Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentley air suspension restart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 07:53 AM
Jurgeenh Borbon is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I perform a suspension calibration using my Autel MaxySis Elite scanner or do I have to use no matter what a VCDS scanner in order to perform the adaptation succesfully?
I did this calibration in my Mercedes using my Autel scanner when I replaced the front struts and worked perfectly.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:15 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
I find all this timber under the wheels very amusing not to say the least. One of my Bentley's is a 2006 Continental GT.
Over the covid months I left it in the garage for months didn't start it didn't look at it.
What I did do was to leave the condenser charger plugged in on a timer 2 hours on 12 hours off. which worked a treat as when I evenully did go to start her up she fired up without any problems except one.
The car was on the ground and this is not the first time this has happened. Oh well I started the car and within a minute she started to rise to its normal level. This was without any kind of timber under the wheels. Yes the red light came on saying 'Fault" but extinguished once it got to normal level.
I cant understand why timber under the wheels would make any difference to the height of the car, yes you would lift the car by 4" if your using 4" timber but you would be lifting not just the car but the wheels too and the wheels would still be bottomed out touching the arches.
I can understand putting timber under the body and letting the jack drop the car onto the timber so the wheels then space out and touch the ground with the body 4" higher.

Well anyway every time my car is grounded shall we say its gone right back up to its normal level without timber.
I'll do a video next time ...
@Rico.Adams ,
There is nothing amusing about the wood under the tires... it serves a purpose.

It just seems that a few have missed the point of the lumber under the tires, if one can fit a standard/normal size floor jack under the vehicle to jack it up, then it is not totally bottomed out, it may have looked lower, but I doubt totally bottomed out, especially since you had the charger hooked up...

One does not jack the vehicle up to place the wood under each tire, because if truly bottomed out, one could not get a floor jack under the vehicle to jack it up in the first place, one would place a 2"H X 6"W X 8"L piece at each tire, or at least the front tires, then one would drive the vehicle up onto the wood, if it is still not high enough, one would place a double stack of the same size and drive up again, now one will have clearance to get floor jacks under the vehicle on each side to get the suspension system sensor up from their bottomed out position.

As I have stated previously more then a few times, I have had this same issue with my 05 A8L W12, and with my GT, with the GT after installation of the engine and transmission, then the suspension, the bags were empty, and when I put the vehicle on the ground, it was completely bottomed out, I could not even pull the floor jack out from under the vehicle, and the suspension compressor would not turn on, because I had already had the floor jack in place, I jacked it back up and put a double stack of 2 X 6 under the drivers side tire, which then gave me some room to get the passenger side up, I did the same on the passenger side as to the wood under the tire, then by placing a floor jack on each side of the vehicle, I jacked it up off of it's bottomed out position, then the suspension compressor came on and did the rest.

Now if someone is completely bottomed out and wants to try the output test via Ross-Tech VCDS on the suspension control module, that would also be possible, but I didn't have mine with me at that moment.

My A8L W12 acted the same way after I installed all new front suspension parts, eventhough it was in jack mode, it didn't matter, because I has to remove the air feed lines from each front strut to collapse them for the work being performed, well when I lowered the lift, the vehicle was totally bottomed out, even with jack mode off, it would not lift, no running of the suspension compressor either, I lifted the lift a few inches to bring the body up a bit, and the system kicked on and filled the air suspension.

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 09-11-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:35 PM
Administrator
Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !Johnny Hotspur GT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rico.Adams
JH
Well I do find it amusing because the theory is total rubbish there is no logic behind sticking timber under the wheel because as I mentioned it wouldn't make one bit of difference if you had the car on level ground. There are much simper ways of jacking a vehicle if bottomed out as you put it, and it's not sticking timber under ones wheels, one can simply use a scissor jack lift the car use a conventional jack and move to the next corner and repeat the process. I wouldn't recommend anyone to put their 2,5 ton vehicle on timber.
and why are you following me around again like a child lost ... please don't rectify my spelling mistakes you may be an administrator but your not a teacher ...
@Rico.Adams ,
As to my correction of your typo of spanner vs. scanner, I was just trying to help, so as to stop the question of why one would use a wrench on an airbag.

As to this thread, I am doing the same, being helpful.

Johnny

Old 05-31-2023, 04:21 PM
Recher123321 is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 flying

I had the same problem, I replaced the two new front air shock absorbers, and the new air compressor, and now the front of the nose is completely bottoming out, the compressor won't work, I studied it for so long that I was going crazy

Old 05-31-2023, 04:24 PM
The two rear air suspensions also bottomed out I think,But higher than front

Old 06-07-2023, 08:17 PM
2006 flying supr

Originally Posted by Johnny Hotspur GT
@Rico.Adams ,
As to my correction of your typo of spanner vs. scanner, I was just trying to help, so as to stop the question of why one would use a wrench on an airbag.

As to this thread, I am doing the same, being helpful.

Johnny
Hi,
My car hasn't started for a year because the pneumatic shock absorber had a leak. I recently replaced it with a new shock absorber and air compressor, but they are not working properly,I think there is no pressure in the tank and the pressure in the air compressor is not enough to raise the four shock absorbers from the minimum, should I fill the tank with at least 16bar of helium as I did with the Porsche to make the system work properly?

Old 06-08-2023, 04:01 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Recher123321
Hi,
My car hasn't started for a year because the pneumatic shock absorber had a leak. I recently replaced it with a new shock absorber and air compressor, but they are not working properly,I think there is no pressure in the tank and the pressure in the air compressor is not enough to raise the four shock absorbers from the minimum, should I fill the tank with at least 16bar of helium as I did with the Porsche to make the system work properly?
​​​​​​Hello @Recher123321 ,
I merged your two accounts into one.

As to your suspension issues, have you lifted the vehicle with floor jacks, or lift, to the proper height to get the vehicle above the bottomed out position, as already stated, when the vehicle is totally bottomed out, as yours is, because you removed the air line, and the vehicle has been sitting for a year, the compressor will not run.

Do you have Ross-Tech VCDS to do output tests, have you checked the voltage and health of both batteries, checked the compressor relay ?

Your comment of not enough pressure in the compressor itself is confusing, if the compressor is not running at all, then there is or there will be no pressure in the accumulator tank, and the compressor has no pressure, as it is not running, or are you saying that the compressor is running, but is weak ?

We need more details to help.

Johnny

Old 06-08-2023, 09:31 AM
2005 flying supr

​​​​​​Hello @Recher123321 ,
I merged your two accounts into one.

As to your suspension issues, have you lifted the vehicle with floor jacks, or lift, to the proper height to get the vehicle above the bottomed out position, as already stated, when the vehicle is totally bottomed out, as yours is, because you removed the air line, and the vehicle has been sitting for a year, the compressor will not run.

Do you have Ross-Tech VCDS to do output tests, have you checked the voltage and health of both batteries, checked the compressor relay ?

Your comment of not enough pressure in the compressor itself is confusing, if the compressor is not running at all, then there is or there will be no pressure in the accumulator tank, and the compressor has no pressure, as it is not running, or are you saying that the compressor is running, but is weak ?

We need more details to help.

Johnny
Hi,
thanks for your reply,I was try use VCDS to let pump work,but it showed me 01437 and 01577, one is not learned one is Overheat protection, and I try use vcds to fix 01437 but not successful,so I try use test system to let pump work and up the car,but the pump only can work maybe 2 minutes and will stop show the code 01577,(turn off due to over temp),and vcds showed the pressure only have 5.6bar,when I use test system to let pump work, I'll hear the right front shock Clarak noise , the pump is working but 4 air suspension not have any reaction,2 minutes later the pump will stop work due overtemp

Old 06-08-2023, 09:39 AM
Administrator
@Recher123321 ,
If the compressor is shutting off after only 2 minutes, and it only builds 5.6 bar, I have to ask, did you install a brand new compressor, or a used one, if new, what brand ?

I am not at my VCDS right now, but is that 5.6 bar in the accumulator tank, or is it another reading, I can not recall right at this moment which reading is which, or if there are different readings... sorry.

The compressor should be able to run longer, is the compressor noisy, or shaking in it's mounting bracket ?

Have you checked the plugs at the compressor / valve block for any corrosion, is it possible that the valve block is not opening ports properly to allow the air to go to it's proper destination, kind of like a closed valve, therefore the compressor is pumping against a dead head and overheating in just 2 minutes.

How is the charge on the house battery, large left side ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:14 AM
2005 Bentley flying supr

@Recher123321 ,
If the compressor is shutting off after only 2 minutes, and it only builds 5.6 bar, I have to ask, did you install a brand new compressor, or a used one, if new, what brand ?

I am not at my VCDS right now, but is that 5.6 bar in the accumulator tank, or is it another reading, I can not recall right at this moment which reading is which, or if there are different readings... sorry.

The compressor should be able to run longer, is the compressor noisy, or shaking in it's mounting bracket ?

Have you checked the plugs at the compressor / valve block for any corrosion, is it possible that the valve block is not opening ports properly to allow the air to go to it's proper destination, kind of like a closed valve, therefore the compressor is pumping against a dead head and overheating in just 2 minutes.

How is the charge on the house battery, large left side ?

Johnny
Hi
the air compressor is new,I bought it form eBay, there is the link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185256251472?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=pfWVgpugSlK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=aibugi6ptn i&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The battery should be fine I think, because every time I test the air suspension I will start the car, the big battery is 12.6V when I start the car the battery will be 13.7V.I knew that when Porsche replaced the air compressor it needed to fill the tank with 16bar of nitrogen to make the system work properly, but I had never heard of Bentley, Do they work the same way? There's not enough pressure in the air tank so we need outside intervention?

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Link
Old 06-08-2023, 10:47 AM
Administrator
@Recher123321 ,
Battery voltage is a little low, a good voltage would be 13 volts + without the engine running, my new battery registered 13.4 volts, and 14.1 when engine is running, but I am not sure that is your issue at this moment, as you said, you have the engine running, and you measure 13.7 volts, that if fine, so the issue is either power + positive, or ground - negative to the compressor, such as, a burnt compressor relay in the boot not giving a good clean full power connection, is the relay hot to the touch, I know when the engine is running it is hard to hear the compressor, so, can you put say a 10 amp battery charger on the house battery and activate the compressor through output test to listen to it without the engine running, so you can hear if it it nice smooth high speed running sound, or slow shaking under powered kind of sound, if you have ever heard both, you will know the difference, the next issue could be the valve block not letting full pressure through to the accumulator, but I have doubts about that some what, especially when you get a 5.6 bar reading, that leads me to the compressor or power issue, as the compressor should have no issue at all filling the accumulator to 16+ bar, I have done it many times with my GT, 05 A8L W12, and 04 A8L 4.2, and no, non of these use nitrogen to fill the system, and as there is no external port to fill from, it would be hard to do, as any time any line is removed from the valve block, the air in said line is depleted.

Johnny

Old 06-08-2023, 12:44 PM
2005 bentley flying supr

@Recher123321 ,
Battery voltage is a little low, a good voltage would be 13 volts + without the engine running, my new battery registered 13.4 volts, and 14.1 when engine is running, but I am not sure that is your issue at this moment, as you said, you have the engine running, and you measure 13.7 volts, that if fine, so the issue is either power + positive, or ground - negative to the compressor, such as, a burnt compressor relay in the boot not giving a good clean full power connection, is the relay hot to the touch, I know when the engine is running it is hard to hear the compressor, so, can you put say a 10 amp battery charger on the house battery and activate the compressor through output test to listen to it without the engine running, so you can hear if it it nice smooth high speed running sound, or slow shaking under powered kind of sound, if you have ever heard both, you will know the difference, the next issue could be the valve block not letting full pressure through to the accumulator, but I have doubts about that some what, especially when you get a 5.6 bar reading, that leads me to the compressor or power issue, as the compressor should have no issue at all filling the accumulator to 16+ bar, I have done it many times with my GT, 05 A8L W12, and 04 A8L 4.2, and no, non of these use nitrogen to fill the system, and as there is no external port to fill from, it would be hard to do, as any time any line is removed from the valve block, the air in said line is depleted.

Johnny
Hi,
I already try use vcds let pump work,and the pump is working and can push 16 bar to air tank(that’s good) but when I use vcds push air to front or rear suspension the bar only 7 bar,and have one more interesting thing,when I turn off the engine I'll hear a lot of deflating sounds sent out to the left front air shock absorber, and I suspect they're coming from the tank
yes,the air pump can push 16 bar to air tank

Old 06-08-2023, 01:16 PM
sazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud ofsazam has much to be proud of
1. what measuring blocks you check to confirm the preassure? would like to make sure we are on the same page with checking the preasure in the tank, absorbers etc.
2. trying to understand you - you say "when i use vcds push air to front or rear" - this is interesting - the output tests are sequential so you can not force to pump front or rear as you wish, it goes thru sequence. what you are doing actually?

Old 06-08-2023, 01:19 PM
2005 bentley flyingsupr

Originally Posted by sazam
1. what measuring blocks you check to confirm the preassure? would like to make sure we are on the same page with checking the preasure in the tank, absorbers etc.
2. trying to understand you - you say "when i use vcds push air to front or rear" - this is interesting - the output tests are sequential so you can not force to pump front or rear as you wish, it goes thru sequence. what you are doing actually?
I will share the link,
wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Level_Control_Bleeding/Charging
you can choose which one you want charging

Old 06-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Administrator
@Recher123321 ,
Ok, thank you for clearing that up, 16 bar at the accumulator is great !

It certainly appears to me that you have a leak, as the compressor fills the accumulator to 16 bar, and the accumulator will not be involved in filling or maintaining pressure in all of the struts unless the pressure between the accumulator and each strut is within 3 bars of each other, the sound of air you hear on the left front is no good, no air vents from any of the struts ever, the air vents for lowering of the vehicle at the rear of the vehicle on the compressor valve block assembly and it's exhaust solenoid.

You have a leak, that is why the vehicle will not raise up, on the compressor keeps overheating.

Which front strut did you replace ?

Johnny

Last edited by Johnny Hotspur GT; 06-08-2023 at 02:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Bentley air suspension restart