BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

Fun comparision, 335i vs. 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:45 AM
PorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond reputePorscheFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Fun comparision, 335i vs. 997

(With the new 335i, BMW has released a smoking hot car for the road. We want to know how the car compares to the more expensive Porsche 911 Carrera. Is it worth paying more for the sports car from Stuttgart?)

(Both cars are equally match, performance wise. The Porsche mobilizes 325-horsepower from its 3.6-l Boxer 6-cylinder engine. The BMW, which weighs 103 kg more, produces 306-horsepower. 0-100 km/h takes place in 5.1 seconds for the Porsche, the BMW trails with an equally impressive 5.5 seconds. 0-200 km/h was measured as 18.2 seconds for the Porsche and 19.1 seconds for the BMW. Like we said, equally matched vehicles. Only during high-speed driving on the Autobahn does the BMW driver see the rear of the Porsche as it is limited to 250 km/h. The Porsche soldiers on until 285 km/h top speed.)

(The BMW engine has a nice sound to it. The magic behind the engine is the so-called "register charging", also called TWIN TURBO. Both turbos are set to operate at different times. This and their small size ensure that fuel economy is acceptable and that turbo-lag is erradicated.)

(The 335i impresses with responsive and eager performance. We didn't detect any turbo-lag or any turbo screams. At every RPM, the 335i responds to every little input. The fuel economy is also more than acceptable: 9.5 L / 100 km in this class and for such a car are amazing. The 911 also offers impressive performance. The seats are a little harder and offer more side support though. The BMW feels like the sporty everyday clothes you wear, while the Porsche feels like a trainings / jogging unform. Turn the ignition **** and the Porsche comes to life with that classic growl. The instruments are classic. We found the intruments of the BMW a tad boring compared to the Porsche's.)

(At higher speeds, the Porsche engine becomes louder and louder, but the music we hear is addicting. The BMW does a better job at exterior sound isolation, but the traditional screaming engines are all part of the Porsche experience. Roadtest: both cars handle well, but the Porsche suspension always reminds you what roads you're driving o as the driver feels every bump. The BMW suspension is more adept at filtering out the unwanted road conditions. Compared to the raw nature of the Porsche, the BMW feels like a luxury ride.)

(A price question: the difference in price between these two cars is a whooping 34,723 Euro's. If you value comfort, space and overall practicality, the BMW is the car to get. Those looking for the sporty and emotional aspect as well as a car from a line of legends are best served with the Porsche 911 Carrera.)

(Even though the BMW 335i is more than up to the task of rivaling the Porsche, true sports car fans will always go for the Porsche. And that's well-deserved for the Porsche as it is the better sports car. Those looking for an overall package of sport and some luxury and better value will find their car in the BMW.)

Price: 43.200 Euro / 77.923 Euro

Source: German autobild.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:06 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Hmm interesting, extremely slow times for the 335, or maybe its just that it was so hyped up by everyone else??

Both are nice either way, thanks for sharing, i'll take an E46 M3 anyday please over a 335

Old 12-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
wtf? is this really a comparison?

Old 12-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned
MabF355 is an unknown quantity at this point
The 335i is an incredible car considering its predecessor. I would certainly compare its straight-line performance to that of a base 997, but not a S. Those times are not the best we have seen for the 335i either. The 335i is defiantely a smoother car than the E46 M3, but in my opinion it lacks the driver feedback that makes the M3, the M3. I would chose a 335i as a daily driver over the M3. BMW hit the nail on the head with that car!
-Marc

Old 12-17-2006, 06:42 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Hmm interesting, extremely slow times for the 335, or maybe its just that it was so hyped up by everyone else??

Both are nice either way, thanks for sharing, i'll take an E46 M3 anyday please over a 335
It looks to me like they're qouting the factory qouted times...C/D tested the 335 to 60 in 4.8...as fast as M3...I drove one and was impressed...Its not go cart like the M3, but, speed wise, they felt the same to me

Lou

Old 12-17-2006, 07:04 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LSM
It looks to me like they're qouting the factory qouted times...C/D tested the 335 to 60 in 4.8...as fast as M3...I drove one and was impressed...Its not go cart like the M3, but, speed wise, they felt the same to me

Lou
Lou i agree man, the 335 needed alot of work suspension wise to have anywhere near the same feel as even a stock m3, M3 any day for me like i said, true drivers car!

335 didnt feel anywhere near as fast as an M3 to me also, BUT we did have 3 people in the car on the test drive and its probably very decieving power/performance wise, meaning you dont feel how fast it really is. Bottom line is, its an AWESOME car, so well rounded and on point IMO!

Old 12-17-2006, 07:32 PM
jwa
jwa will become famous soon enough
I've heard that the 335 doesn't drive that well, to restrictive

Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 PM
JNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jwa
I've heard that the 335 doesn't drive that well, to restrictive
they had to balance performance, luxury and comfort so that's why it felt restrictive, especially when compared to a p-car. However, the tunability is what makes this everyday car exciting.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:09 AM
acs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond reputeacs-3 has a reputation beyond repute
I love that blue color on the 335i, I think it's the best color for that car

Old 12-18-2006, 12:34 AM
mr2guy is on a distinguished road
I'll be getting my 335i coupe in about a week or so and I can't wait! Although I've never driven an E46 M3, it is my theory that overall tuning capacity is much greater with the 335i. Not only because it is factory turbocharged hence more inexpensively tuned for huge power, but the chassis "should" be a better platform for a track worthy vehicle. I'm sure the new E92 has been improved in overall stiffness over the E46 except that BMW goes with a more agressive spring and shock combo with its M car. Now put the stock equipment out of the picture and replace both cars suspensions with say KW variant 3 coilovers and adjust to suite a more performance driving style. I would bet that the E92 would then come into its own. The lack of limited slip on the 335i is a downside, BUT I am coming to the conclusion that it is not exactly as much of a downside as I once thought. I think the LSD really changes the driving characteristics and not the car's ability to be faster. Drivers that prefer a car to go from neutral to oversteer would most likely be as fast as a driver who prefers a car to transition towards slight understeer. If the E46 is the better track car even tuned, then I am still happy with my selection of vehicle, E92's just look so awesome to me.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Lou i agree man, the 335 needed alot of work suspension wise to have anywhere near the same feel as even a stock m3, M3 any day for me like i said, true drivers car!

335 didnt feel anywhere near as fast as an M3 to me also, BUT we did have 3 people in the car on the test drive and its probably very decieving power/performance wise, meaning you dont feel how fast it really is. Bottom line is, its an AWESOME car, so well rounded and on point IMO!
I was saying the 335 felt just as fast as an M3 to me......It obviously didn't handle as good, but, its not meant to be as narrowly focused as the M3....

Lou

Old 12-20-2006, 03:47 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
those are a little slow for the 911 too. ive seen the base 997 911 pull 4.6 0-60 and the 1/4 in 12.8@110 IIRC. this is much faster than the 335i(which is a cool car). 911 would be my obv choice as the 335i just isnt exciting to me. i would imagine the new m3 will be in the mid to high 12s range where the 911S is.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned
MabF355 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
those are a little slow for the 911 too. ive seen the base 997 911 pull 4.6 0-60 and the 1/4 in 12.8@110 IIRC. this is much faster than the 335i(which is a cool car). 911 would be my obv choice as the 335i just isnt exciting to me. i would imagine the new m3 will be in the mid to high 12s range where the 911S is.
I think what we really need to realize here is that comparing the 335i to the 997S is like comparing a Civic Si to a STI or EVO. While both the Civic Si and the EVO/STI are "performance oriented" cars, they offer performance in a different aspect. Same goes for the 335 and the 997. The 335 is still a 3 series at the end of the day and that is what makes it so remarkable. We all know the 911 should be the more capable, impressive car here. Thats why people buy Porsches. They are true sports cars! The 335 is simply a 3 Series designed to keep with the S4 and the IS350 which is does quite well now. BMW will still have the M3, and Audi has the RS4, and Lexus will soon have a IS500 all of which will offer 911 like performance. I think the initial comparison of the 335i vs. the 911 was just to show the 335i buyer that they are getting an inredible car. I highly doubt 997S drivers are contemplating a 335i instead...
-Marc

Old 12-20-2006, 05:09 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MabF355
I think what we really need to realize here is that comparing the 335i to the 997S is like comparing a Civic Si to a STI or EVO. While both the Civic Si and the EVO/STI are "performance oriented" cars, they offer performance in a different aspect. Same goes for the 335 and the 997. The 335 is still a 3 series at the end of the day and that is what makes it so remarkable. We all know the 911 should be the more capable, impressive car here. Thats why people buy Porsches. They are true sports cars! The 335 is simply a 3 Series designed to keep with the S4 and the IS350 which is does quite well now. BMW will still have the M3, and Audi has the RS4, and Lexus will soon have a IS500 all of which will offer 911 like performance. I think the initial comparison of the 335i vs. the 911 was just to show the 335i buyer that they are getting an inredible car. I highly doubt 997S drivers are contemplating a 335i instead...
-Marc
i agree with you. the 911 is much more pure in what it does. for the money, the 335i offers good performance tho. i still think the new g35 sedan and soon the coupe will be the cars to beat. the g35 sedan is already said to be better and faster than the is350, and would imagine its close to the 335i stock. i happen to like the g35 looks a lot more, but thats a whole different conversation.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:00 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
they make a nice pair in the garage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fun comparision, 335i vs. 997