using 409 cleaner.
My main reason for installing PPF was road conditions damage. It also protects the very expensive headlight lenses. I polished the lenses to a clear scratch free surface prior to coating. I do think the Bentley ownership deserves to be kept in a pristine appearing driving condition. We don't really own our cars we are just care takers. Dammed if don't and Dammed if you do!!
Yes, I have installed Cermaic Coating on the PPF of my Viper with no appearing side issues. I have a 1971 DeTomaso Pantera that I PPF coated on various body panels with a lesser quality film 6 years ago and have used Cermaic Coating on it for 2 years. I am on my second C Coating use now. The protection still works great and looks outstanding when showing. It took a double coat on the PPF do to absorption, I would suggest watching YouTube pros. You can get crazy polishing and prepping the paint before application, or just clean, clay-bar the paint thoroughly with wax and silicon removers and then apply Cermaic for a daily driver. The theory behind Cermaic is tough and maintenance free. It lasts for at least 6 months.They have rejuvenators for top coating that can be use to freshen the shine. If you attempt to add any type of sealer or an off brand top coating it will dull the Cermaic Coating and eliminates the reason for using Cermaic Coatings. Cermaic protection use it for trouble free maintenance and washings.
Great information you provided. Just watched a upload from Obsessed Garage on YouTube going over coatings with Rupes. Basically which I now agree with the coatings can create more of a issue long term than normal wax. The ceramic coating is better for a car that you don't care about the paint and just want to wash easier. The coating is softer generally than the clear coat so it will show more scratches they were saying. So you are correct about the usage. The other thing is many detailer push ceramic coating even when it isn't the proper way to take care of the vehicle as it's all labor vs the material cost.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:35 AM
John R. Allen is an unknown quantity at this point
I removed my 3M paint protection film and just had Artic Coating applied. The Person John who came do the Artic Coating spent hours, first correcting the paint removing all paint imperfections and scratches on my 2008 GTC. Then he applied the Artic Coating and it looks AMAZING!

Old 05-19-2019, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by John R. Allen
I removed my 3M paint protection film and just had Artic Coating applied. The Person John who came do the Artic Coating spent hours, first correcting the paint removing all paint imperfections and scratches on my 2008 GTC. Then he applied the Artic Coating and it looks AMAZING!
I just watched the advertisement video on YouTube and the Artic PPF appears to be a great product. I have never heard of it. Excelent find. It is a film to consider applying. There are so many films coming out it is hard to keep up with what product is the best. I hope you will post future protection results of the film on you car.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 PM
MBi
Originally Posted by John R. Allen
Why not have it covered in PPF again after they removed all the imperfections then apply the coating to the film?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection film filling with water?