BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Project: AW///M3 - My Photo Buildup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:02 AM
1036E90M is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Project: AW///M3 - My Photo Buildup

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2010 E90 M3 AW on black interior. Went with the DCT tranny, all options except cold weather. Heated seats keep the wifey happy up in these hills . Not a first timer in a 3-Series...since they've always been great cars. And of course, I've also still got a bright red AP2 in the stable that will always catch my eye.

Just a bit about myself. I'm a 24/7 full-time photographer amongst other things so I figured I'd start a photo adventure of the build-up. I'm going full steam with this project in hopes to make it for MFest and WILL take the plunge on modding, so this should be fun. You'll catch me mainly running around the Diamond Bar / Pomona area so if there are any meets maybe I can catch one before the event?

Anyways, enjoy! BTW...I also happened to pick up an Akrapovic Evolution based on the quality and reviews I've seen, but I do have comments about the sound/increased power output. Pictures and review to follow.

Andrew

***building the photos, bear with me***

~~~Modlist~~~

Currently Installed:
-Akrapovic Evolution Full Ti - 5/5 Service from Pyspeed Eric!

Planned (way too many to list):
3/2/09 - thinking of suspension mods... spacers and some type of drop are most likely next.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:03 AM
Akrapovic Evolution Install (Part 1)

So after the initial break-in period, it was time to actually mount up the Akrapovic and do a little comparo at the muffler shop. If you're near the OC area and need a reputable install shop, my buddies at OC Muffler are more than well equipped to handle the install, ask for Mike. I also knew that they would be alright with me documenting the process and completely didn't mind taking quick photo breaks. Ask for Mike and as always, they're customer service is top-notch...and an install without any hiccups is easily less than $200.

Pictures:

-Stock, before going under the knife...

-Some serious muffler craftsmanship

-Full Ti Akrapovic system laid out

-Final words, final views...

-The signature Akrapovic tips we're all big fans of

-At some points there were times I knew the weight of the stock exhaust had to suck on the removal part.

-Probably the cleanest I'll ever get to see her undercarriage!

-And all of a sudden that much easier to hold up during installation

-Akra tip placement

-Thanks again to Mike for his patience on the tip placement.

-Full Akra Evolution in its entireity.

-Another final angle at it..

Overall the exhaust install experience went quick and painless. Took about an hour and a half since I went on a weekday (possibly a bit more with my picture-taking interruptions). I've had the system on for a few hundred miles and I'll definitely throw my input and review out there next.

I do want to give special thanks to Pyspeed/Eric for working with me on an an the entire Akra system. :thumbsup: I even had it in the bag before I picked up the M and he was helpful every step of the way about providing pics, reviews, etc. I'll throw this in real quick though... the "drone" that people say isn't there, well it's there alright, but manageable compared to some of the vids I've studied. A more detailed review to follow.

And also, thanks Mike at OCMuffler! Sometimes it's worth the drive out for peace of mind during an install especially while I'm documenting...great customer service just can't be beat!

NOTE: It's my first time on 6Speed but yes, I did read the photography rules, I'm just here to share my photostory

Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Welcome, congrats on the M.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Porsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the roughPorsche119 is a jewel in the rough
Please post some videos. I am considering the same system.
Do you pass emissions with it?
Any lights go off?
Does it void warranty on the car?
Thanks
D

Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by RFFG
Welcome, congrats on the M.
Thanks . It's nice to finally document another build!

Originally Posted by Porsche119
Please post some videos. I am considering the same system.
Do you pass emissions with it?
Any lights go off?
Does it void warranty on the car?
Thanks
D
I've got those coming up! I have a review of my experience with it too, hopefully it helps you in making a decision.
1) I hope so, looks OEM enough!
2) Not...yet....
3) In my experience it's how friendly and 'generous' you are to your SA!

Will be posting that Akra review soon!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Akrapovic Evolution (Ti) Review:

Warning: this is going to look like Ca$hOnly's type of Akra review because I liked the way he laid it out .

Purchased:
Again, the guys at PySpeed got me hooked even before the delivery of the vehicle. Eric's been nothing but a pleasure to deal with! I had a huge itch once the break-in period was comfortably over! Will likely purchase from these guys again in the future.

Quality:

At first viewing, I had to convince myself that something 'aftermarket' can actually come this...beautiful. It's truly an experience to see and feel the exhaust even though I've read countless many stories and threads about it. It was a toss up between the Gintani and Meisterschaft's which would have saved a CHUNK of change, but you only live once? And it's just that damn clean looking. I have personally never seen anything better built in an exhaust system.

Sound / Drone:

I've actually heard a Meisterschaft GT in person and while it's awesomely obnoxious, it's quite a bit much in RESONANCE for me... it's literally ear-drum shattering at times, believe me, I like that it's over the top, but this M has to be a bit tame more often than not.

But the Akra is a perfect balance of in-car and out-of-car noise, picks up in a great tone when WOT, and quiets down to civilization (to almost silence) at cruising speeds. I have to mention though, all reviews mentioning "no drone" are in my experience false...there's a good 'drone' alright, but it's in the low MPH area even when trying to be easy... until you pass 2-3KRPM and/or 1st gear, then any drone remaining eases up to easy listening.

Now at WOT or when revving, something's there alright, but in a sort of natural ramp of volume. Something's mean and the V8 sound is obvious, which is perfect. Growl when you want it and never when you don't.

Driving / "The Butt Dyno"
I think the moment the Akra was bolted on I noticed the car just shifting easier into the next gear and really not just due to an eager lead foot! There's a certain 'breathing' difference in smooth power delivery. Its almost expected from the Akra build quality though, but you can most definitely feel it, especially from 3-5K rpms... just more grunt. The car just wants to get up and go . There are enough of us out there now anyway .

Videos:
Yes, I have exhaust videos of right when the system was bolted on and I'll likely host them on VIMEO or YouTube when they've been reduced to something smaller than 170mb each!!

Hope this review helps in exhaust system choice, not saying everyone should go out and Akra themselves, but I think small contributions like these help everyone who's on the fence about their wants/needs.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
When are the videos going up?

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
Andrew how much weight did you save? Also if I may ask what was the price of the entire exhaust system?
It looks clean and sleek.
Looking forward to the video.

Ranger

Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM
alpinm3 is on a distinguished road
Looks Good. Need some vids!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Akrapovic Evolution Install (Part 3) - Videos!

Originally Posted by alpinm3
Looks Good. Need some vids!
Not quite sure how 6Speed posts youtube vids...but in any case, check my channel out, it's got the sound clips .

http://www.youtube.com/user/1036E90M

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 03-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Small Updates, Performance Grills and Sidemarkers

Performance grills got here, thanks Evan @ Tischer BMW .

The big before and afters...

-Not digging the chrome so much...are you guys?

-Much better frontal upgrade. Wasn't too bad to DIY, btw... took less than 20 minutes to pop in and out and all I needed was a flathead and some good squeezing techniques .

Fitment is superb (no surprises) and quality is excellent. Ordered some sidemarkers from iND for $75 shipped (thanks Andrew@iND) but they're expected to arrive tomorrow ... Getting a drop for my next big mod after the reflectors!

Andy

Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 AM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Subscribed.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:35 AM
HiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond reputeHiProfile Robs has a reputation beyond repute
Love it!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by NewSong
Subscribed.
Originally Posted by HiProfile Robs
Love it!
Thanks guys

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Well, we're getting there...

Alright guys, the iND painted reflectors finally came in . Was seriously looking to get rid of the orange reflectors so here we go:

-Thanks Andrew@iND!

Definitely loving the clean look here, do have a couple notes...but of course nothing to really write home about.

The painted markers are a 99.5% perfect fit, they did seem to lift up a bit on the inner corners on both sides of the car, they're an OEM part though so my guess is that they just need to be on the ride to settle in. I'm extremely happy though and feel that they're a definite MUST to have.

AND...the big parts that got here earlier than expected! Teasers...because I'm not slapping them on until I get a drop which is also coming soon.

-Thanks Eric@PySpeed!... for convincing me over last weekend to just have a quick wheel and tire package. I'm surprised these actually came this fast...kinda begs me to get this girl lowered!

-And yes, running on Yokohama Advan's AD-08s and Alufelgen SF-71s Matte Blacks! I'm happy that the wheel and tires (for now..) provided came with TPMS as well.

Specs: 245/35/19F, 275/30/19R

Cheers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Project: AW///M3 - My Photo Buildup