Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

New member Bentley 2014 Flying Spur

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 12:33 PM
harihoudini is an unknown quantity at this point
New member Bentley 2014 Flying Spur

Hi Folks

Just joined the community today with a recent delivery of my new (to me) 2014 Bentley Flying Spur. What an amazing vehicle! While the GT/GTCs get much love and the FS is a bit of a polarizing car, I think the refresh is particularly beautiful. I guess its in the eye of the beholder.
I managed to snag one with quite a decent spec and very nice interior choices (I didn't much care for the wood grain nor the creme leather due to dirt) so this was a very nice combo.

Mulliner spec, ACC, Naim Audio, center console in back. etc. Only options missing are the rear seat entertainment and fridge (neither of which i will ever use).
Some pics attached.

Meanwhile - I wanted to let folks know that when i received the car (after having done a PPI) the ACC was not working ("ACC not available msg"). I managed to get this cleared using OBDELEVEN using adaptation screen and its working like a charm again. Saved me a massive $$ avoiding a trip to the Bentley dealer for "calibration" of misaligned sensor.
Hope to learn from the veterans about keeping this car running smoothly!

Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Beautiful! Love the interior!

It's a small community. A couple of good "nuts and bolts" guys. Some really good electronics AV guys too.

Last edited by BWings; 08-27-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:34 PM
Rico.Adams is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by harihoudini
Hi Folks

Just joined the community today with a recent delivery of my new (to me) 2014 Bentley Flying Spur. What an amazing vehicle! While the GT/GTCs get much love and the FS is a bit of a polarizing car, I think the refresh is particularly beautiful. I guess its in the eye of the beholder.
I managed to snag one with quite a decent spec and very nice interior choices (I didn't much care for the wood grain nor the creme leather due to dirt) so this was a very nice combo.

Mulliner spec, ACC, Naim Audio, center console in back. etc. Only options missing are the rear seat entertainment and fridge (neither of which i will ever use).
Some pics attached.

Meanwhile - I wanted to let folks know that when i received the car (after having done a PPI) the ACC was not working ("ACC not available msg"). I managed to get this cleared using OBDELEVEN using adaptation screen and its working like a charm again. Saved me a massive $$ avoiding a trip to the Bentley dealer for "calibration" of misaligned sensor.
Hope to learn from the veterans about keeping this car running smoothly!

Welcome to the forum ... friend ... Oh nice car looks beautiful ...

Old 08-27-2019, 02:45 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Yeah, that red stitching really pops!

Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by BWings
Yeah, that red stitching really pops!
I want to pinch that steering wheel with the red stitching would look great in my car ... Lol ...

Old 08-27-2019, 05:09 PM
Beautiful! Love the interior!

It's a small community. A couple of good "nuts and bolts" guys. Some really good electronics AV guys too.
Awesome!

I'm particularly keen to know about known issues with this thing...

1. I already see that the Infotainment is really really slow to kickoff when you start it up. The backup camera takes like 5 minutes to figure out if it needs to work or not... any fixes for this?
2. Already changed the control arms and did an oil service as part of PPI results (control arms are a known thing apparently)
3. I hear that air suspension (shocks) will start leaking eventually and its important to replace with Arnott before compressor fails
4. what else goes wrong with this thing? I thought i was buying a glorified VW/Audi and with it some reliability...

Old 08-28-2019, 05:25 AM
Good Morning Hari!

I'll take a shot at a couple of these Qs.

1. The infotainment system is one of three sections that make up the entire Can bus system of the car. Of the three, the Can bus management originates in the infotainment system. I cannot comment much about the speed in which it boots up (speed is relative with different observers). If there are no fault codes posted then there should be nothing wrong with the system. Just what it is.

2. N/A

3. Yes, these systems fail (wear out) over time. They all do - Jaguars, Audis, MBs, etc. Arnott is a good supplier with a known history. If your Compressor fails, ping me. I have a rebuild process that works almost every time and far less cost than the compressor.

4. You bought a glorified VW/Audi that is finicky....lol....

Old 08-28-2019, 07:04 AM
Good Morning Hari!

I'll take a shot at a couple of these Qs.

1. The infotainment system is one of three sections that make up the entire Can bus system of the car. Of the three, the Can bus management originates in the infotainment system. I cannot comment much about the speed in which it boots up (speed is relative with different observers). If there are no fault codes posted then there should be nothing wrong with the system. Just what it is.

2. N/A

3. Yes, these systems fail (wear out) over time. They all do - Jaguars, Audis, MBs, etc. Arnott is a good supplier with a known history. If your Compressor fails, ping me. I have a rebuild process that works almost every time and far less cost than the compressor.

4. You bought a glorified VW/Audi that is finicky....lol....

Thanks much for your reply. I will keep you posted on the compressor. Appreciate the help!
Also I figured out that if i keep the A/V system off the camera system works quickly (I believe its the BT syncing with my phone that slows everything down)

Old 08-28-2019, 07:13 AM
Thanks much for your reply. I will keep you posted on the compressor. Appreciate the help!
Also I figured out that if i keep the A/V system off the camera system works quickly (I believe its the BT syncing with my phone that slows everything down)
Yeah, the syncing could be the slowdown.

I am considering doing a separate thread write up on the air compressor. That way anyone can benefit and find it in a search.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Hi H, Re your B/T are you using an Android or iPhone ... the reason being the software is old being a 2014 car & your using an up to date phone which is running Android 9 version or iPhone 12.4, this will still work but slow ... Bentley will not release an update for your car or any other car which are older than 3 years old ... can you tell me what B/T software is running on your system ...

Last edited by Rico.Adams; 08-28-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:08 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
Nice looking sedan harihoudini!

Haven't seen one with contrast red stitching /mulliner and turned aluminum. Stunning combination.

One maintenance item I would recommend is making sure the drainage tubes are clear, as this is a known issue on a number of VAG cars.

Keeping an eye on the wheel bearings might be another thing. These seem to have a higher failure rate than other vehicles, due to the weight.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-28-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Good suggestion on the drainage tubes Sam. It would b high on my list!

Hari,

I see you've met one of the Electronics smart guys I alluded to. Rico knows his stuff!

Last edited by BWings; 08-29-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:34 PM
Good suggestion on the drainage tubes Sam. It would b high on my list!

Hari,

I see you've met one of the Electronics smart guys I eluded to. Rico knows his stuff!
Hello Sir ... hope your still boiling out there in 44*c we are back to where we should be 19*c & raining, going to your favourite place on Friday just for the day ...

Old 08-28-2019, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
Hi H, Re your B/T are you using an Android or iPhone ... the reason being the software is old being a 2014 car & your using an up to date phone which is running Android 9 version or iPhone 12.4, this will still work but slow ... Bentley will not release an update for your car or any other car which are older than 3 years old ... can you tell me what B/T software is running on your system ...
Do you want to know the android or Bentley software?

Old 08-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Do you want to know the android or Bentley software?
Bentley, Please H ... I assume you have an Android phone running the latest software ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member Bentley 2014 Flying Spur