BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Fun comparision, 335i vs. 997

Old 12-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Raz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
i agree with you. the 911 is much more pure in what it does. for the money, the 335i offers good performance tho. i still think the new g35 sedan and soon the coupe will be the cars to beat. the g35 sedan is already said to be better and faster than the is350, and would imagine its close to the 335i stock. i happen to like the g35 looks a lot more, but thats a whole different conversation.
I'll be looking out for the G35 coupe as well. SHould be a big improvement over the current car. My only concern is that the new G35 will also become the "Me too" car. "You have a G35?".."Me too!!"

I got a ride in the 335i and it felt impressive power wise, but I don't think it will bring the smile to your face like the E46 M3 does. The E46 is a great all round Sports GT. The 335 is more on the luxo, sport side. Just different focus.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Raz5219
I'll be looking out for the G35 coupe as well. SHould be a big improvement over the current car. My only concern is that the new G35 will also become the "Me too" car. "You have a G35?".."Me too!!"

I got a ride in the 335i and it felt impressive power wise, but I don't think it will bring the smile to your face like the E46 M3 does. The E46 is a great all round Sports GT. The 335 is more on the luxo, sport side. Just different focus.
i agree. the new g35 sedan has run a 13.5@105 IIRC and the coupe should be even faster so maybe low 13s and thats nice. its going to be much better looking than the new e92 m3 if all the photos ive seen of both are correct or even close. the e46 is the classic m3. none before and prob none after it will look as good. the thing about the g35 is, they will continue to improve little things and just get better and better. while the new m3 has a lot of power, you get added weight, a horribly ugly car and for the price, maybe 10K more will get you into a 911 which is the better option. the g35 fully loaded will still only run you about 40K. talk about a bargain for the performance.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Banned
MabF355 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
i agree. the new g35 sedan has run a 13.5@105 IIRC and the coupe should be even faster so maybe low 13s and thats nice. its going to be much better looking than the new e92 m3 if all the photos ive seen of both are correct or even close. the e46 is the classic m3. none before and prob none after it will look as good. the thing about the g35 is, they will continue to improve little things and just get better and better. while the new m3 has a lot of power, you get added weight, a horribly ugly car and for the price, maybe 10K more will get you into a 911 which is the better option. the g35 fully loaded will still only run you about 40K. talk about a bargain for the performance.
Well said. The new G35 is going to continue what it has done so well thus far. It is a great value in a luxury performance sedan and the same for the coupe. It is by no means a true sports car, but thats not Infiniti's approach here. It is a car for the masses and an unreal value. I think it is real cool that the big name companys are making common cars into real performers.
As far as the new M3 goes, I predict it will be a better performer then the M5 or M6. If BMW wants to at all justify the price of the new car, they are going to have to step on their own feet a bit. I am sure when all is said and done the M3 will be in basic 911 territory price wise and that just scares me. If BMW were smart, they would go back to the drawing board. Sometimes, more power isn't what makes the car great (thats what Mercedes does) but finding that equilibrium between straight line performance and turning performance is what makes spending $75,000 on a sports car worth it in my opinion. Then again, isn't that what a 911 is?
-Marc

Old 12-21-2006, 02:43 AM
6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about6088TTS has a spectacular aura about
don't really care which one is faster... there is no comparison between a boy racer 335i which costs half of the LEGENDARY 911... PERIOD

Alan

Old 12-21-2006, 12:12 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
New G35 running mid 13's, sorry i dont believe it! Ive been in supercharged, turbo'd, sedan and coupe, full bolt on G35's and driven them all, and they were all quick but had such a default of up top power , meaning over 120 they hardly pull!

My bone stock M3 when i first got it pulled 2 supercharged G35 coupes, it was a G35 group i started and was one of the FIRST members, so i knew them well

Bottom line is, i love my G35, hate how common its gotten but they are bulletproof, i de-modded mine and love it 100x more then i ever did, awesome car! But its not a sports car, and sedan is proven to be quicker then sedan because its lighter, less drag coeficcient and so on

Old 12-22-2006, 06:17 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
I agree with the person that said the next real competition is btw BMW and Infiniti...I really think infiniti has brought out a SUPERB product and with the value factor added in...maybe even a better one.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:36 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MabF355
Well said. The new G35 is going to continue what it has done so well thus far. It is a great value in a luxury performance sedan and the same for the coupe. It is by no means a true sports car, but thats not Infiniti's approach here. It is a car for the masses and an unreal value. I think it is real cool that the big name companys are making common cars into real performers.
As far as the new M3 goes, I predict it will be a better performer then the M5 or M6. If BMW wants to at all justify the price of the new car, they are going to have to step on their own feet a bit. I am sure when all is said and done the M3 will be in basic 911 territory price wise and that just scares me. If BMW were smart, they would go back to the drawing board. Sometimes, more power isn't what makes the car great (thats what Mercedes does) but finding that equilibrium between straight line performance and turning performance is what makes spending $75,000 on a sports car worth it in my opinion. Then again, isn't that what a 911 is?
-Marc
I agree with you. i think of it like this. Porsche said, we have a 315 hp 996 911 from 02-04 that ran a low 13@106-107. they went to the drawing board, got 10 more hp for the basic 911 and 40 more for the 997S. now the 997S yields 12.5-12.6@113-114 mph as we have seen. the 997 has run 12.8@110. now 10 and 40 hp doesnt seem like much but when you look at slalom and 1/4 mile, they are much faster. but again, porsche did not add much hp to either car. instead, the lowered the aerodynamics to .28 and.29 drag coefficient, which are some of the lowest on the market. they also cut out some weight. the made the gearing better. my point you ask, you dont need gobs of hp to make a car faster or better or greater. simple things that bmw and mercedes fail to realize would yield them better cars and faster better peforming cars. my guess(pure speculation) is that the new 418 hp m3 will run 12.6-12.8@110-111. thats gonna run with a base 997 and almost a 997S with more hp. but with that you are getting a more weight and thus a less nimble car, not to mention the banglized uglyness that the new m3 will entail. i think that making a car better has more to do with just saying, lets put a bigger motor in. Porsche has been using the flat 6 for 40+ years and still outdoes the competition to this day and will continue to do so. the 911 does everything perfect to a t, and not many others if any can say that.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by sechsgang
I agree with the person that said the next real competition is btw BMW and Infiniti...I really think infiniti has brought out a SUPERB product and with the value factor added in...maybe even a better one.
i agree with you. i wish the skyline gt-r were coming out under infiniti because for 70K, because thats going to be one hell of a car and will be a mod monster. infiniti has done a lot fo this right lately, while IMO bmw has done the complete opposite. i love the new m5, but the m6 and what the new m3 seems like its going to be, wont/dont impress me like the e46 m3 did.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:31 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
exactly...the infiniti has some real "wow" factor...the BMW is a car you have to kinda grow to like...that being said...the BMW has grown a bit...but not THAT much.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:21 PM
DavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud of
What am I missing here?

Old 12-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by DavidS
What am I missing here?

the 335 is an auto for one thing(even though in 5th gear but gear ratios may play a role), it has twin turbos which means it has more torque down low.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:03 PM
apparently...a 335i with AUTO clocked a 4.9...thats damn impressive...