BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Buying 2007 M6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:50 PM
ngoldrich is on a distinguished road
Buying 2007 M6

Hi all,

First I have to admin I have always been a Porsche Twin Turbo owner and fanatic.

But that being said, I am overseas about 4 months a year all over Europe and Australia.

So every 6 weeks I have been running a BMW race car on the Nurburgring - about 400 kms per day. And I was extremely impressed with the BMW handling.

One of my very good friends had a 2002 M5 and now has a 2006 M5 V10 with SMG and loves it.

So I have been going back and forth between getting a 997 GT3 (yeah I know its normally aspirated - which is on order) or a 2007 M6; and I am leaning towards the M6 since I already have a 824HP GT2 all carbon full blown GT1 road race car...

But enough with the babbling -

My question is, I just test drove a 2006 M6 SMG and it shifted extremely slowly - as in a 1.5-2 second delay between shifts. Now before you ask, my friend who owns the new M5 was in the car and we set it to the fastest shift mode even tried TC on and off and had the M-button set of max power, etc...

He said it shifted quite a bit slower than his M5.

But the question is - does the M5/M6 have an electronic control that forces the slow shifts until you are out of the 1200 mile break-in period?

Also, the steering was actually harder to turn than my racecar which was a surprise.

These are not complaints because I love the look of the car and the engine. I just want to know what I am in for.

I am the first on the dealers list to order the 2007 M6. I am planning on white with soft leather (whatever that is called), plus all the options including carbon interior...

The replies here will help me decide if I go with SMG or MT.

I had heard that these SMG's can bang through the gears but that was not what I experienced. It almost felt like turbo lag....

Thanks for your input,
Norm

Old 09-26-2006, 03:56 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Hi all,

First I have to admin I have always been a Porsche Twin Turbo owner and fanatic.

But that being said, I am overseas about 4 months a year all over Europe and Australia.

So every 6 weeks I have been running a BMW race car on the Nurburgring - about 400 kms per day. And I was extremely impressed with the BMW handling.

One of my very good friends had a 2002 M5 and now has a 2006 M5 V10 with SMG and loves it.

So I have been going back and forth between getting a 997 GT3 (yeah I know its normally aspirated - which is on order) or a 2007 M6; and I am leaning towards the M6 since I already have a 824HP GT2 all carbon full blown GT1 road race car...

But enough with the babbling -

My question is, I just test drove a 2006 M6 SMG and it shifted extremely slowly - as in a 1.5-2 second delay between shifts. Now before you ask, my friend who owns the new M5 was in the car and we set it to the fastest shift mode even tried TC on and off and had the M-button set of max power, etc...

He said it shifted quite a bit slower than his M5.

But the question is - does the M5/M6 have an electronic control that forces the slow shifts until you are out of the 1200 mile break-in period?

Also, the steering was actually harder to turn than my racecar which was a surprise.

These are not complaints because I love the look of the car and the engine. I just want to know what I am in for.

I am the first on the dealers list to order the 2007 M6. I am planning on white with soft leather (whatever that is called), plus all the options including carbon interior...

The replies here will help me decide if I go with SMG or MT.

I had heard that these SMG's can bang through the gears but that was not what I experienced. It almost felt like turbo lag....

Thanks for your input,
Norm
Im going to go completely in the other direction here. BUY THE GT3. the m6 is not good looking AT ALL IMO, and the GT3 motor is just more fun and will def handle better. the m6 is a gt car, not a sports car. if you want a sports car that rides gt like, then buy a 997TT, much better than a m6 anyday. thats how i feel, but id stick with a 911.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:58 PM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
I think you should drive another when it gets out of break-in/has quite a few miles.

Do you have any pictures of your other cars? They sound amazing.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:08 PM
O4 GT3
Vader13 has a spectacular aura aboutVader13 has a spectacular aura about
GT3!!! are you kidding?? or what?????

Old 09-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Guys,

Sorry I did not clarify, I am looking for a fun, fast, cool car that handles well on the street.

I have plenty of racecars - so I do not need to take this one on the track.

That being the case would you really not consider the M6?

I do have some pics of the racecars I will try and post tomorrow...

Thanks,
Norm

Last edited by ngoldrich; 09-26-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:02 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Guys,

Sorry I did not clarify, I am looking for a fun, fast, cool car that handles well on the street.

I have plenty of racecars - so I do not need to take this one on the track.

That being the case would you really not consider the M6?

I do have some pics of the racecars I will try and post tomorrow...

Thanks,
Norm
then buy an RS4 or a Cayenne TT.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
I already have a nice SUV.

I did think about the RS4 and like a lot of things about it, but that seems to be closer to the M3 class (albeit better in performance) but not at the M6 level in stature.

But a goo dpoint nonetheless, I wonder how the new s6/s8 would stack up against the M6... They have detined lambo V10's in them...

Norm

Old 09-26-2006, 05:32 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Ok seems like you would like to go with the M6 which is a very very nice an brilliant car! But I'd suggest the M5 cause...
1) it's smaller
2) has the same engine
3) looks better than the M6.
I know the SMG III is such a great transmission ( I don't know about the problem with the one you tested out ) but I'd keep the MT every day of my life just for the fact you can feel much more control.

Oh yeah...if you don't want to buy the GT3

Old 09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future

No. It may or may not lock out S6, but that doesn't account for what you say you experienced. It'll bang home full throttle redline shifts faster and more violently than you can imagine. There is something wrong with the steering.

824HP GT2 all carbon full blown GT1 road race car...
Post pics of this car.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by jamie
No. It may or may not lock out S6, but that doesn't account for what you say you experienced. It'll bang home full throttle redline shifts faster and more violently than you can imagine. There is something wrong with the steering.

Post pics of this car.
Yea lets see the GT2!

Old 09-26-2006, 10:32 PM
jay_ftw will become famous soon enough
Definitely something not right about the M6 you drove-

SMGIII is supposedly faster than Ferrari's F1 system.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned
FERRAR1 is on a distinguished road
IMO i like the M6. Drove it, handles well. great all around car.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I will drive my friends new M5 which is through the break in period...

I just tried uploading pics but I get there error msg that says:
There seems to have been a problem with the 6speedonline.com Forums database.
Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.
We apologise for any inconvenience.

I received this when I clicked manage attachments, browsed to the .jpg and clicked upload...

I will also post some pics of my old GTP car, Can -AM, and Old Aurora GTS/TA car as soon as I can upload them...

Norm

Old 09-27-2006, 08:40 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Keep trying. That error message comes and goes lately. Or host them somewhere.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 AM
I still cant upload pics - I have tried about 10 times during the am...

Norm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying 2007 M6