BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Going from 911 S to '11 M3 6sp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by getz
Do you recall the money factor as well as how much they required as a cap reduction for those terms?
lease worksheet shows....39550 residual (56%) and money factor?? has rate as .00155

Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM
slicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by crackberry005
i dont own an m3, but i have spent a LOT of time researching that particular car.

in terms of fit and finish, you will take a huge step down. there are rattles when you drive fast in an m3. i heard that there maybe rattles on the porsche 911, but its worst on a m3.
This has not been my experience with my M3 or any BMW in general. I have actually experienced the opposite in the rattle dept. I have a 10 year old X5 with 125k miles with zero rattles.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:20 PM
HPFMTRE will become famous soon enoughHPFMTRE will become famous soon enough
I would say that definitely fits what your looking for. M3 can be a great daily driver the E92 is definitely one of my favorite cars around today. To the comment above me my E46 seems to make a lot of random noises but nothing to worry about.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 AM
DRLC6 is on a distinguished road
I went from my 09 997.2 to a new 650 I know it is not an M3 but I am very very pleased with the BMW. Actually more so than my 997.2.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:37 AM
BlackTTCab will become famous soon enoughBlackTTCab will become famous soon enough
23k miles in an e92 M3...no rattles.

9k in .1 turbo...also no rattles lol

M3 is much more practical, more comfortable, more cargo room.

The turbo has an exhaust so they both sound awesome.

I disagree with the leather statement. The M3 has very nice leather, so does the porsche. I wouldnt say "bottom of the barrel" though.

Honestly if you need more practicality while not needing it to be your go-to winter car you wont get much better than an M3, a C63, an S4, or CTS-V.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
You said they had an m6? Do it...haha.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 PM
crackberry005 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by slicer
This has not been my experience with my M3 or any BMW in general. I have actually experienced the opposite in the rattle dept. I have a 10 year old X5 with 125k miles with zero rattles.
rattles on the m3 has been well documented. im glad your bimmers dont have rattles, but many have complained about rattles in the m3. please dont shot the messanger

Originally Posted by BlackTTCab
I disagree with the leather statement. The M3 has very nice leather, so does the porsche. I wouldnt say "bottom of the barrel" though.
i think you missread what i wrote.
highest quality of leather on bmw = lowest level on pcars
they are comparable

Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM
slicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to beholdslicer is a splendid one to behold
rattles on the m3 has been well documented. im glad your bimmers dont have rattles, but many have complained about rattles in the m3. please dont shot the messanger
I'm curious as to where this is documented. I am on M3post almost too often and have not seen any threads on rattling in an E9x M3.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:19 AM
crackberry005 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by slicer
I'm curious as to where this is documented. I am on M3post almost too often and have not seen any threads on rattling in an E9x M3.
i sent you a pm slicer.

if anyone else is interested, pm me and ill shot you the links. just trying to be helpful and expedite your research/collecting data process. dont shot the messanger.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
I think you will be disappointed going from a 997.2 C2S to an M3. I heavily shopped an M3 after selling my 997.1 911 Turbo and couldn't get the P-car driving experience out of my head. I ended up getting an 05 C2S instead, despite the dated PCM rather than the M3. For practicality reasons the M3 wins by default of a much larger rear seat and the option of a sedan, however between the two I found the Porsche to be much more engaging to drive.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by getz
I think you will be disappointed going from a 997.2 C2S to an M3. I heavily shopped an M3 after selling my 997.1 911 Turbo and couldn't get the P-car driving experience out of my head. I ended up getting an 05 C2S instead, despite the dated PCM rather than the M3. For practicality reasons the M3 wins by default of a much larger rear seat and the option of a sedan, however between the two I found the Porsche to be much more engaging to drive.
Not to mention your other past 'charged rides...

Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sechsgang
Not to mention your other past 'charged rides...
I have owned M cars, and don't get me wrong they are brilliant. I had a 2007 M Coupe which I loved and a 2003 M3, however there is certainly a reason that the Pcars carry a significant premium as well as hold their resale value better. They are a step up in feel, and dynamics and provide a much more visceral experience. My 07 M Coupe was perhaps the rawest of the M cars to be made for a long time but it is light years behind the 911. Just hearing that burbling crackling flat 6 behind your back is a such a pleasurable experience in its own right along with the quirky rear engined driving dynamics, that once bitten you may attempt to break free of the allure.......... but the sirens call is strong.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:30 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I went through a debate before I bought my last 911. I test drove a brand new version of the latest M3 coupe and convertible versus a few 911's. I wasn't looking at a naturally aspirated 911's though which makes a huge difference. It wasn't a contest at the end of the day, especially having had a 911 AWD before. And the altitude here in CO made the NA M3 a dog. The 335 coupe felt as fast or faster.

Now I drive a 911 Turbo and I don't know if I'll ever go with an M3 after owning a couple of them. They just destroy an M3 in power too easily.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:11 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I went through a debate before I bought my last 911. I test drove a brand new version of the latest M3 coupe and convertible versus a few 911's. I wasn't looking at a naturally aspirated 911's though which makes a huge difference. It wasn't a contest at the end of the day, especially having had a 911 AWD before. And the altitude here in CO made the NA M3 a dog. The 335 coupe felt as fast or faster.

Now I drive a 911 Turbo and I don't know if I'll ever go with an M3 after owning a couple of them. They just destroy an M3 in power too easily.

Well fellas' thinking of going in an all new direction. Saw a white/oyster 550i M package (nice lookining car) ..for an unreal price...looks like the winner!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:16 PM
imolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of lightimolazhp_ci is a glorious beacon of light
i dont own an m3, but i have spent a LOT of time researching that particular car.

in terms of fit and finish, you will take a huge step down. there are rattles when you drive fast in an m3. i heard that there maybe rattles on the porsche 911, but its worst on a m3. the highest grade of leather that they use on the m3 (novio leather) is comparable to the bottom of the barrel on p cars.

the m3 def sounds like it fits the bill. it can sit 4 grown adults, and is a great comprimise between sport and luxury. emphasis on the comprimise, as the m3 will not handle nearly as well as you c2s or be as fast. it is the last proper s engine built by ///m as they begin to move to turbos....which is what ///m is not about. but, def get zcp (comp package).

also, there are ///m specific colors that are reserved specifically for ///m cars. it helps differentiate your car from the common 328. id suggest you check out:
silverstone (MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE)
interlagos blue
jerez black
melbourne red

good luck. oh, and make sure you pay no more than 500 over invoice. m3s go for cheap with the looming release of the f3x redesign.
for someone who has spent "a LOT of time researching" you don't know very much at all. and you're making pretty bold claims for someone who hasn't driven them. as someone who has driven both countless times, and owned very similar models, the rattles are exactly the same on both cars. they come and go and they are few and far between. most rattles on these cars are a result of frameless windows. also, the M3 leather used is called "Novillo Leather", not Novio leather. and Novillo isn't any type of leather, it's just what BMW calls it. it's actually Nappa Leather which is quite high quality for automotive leather.

the M3 will likely fit your bill. straight line performance won't be noticeably slower, and day to day the handling will be comparable.... it will feel softer though, and will be slower around a track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going from 911 S to '11 M3 6sp