Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Another day, another Engine pull

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 09:19 AM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Dark Green
If the motorcycle in question is a Harley, then what follows will not be relevant, but do bear in mind that the fully dressed powertrain assembly weighs somewhere around 600kg, so a motorcycle lift may not be adequate. Also, the castors will have to be suitably rated.
Thanks... your concern is well heeded... I was certainly curious what to expect I'd be dealing with weight-wise. I wildly guessed the complete motor tips the scale around 350kg... but that's rather moot as what I've gathered, it seems apparent the recommended method is to remove the engine, tranny, and front drivetrain as a unit. 600kg (1300lbs) is certainly substantial. My scooter is a Harley dresser, and my motorcycle scissor lift handles it capably, but that bike "only" weighs about 375 kilos (800lbs.). Maybe I'll reconsider my first idea of using my forklift as it's rated to about 1350kg.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:06 AM
Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
Thanks... your concern is well heeded... I was certainly curious what to expect I'd be dealing with weight-wise. I wildly guessed the complete motor tips the scale around 350kg... but that's rather moot as what I've gathered, it seems apparent the recommended method is to remove the engine, tranny, and front drivetrain as a unit. 600kg (1300lbs) is certainly substantial. My scooter is a Harley dresser, and my motorcycle scissor lift handles it capably, but that bike "only" weighs about 375 kilos (800lbs.). Maybe I'll reconsider my first idea of using my forklift as it's rated to about 1350kg.
It's not possible to separate the engine from the transmission without removing the pair of them together, and the transmission weighs roughly 170kg, so you can see that even if the engine is only 300kg then the pair of them weigh close to 500kg.

Old 12-25-2021, 08:53 AM
W. M. Hellinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Dark Green
I used a scissor lift table very similar to that used by Zaos, however it had sufficient length to be able to support both the engine and the transmission.

I copied the factory manuals by making pair of support frames – one for the engine, one for the transmission, as shown in the pictures..
I've decided to purchase a scissor lift table for the job. I've spotted a reasonable deal on a 1500lb. capacity model with a 2ft. (60cm) x 4ft. (120cm) top, but going with the old saying: "Measure twice, buy once." I'd like to ask your opinion: "Should" the 2ft. width suffice? It seems the 4ft. length should be just right. I figure on fabricating a set of support frames like you did. I have other applications for a scissor lift table, and this 2' x 4' model is just right for those other applications... or rather: wider would be less desirable for the other applications. I threw a tape measure across the bottom of the replacement engine I have for my GTC... and a 2' width platform looks like that "should" be serviceable. Eh?

Old 12-26-2021, 05:21 AM
Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !Dark Green Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by W. M. Hellinger
I've decided to purchase a scissor lift table for the job. I've spotted a reasonable deal on a 1500lb. capacity model with a 2ft. (60cm) x 4ft. (120cm) top, but going with the old saying: "Measure twice, buy once." I'd like to ask your opinion: "Should" the 2ft. width suffice? It seems the 4ft. length should be just right. I figure on fabricating a set of support frames like you did. I have other applications for a scissor lift table, and this 2' x 4' model is just right for those other applications... or rather: wider would be less desirable for the other applications. I threw a tape measure across the bottom of the replacement engine I have for my GTC... and a 2' width platform looks like that "should" be serviceable. Eh?
I've just measured the marks on the bed of my scissor lift which show where the lifting frames sat, and they are 47" x 23½" so your proposed item would just about accommodate size wise.

My slight concern is that with such a narrow table, and presumably a commensurately narrow wheelbase and track, you wouldn't have a lot of stability with the engine raised, especially if the lift weighs significantly less than the powertrain.

This may or may not bother you depending on what you plan to do to the powertrain whilst it is out.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:44 AM
daf290 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a stalker here, trying to understand what is involved in owning a Bentley before I buy,
I would believe that you may want to use a clamp tite tool system for securing the rubber hose to the steel vacuum lines.
They make a very nice clamp easily.

https://clamptitetools.com/collectio...ptite-tool-kit

Old 12-26-2021, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by daf290
Just a stalker here, trying to understand what is involved in owning a Bentley before I buy,
I would believe that you may want to use a clamp tite tool system for securing the rubber hose to the steel vacuum lines.
They make a very nice clamp easily.

https://clamptitetools.com/collectio...ptite-tool-kit
Welcome!

That Clamptite tool is very interesting and novel idea, but having watched the video, it seems painfully slow compared to using Oetiker clamps which are the recommended clamping device.
Also, with the restricted access to some of the pipes, I think it would be a struggle to use the Clamptite tool.
In fairness though, it does offer the significant benefit of flexibility as regards hose size, and therefore means that one doesn't need to keep a stock of many different sizes of Oetiker clamps.