Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Bentlyy vs. Maserati

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:20 PM
thomascrown is on a distinguished road
Holy crap, I just realized this thread is a year old. Oops.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:03 AM
vizman is on a distinguished road
Anyways,..Bently.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Diablo79 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by s2kev
Hey guys, my dad is in the market for a new car and I was wondering what some of you guys would recommend. He was thinking about getting the 4 door Bentley Continental (Flying Spur I believe?) but then we saw a Maserati 4 door on the road the other day and he is now taking that car into consideration. I don't know much about either of these two cars and i was wondering if any of you had any experience with either of these cars and can provide some input. Thanks
Forget the Quattroporte. We just finished up with one. the transmission (even the new automatic) SUCKS. The suspension is floaty and the car is heavy....if you plan on driving it every day definitely forget about it. the interior is NOT that comfortable, and I am unimpressed with the Buick-esque styling and some of the cheap-looking/feeling interior materials.
Maybe we just got a lemon, but that was the sourest lemon I've ever tasted.

Go with a Benz or 760i

Old 04-12-2008, 07:48 PM
thomascrown is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Diablo79
Forget the Quattroporte. We just finished up with one. the transmission (even the new automatic) SUCKS. The suspension is floaty and the car is heavy....if you plan on driving it every day definitely forget about it. the interior is NOT that comfortable, and I am unimpressed with the Buick-esque styling and some of the cheap-looking/feeling interior materials.
Maybe we just got a lemon, but that was the sourest lemon I've ever tasted.

Go with a Benz or 760i
That's odd. I think you just got a bad unit.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
There are now three (3) versions of the QP.

The new QP "S" is a radically different car. Take a look at that one if you are so inclined.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:26 AM
ERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to beholdERSKATEDOC is a splendid one to behold
I have had both

I will never own another Maserati. Italian junk. The old FIAT (fix it again tony) still holds true.

They are great looking cars, but unless you like to drive a Nissan rental car while your POS Maserati is in the shop, don’t do it.

My wife’s second Maserati (2006 ) was in the shop for 4 weeks while they replaced the entire AC system (even had to remove the engine to replace parts in the firewall.)

She has had her 2007 Continental GT for one year, and it’s been a dream car. Just gas and go. All maintenance is covered for the first 3 years. They even gave us a Bentley loaner while the car was in the shop for the 10k oil change (free – covered in the maintenance agreement).

The service, quality, driving experience, and overall value makes it a perfect car. Its almost as good as my new 2008 997 TT cab!!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ERSKATEDOC
---I will never own another Maserati. Italian junk. The old FIAT (fix it again tony) still holds true.---
Wow you have had quite an experience and good to know.

I had first considered a QP, then a Gran Turismo when I saw that model, but I then decided against both for a variety of reasons. After reading your comments I think I am glad I did not commit to either.

They apparently do not have Ferrari reliability.

Also very good to know about your excellent Bentley experiences as I am moving that way.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:34 AM
ddoninja is on a distinguished road
Wow, really?.. Am currently looking at a used 07 QP Sport GT
Less than 7000 miles, New tires, carbon fiber interior...but these last two entries are making think...

Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 AM
jjparkusa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ddoninja
Wow, really?.. Am currently looking at a used 07 QP Sport GT
Less than 7000 miles, New tires, carbon fiber interior...but these last two entries are making think...

Any other opinions would be appreciated.
I thought about a QP for a long time and finally got an 07 sport gt auto last year. From what I heard from my dealer, the early maseratis had lots of electrical problems. So far, my QP has been great. The build quality of th 07's are very good and I would match the interior quality and aesthetics to anything in the market. Anytime you ask for opinions on exotics, the people who tend to post are the one's who have gotten lemons- only natural. I have have heard many nightmare stories about Bentley's but that doesn't necessarily mean I would not get one. Maybe I am lucky but all of my exotics have given me less problems than my BMW's and Audi's. My QP could be a nightmare too but only time will tell.

As for others comments on the handling and transmission, I would say that the QP is the best handling large sedan that I have driven and I have driven most of them. I don't think my opinion is unique either if you check out the car mag reviews. The auto is a a ZF and it is awesome. Other than my DB9, it is the best auto transmission I have driven, especailly in sport mode. I do not car for the duo select which is one of the reasons I waited for 2007. It just doesn't fit the spirit of a large sedan and it doesn't rank high amonst the various F1 transmissions I have driven.

Finally, I would say that the QP and any Bentley are two entirely different cars. The Bentley is a cruiser with brutish acceleration. The sytling is very forward. The QP is a far more nimble handling car and is only middle of the road in terms of power and it's beauty is more subtle. EVO compares the QP to Katie Holmes. You can walk right by her and not notice her but if you look at her for a while, she is beautiful.

Last edited by jjparkusa; 04-24-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by jjparkusa
I thought about a QP for a long time and finally got an 07 sport gt auto last year. From what I heard from my dealer, the early maseratis had lots of electrical problems. So far, my QP has been great. The build quality of th 07's are very good and I would match the interior quality and aesthetics to anything in the market. Anytime you ask for opinions on exotics, the people who tend to post are the one's who have gotten lemons- only natural. I have have heard many nightmare stories about Bentley's but that doesn't necessarily mean I would not get one. Maybe I am lucky but all of my exotics have given me less problems than my BMW's and Audi's. My QP could be a nightmare too but only time will tell.

As for others comments on the handling and transmission, I would say that the QP is the best handling large sedan that I have driven and I have driven most of them. I don't think my opinion is unique either if you check out the car mag reviews. The auto is a a ZF and it is awesome. Other than my DB9, it is the best auto transmission I have driven, especailly in sport mode. I do not car for the duo select which is one of the reasons I waited for 2007. It just doesn't fit the spirit of a large sedan and it doesn't rank high amonst the various F1 transmissions I have driven.

Finally, I would say that the QP and any Bentley are two entirely different cars. The Bentley is a cruiser with brutish acceleration. The sytling is very forward. The QP is a far more nimble handling car and is only middle of the road in terms of power and it's beauty is more subtle. EVO compares the QP to Katie Holmes. You can walk right by her and not notice her but if you look at her for a while, she is beautiful.
thanks for the quick input....so the transmission is good now? Not jerky like others have stated? Also, what type of service costs have you had, if any since taking ownership? Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:13 AM
thanks for the quick input....so the transmission is good now? Not jerky like others have stated? Also, what type of service costs have you had, if any since taking ownership? Thanks again!
There are two transmssions from 07. You need to be careful because both are often referred to as "automatics". The Duo Select, an F1 style tranmission, is too "jerky" in my opinion. The true automatic (torque converter) is wonderful. There are not too many of those around though.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
yeah, I saw that the true automatic tranny was coming out and that would solve the jerkiness of the F1 if its a daily driver (as mine would be come.) But do you lose any of the get up and go in the auto? For those rare times I want to step on it (which would be few and far between in the traffic here in the bay area.)

Also, any comment on the service costs?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
The auto is about as crisp as I've driven but I am sure that there some power loss compared to the F1. I haven't come up on first year maintenance yet.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 PM
yeah, I saw that the true automatic tranny was coming out and that would solve the jerkiness of the F1 if its a daily driver (as mine would be come.) But do you lose any of the get up and go in the auto? For those rare times I want to step on it (which would be few and far between in the traffic here in the bay area.)

Also, any comment on the service costs?
I drove the new Gran Turismo and felt that auto tranny was very responsive.

Nothing to lose there?

Same one in my 530i and CL500. Great gear box!