BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

550i or 335i coupe? Help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Reve1 is on a distinguished road
550i or 335i coupe? Help.

I have been checking out this forum for sometime like so many other forums, but sitting on the sideline and reading members comments made me gain respect for people here, so I sick your advice.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on 550i (2006) or 335i (2007) coupe. FYI, I will only buy used CPO cars, the prices for both vehicles are in the $40K range.

I'm single and do not need four doors, but I'm also getting older and feel 335i is a young man's car at least where I live!

I will keep the car for about a year and half and replace it with a used E92, M3 at that time. I will never be too old for a real sports car like that!

I think the 550i is a bigger bang for the buck but will depreciate faster and be harder to sell as well. I've driven both cars and tend to enjoy the 335 more. What do you suggest?

Thank you,
Sam

Old 03-28-2008, 07:33 PM
uncle_el is on a distinguished road
you enjoy the 335 more. a 3 series.
you eventually want an m3... a 3 series.

sounds like you want a 3 series, but think that you're supposed to be in a 5 series because of your age.

i suggest getting the car you want and enjoy... the 3 series.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:03 PM
epbrown01 is on a distinguished road
I'm closing in on 50 and my daily driver is an M Coupe, so buy the 335i content with the knowledge that compared to some you're in a cushy old man's car.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
get the 335...chip it and youll have 400 hp and 400 tq (crank power) and it will put a smile on you face each time u drive it.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
What timing. I am turning 40 tomorrow and I own a 335. I have owned a CaymanS, a Porsche 996tt and an '07 Z06 in the past 18 months and I must say -- I love the 335 immensely and don't give a rat's *** what I "should" be driving given my age and life status. Its a damn fun car to drive. I suggest you get what "moves" you the most.

I know what you mean about "what I should be driving" this and that. I really do. Having said that, I may replace my 335 with an M5 in the next 18 months. I am contemplating an M5 only because from time to time I have clients to "cart around" and it just seems more logical to have a 4 door. My wife has the SUV and I am not going to own two SUV's so the M5 makes a ton of sense to me as the next purchase.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 PM
aus
aus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud ofaus has much to be proud of
What about a new 135? Otherwise get a 335. The sedan is pretty big and about the size of the E39 5 series.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 AM
yeeeeee is on a distinguished road
535i ?

Old 03-29-2008, 12:38 AM
aznronin is a jewel in the roughaznronin is a jewel in the roughaznronin is a jewel in the rough
I drive an e60 M5 but if i had to choose between a 550 or a 335i i would go 335i. with a few mods you can have a real beast on your hands and lots of fun too. the 550 will make you wish you had gotten an M5 and the 335 wont make you feel as old.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Thank you for the replies guys, it sems like everyone is leaning towards the 335. It does seem like the obvious choice, in terms being a more balanced car and manual tranny.

My new job forces me to commute, highway traffic that we all hate, that's were the thought of 550 became more attractive.

Going to check out a full loaded 550i now, can't find any 335i in South FL with the options that I want, basically a loaded car and reasonably priced.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
I'll play devils advocate here and push the 550i purchase because that car isn't getting the credit it deserves. I personally love BMW's current 5 series lineup, and I think the 550i is a great car. Well equipped (Premium, Sport, NAV, etc.) it makes a great all around car, for highway cruising, being stuck in traffic, and racing around. It's a very comfortable car, which given your commute would be key. If I was forced to commute in traffic everyday and was looking at a sedan, the 550i would be on my list, no doubt. I like some size in a car, and the V8 grunt and amenities are had to ignore.

On a side note, I checked the the new 135i yesterday. Alpine White on Coral Red, this one was loaded to the gils. It looked great and more aggressive than I imagined, and I was impressed the the interior quality. I'd consider a 135i right along with a 335ci if I were you.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
I drove both of these cars this weekend (BMW Ultimate Drive is awesome!). I drove them at a cruise and took both from 60-120. I must say the 335 was my favorite of any of the cars that I drove (335, 335 conv., 535, 550, z4, x5 4.8). The 335 was a little tighter on the interior than I would have imagined, but the car handled so much better than I thought it would. For a commute the comfort of the 550 would be hard to ignore and it had some really trick features. With the 550 though the one thing that it could not hide was the overall mass and size. It felt and handled like a big car would (it is a big car but some of them can just hide it better). They both piled on the speed very quickly and handled well, but the 335 just seemed much more impressive. Please keep us posted on which one you decide on.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:44 AM
luckyman#9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by yeeeeee
535i ?
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
get the 335...chip it and youll have 400 hp and 400 tq (crank power) and it will put a smile on you face each time u drive it.
Combine the two suggestions and get a 535 with 400hp/400tq. More power and better gas milleage than a 550.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Went to see an 06 - 550 yesterday. FULLY LOADED, 19K mi, white with aero pkg! a steal in my opinion at $38,500. The car's original sticker; nearly $70K.....and cheaper than any equally optioned 335 coupe I've seen!!!

Anyway I went for it, but they couldn't get the payoff on my car so I left without her. Funny enough I'm still debating the decision in my head, another one of life's real difficult decisions

I agree that the 5 has more mass and is not as nimble as the 3 series, if I lived in an area with a lot of twisties choosing a 335 would be a lot easier. But I happen to live in Florida; flat, no turns and almost nothing but highways

Plus, I honestly think the 550i for whatever reason is a over-looked by most people. IMO, aftyer driving both cars; the 5 with sports suspension will have no difficulties in keeping up with the smaller 3 even in turns, of course, not mountain style tight turns. The problem (if you can call it that) with refined cars is that they make going fast effortless, therefore less thrilling. Finally, In terms of getting a bang for your buck it's a no brainer. The car is cheaper than a used 335 coupe, a car that has sticker of nearly $20 grand less new!!!

But guess what guys, it ain't over till it's over and so far it's still not in my garage and the thought of 335 coupe still not out of my head.

Sorry about these long posts.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by luckyman#9
Combine the two suggestions and get a 535 with 400hp/400tq. More power and better gas milleage than a 550.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Throw some nice DPE LS5's on it....that would be a damn nice setup.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:11 PM
M5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of lightM5Kid is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Throw some nice DPE LS5's on it....that would be a damn nice setup.
Yeah, a 535xi with software is a killer setup, agreed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 550i or 335i coupe? Help.