Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

CarPlay retrofit in 2006 GT (xcarlink)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 02:42 PM
Raphael is an unknown quantity at this point
Question CarPlay retrofit in 2006 GT (xcarlink)

Hi everyone,

i am new on this forum, purchased my bentley 5 months ago, 30k miles, full service history, pack Mulliner. So far, have driven 2,500 miles, really love it, fuel consumption was quite a shock though.

i have had to do a few repairs which left me with a bill of close to 6k pounds, (tyres, break pads, faulty aerofoil etc), quite of a surprise but now car running perfectly.

I have already swapped the CD charger with a GROM bluetooth, working perfectly, and now pondering the addition of the xcarlink system (or any other alternative), has anyone tried it? Do you know how difficult it is to install and which add-ons are required?

looking at this: http://xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=423&cat=46&page=1

Here is a message from the seller:

The kit needs to be installed by making connections into the back of your factory screen/head unit. An installation manual is provided with it and we also offer support if needed.

VW PHAETON / BENTLEY CONTINENTAL MULTIMEDIA REAR CAMERA INTERFACE - Prod. ID: SKU14997

Does it support front camera? Yes it does have a Front Camera Input.

Which adds on are required:
Add AUX/USB Interface: what is this used for? This is required if your car does not have an AUX input (it usually will not). It will give you an AUX input into your system for sound and a USB port to playback music files if desired.
Add DVB-T Digital TV Tuner + 2 Antenna: does the tv work while vehicle is in motion? Yes it does
Add SmartPhone mirroing interfac: can this be used to stream movies from my iphone or display waze from iphone?Yes, this will allow you to display your phone on your factory screen.
Add 3/4 DIN DVD Player with SD & USB Playbac: what is this used for? Playing DVD's on your factory screen, probably not needed with smartphone mirroring .
Add Apple Carplay/Android Auto Module with Digital Touch Pane: what is this used for? Is the mirroing interface not sufficient to have Carplay like function? Screen is not a touchscreen in my bentley. This would give you an Apple Carplay/Android Auto system and it is supplied with a digital Touch panel which fits over the front of your screen to make it into touch screen. The mirroring will allow you to view apps and waze etc on your screen but Apple Carplay is a separate system which is only provided with this option.
thanks a lot

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Gone, But Not Forgotten.
British has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud ofBritish has much to be proud of
Ha. Welcome to my life . I knew how bad the gas mileage was, kinda thought of it as a point-of-pride before I bought it. Now? I can see the fuel gauge move and it makes me edgy. Not because of the cost (I've already accepted that) but in terms of the inconvenience, since I live in Chicago and the only reasonable gas station is Costco for the octane. BP (in Chicago) is just insulting.

I once let it get down to the warning level and had to get gas at 11:30 at night in the 'hood, which the boys hanging out at the convenience store. I thought for sure I was going to get surrounded and hassled, but I lucked out. I do NOT like getting gas in the 'hood with this car.

Now, at half a tank, I'm already thinking about my next fill-up, which takes a little of the fun out of it.

In terms of your radio, search that board. I recommend the Ben Our with an Alpine, I documented mine. Your mileage may vary. Heh.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:14 PM
kongolo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Raphael
Hi everyone,

i am new on this forum, purchased my bentley 5 months ago, 30k miles, full service history, pack Mulliner. So far, have driven 2,500 miles, really love it, fuel consumption was quite a shock though.

i have had to do a few repairs which left me with a bill of close to 6k pounds, (tyres, break pads, faulty aerofoil etc), quite of a surprise but now car running perfectly.

I have already swapped the CD charger with a GROM bluetooth, working perfectly, and now pondering the addition of the xcarlink system (or any other alternative), has anyone tried it? Do you know how difficult it is to install and which add-ons are required?

looking at this:

Here is a message from the seller:

thanks a lot
Did you ever get to install this?

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 01-08-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:02 PM
awchristler is on a distinguished road
did you go ahead with this or find another brand, im in search of options as id like to do the same thing, thanks

Old 01-09-2024, 05:08 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by awchristler
did you go ahead with this or find another brand, im in search of options as id like to do the same thing, thanks
Reading the post I recon he has probably sold it. You cant live with that sort of anxiety.