Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Buying first Bentley (and only second used car ever) next week - what to look out for

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:20 AM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
So, stupid question - how do you get your tires to the shop to have them switched out each season? I suspect the answer is "pay someone a bunch of money to do it or have someone drive the tires in a separate car". Neither are ideal but ...
Or get another set of rims and tires for winter and just switch them out in your garage. Save a ton in the long run.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 AM
MBi
MBi is an unknown quantity at this point
So, stupid question - how do you get your tires to the shop to have them switched out each season? I suspect the answer is "pay someone a bunch of money to do it or have someone drive the tires in a separate car". Neither are ideal but ...
Yes second car to drop them off then bring the main car. It's not a bunch of money it's less than 200 for tires swapped each season at a local shop.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:42 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Buy a set of winter/used wheels with snow tires mounted. Then it's just a wheel swap for the seasons. Hopefully there is a shop near that offers a wheel storage program.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 PM
2tall4economy is on a distinguished road
So I:
Went to dealer #2 - was some seriously salty Eastern Europeans there and the place looked like it was about to fall apart - my sirens were going off left and right so I exited stage right very quickly. What they did do though is confirm the value of my trade was pretty reasonable at dealer #1.

Here is what I asked dealer #1 based on this thread and other reading I've done, and their response. Heading over tomorrow to negotiate a final price. Anything else I should think of?

I'm thinking I go there, ask for more money by getting a free set of winter tires and half the cost of the CPO process. Or maybe 100% of the CPO ($9,500 per them). What do you think?

• For summer/winter tires, I don’t have a good way to transport the extra set of tires back and forth each season. Do you offer any sort of “ease of execution” option here (such as storage of the extra set of tires at your site or offering to pick up the car and drop it off with the tires each time)? We will store them for you and charge $195 per seasonal change
• Please let me know when the last time was that the tires and brakes were replaced Brakes are original, tires have been changed at least one time
• What is your approach to managing pre-purchase inspections? Do you allow me to take the car to another dealer? IF not, how do you propose I do this? there is a 500 mile return policy (presumably I buy it then take it to a dealer to confirm it then bring back within 500 miles)
• What is your approach to warranty repairs / loaner vehicles ? "of course we have complimentary loaners as necessary"
• What is the current tread depth on the tires? 6mm front, 8mm rear. Wheels were swapped with other Bentley brand wheels at some point and are not original.

For all questions below, I got the answer: "Only factory parts are and can be used on any Bentley vehicle.Dealers can not use non Bentley parts and products." sounds like it could be legit or could be a line.
• Have the wheels been refinished or are they still original?
• What parts have been reconditioned on the vehicle?
• Has the car been touched up at all? If so how?
• What repairs have you made since you acquired the vehicle, if any

Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
You should have the dealer pull a VAGCOM scan off the car for you.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:18 AM
1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of1eapplebaum has much to be proud of
Do a Carfax report. Make sure to get both keys and owner's manual. Who is the selling dealer?Perhaps someone has an experience to share?

Pinch yourself a few times if you really want to drive this car in the Chicagoland winter. As stated earlier they have enough trouble with rainwater let alone salt. My two cents.

There have been posts on this forum and articles online regarding convertible top failures. Perhaps by 2013 that problem has been rectified. Apparently the repair if necessary is $20,000 +.

Last edited by 1eapplebaum; 07-16-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Not exactly the best pictures, but hey, at least it's now mine

Don't judge me on the Traverse. It's the wifes and she values interior cargo space above all else...

Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Oh, that's beautiful! Congrats....nice car...well done!

Old 07-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice wheels, well done enjoy ...

Old 07-19-2019, 01:37 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Don't judge me on the Traverse. It's the wifes and she values interior cargo space above all else...

Something tells me She’s going to want to swap the extra cargo space for the extra horsepower often 🤣
Nice!

Old 07-19-2019, 04:07 PM
MBi
So what was the final agreement you came to for your car? Were they able to move much on price?

Old 07-19-2019, 04:11 PM
MBi
Not sure if you have a battery tender but CTEK makes them at a relatively fair price. You can buy off eBay a magnetic adapter for ctek that attaches the rear bumper of your car to charge it when not in use and the best part is since it's magnetic and exterior no need to keep the car open. Also if want you can get the All Season floor mats inexpensively online.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by MBi
Not sure if you have a battery tender but CTEK makes them at a relatively fair price. You can buy off eBay a magnetic adapter for ctek that attaches the rear bumper of your car to charge it when not in use and the best part is since it's magnetic and exterior no need to keep the car open. Also if want you can get the All Season floor mats inexpensively online.
I’m curious to know how ppl who used the magnetic adapter felt about drilling a hole to install it. If I did I would do two, one for each battery. I’m still on the fence about the holes tho.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
Does that year GTC have a 12v outlet in the trunk? That's gotta be the easiest way to connect the charger...

Old 07-23-2019, 12:40 AM
They moved a little but not too much. They provided new tires and new brakes (which they wouldn't have under CPO since it wasn't below the threshold) and cut the CPO price for me. I think it was a reasonable deal but I probably didn't get the best price I could have. I should have asked for new wipers and a new 2nd key (it's heavily used and looks like crap).

Last edited by 2tall4economy; 07-23-2019 at 12:47 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying first Bentley (and only second used car ever) next week - what to look out for