Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Digital Speedometer Disappeared

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 02:52 PM
slidefighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Digital Speedometer Disappeared

As a result of a failure/malfunction in my TPMS system, I pulled fuse 11 in the trunk fuse box. I was getting regular "flat tire" warnings which have now stopped, leaving only a tire symbol with a slash through it. Immediately after, my digital speedometer display disappeared.

Are these two events connected? And, if so, any information available on how I fix it? I'm the new owner of a 2005 Continental and not yet well versed in its details.

Lee...

Old 11-18-2019, 04:03 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
Hi Lee,

Is it just blank on the screen where the speed used to be, or are you seeing some other information?

Assume you've tried pressing the menu button on the steering wheel and turning the knurled **** below it? (don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence, just ruling out the obvious, just in case)

A picture might help.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:54 AM
pwc6t3 is on a distinguished road
Did you use a scan tool to reset the TPMS module, or did you just pull the fuse?
You can also just put the fuse back and see if the speedo shows back up, if you didn't use the scan tool.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:02 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
2005 Continental has a digital speedo display???

Old 11-19-2019, 01:20 PM
pwc6t3 is on a distinguished road
Yes. I have never use the analog dial, just the digital display in-between the tachometer and the speedo.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Got back to the Bentley today, let me see if I can catch up with the discussion:

1. Yes, the screen is simply blank where the digital speedo used to be.
2. Yes, I've tried tracking down the missing info via both the steering wheel switch options and the ones associated with the Infotainment system.
3. No, I have not yet bought the scan tool. I will do that shortly.
4. Yes, I replaced fuse 11 in the boot but the system did not revert to its previous displays and responses. It is acting as if the fuse is still removed.
5. I am attaching a (not very good) photo below---it was a bit dark in the garage and the auto-camera selected a quite long exposure. The yellowish looking disc at the top is a tire symbol with a slash through it warning that the TPMS system is inoperative. The rest refers to the "trip" system, the transmission status, the channel that's on the radio. The digital speedo used to be displayed approximately center left in the display. The rest of the display along the bottom (not visible in the picture) contains the usual trip distance, total mileage, etc.

Current plan is to install new "clonable" aftermarket TPMS sensors and see what happens. Any other ideas are welcome!

Lee...

Old 11-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Okay then, where the heck did I see it while driving the car home? Maybe it was in the analog speedometer display? It was there somewhere for sure, and for whatever reason, its gone now!

Lee...

Old 11-21-2019, 07:24 PM
I must have been dreaming! Thanks for the information!

Lee...

Old 11-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Samhain is on a distinguished road
Phew! Thought I was nuts!

Old 11-22-2019, 12:40 AM
John Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Fiammetta has a reputation beyond repute
One of the knurled button functions is to set a speed limit chime .
So you can while driving ( or otherwise ) get a “ speed digital display “up while setting this function .
But I don’t think from memory it’s a true real time speedo as such .
Perhaps that’s what you saw ?

There are threads on here about permanently disabling the yellow TPMS light .You need a proper scanner and go to that page and enter a different code / value .....to trick the ECU ....something along those lines .
Assuming you elect not to replace the low battery wheel sensors .

here you are see posts #51/52
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-thread-4.html

Last edited by John Fiammetta; 11-22-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:17 AM
John: Thanks for the TPMS info. I had already tracked that down through the forum search function (which works quite well I think). I'm waiting to talk to my local "tire guy" before making any more moves in that direction and he's not available just at the moment. I think I'm going to try fresh aftermarket sensors first before disabling the system.

In the meantime, I'm thinking I must have confused the display in my 2007 Aston Martin Vantage with this car---that's all I can think of. The Vantage definitely has a digital display in addition to its analog speed indication. Getting old is not for the meek, believe me!

Lee...

Old 11-26-2019, 10:19 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
I was scratching my head, previous owner disabled TPMS, so I was thinking, "Hmm...there's a digital speedometer missing because of the missing TPMS?"

I'm glad to find out there never was one.

I know I was startled the first time I saw the speed warning light, it is colored when everything else is orange LED.

I torture myself by leaving the display on current MPG. Boy this car gets terrible mileage. But I like it. I wonder how many Teslas I'm countering?

Old 11-27-2019, 06:17 AM
Ha! By the time you factor in the gasoline, diesel, and electrical power necessary to locate, dig for, extract, crush, and sort the coal that you then have to ship by diesel locomotives to the power stations to be burned to boil the water into steam that drives the turbines that drive the dynamos that generate the electricity to power the electric grid that then charges the batteries that drive a Tesla---I'm not sure you're offsetting anything at all!

I will continue to drive my Bentley with a light heart and a wry smile on my face!

Lee...

Old 11-27-2019, 01:14 PM
sam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud ofsam08861 has much to be proud of
Ha ha!

I like things that are inefficient, overbuilt and 'old tech!'

For instance Class A amplifiers.... so inefficient, yet sooo good. Tube class A, even less efficient and even better!
IMO, all the best stuff is heavy, inefficient and built to last... Studer Reel to reel players, Vitamix blenders, Le Cornue stoves, rolex deep sea, etc.

Since it's not my daily, and I do things in moderation during the week. it's 13mpg avg for me is part of my weekend indulgence "therapy" including french press with heavy cream, chorizo and eggs, a drive in the country, a good bordaux, cuban cigar and too many other vices. On the other hand it gets way more mpg than a boat!

Old 11-27-2019, 04:09 PM
We all think alike then! Neither of my aircraft get very good fuel mileage either---but I love them anyway. Either way though, they are both vastly more efficient than the military aircraft I used to fly! All in "moderation"...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Digital Speedometer Disappeared