BMW //M Discussion on the BMW M1, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, and the BMW M6

335I Gets New Wheels, Brakes, and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I love opinions, hence this post. Its funny to read purists though.

So if you think it looks like a civic... here are all the cars I have built or owned myself. I have had IForged on a RX8, Volks on Subarus, Advans on EVO's, and 22's on a Escalade. I have ran IForged on a 996C2. For the record if Volk had the CE28 available for the Porsche, I would run those too.

http://www.myvividracing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Old 05-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
RS-GTs???? No personality with those. Car is getting some work done right now, stay tuned.
I beg to differ:

Even on my Evo they rocked:

Old 05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
evilb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 996Yayo
but at the same time i never expected all opinions to fall at either one end of the spectrum or the other. i mean i can understand that even an enthusiast might find the look "unattractive." But as an enthusiast myself, there's something about the "form follows function" approach that makes this car attractive.

also, i wouldn't just throw me into a particular demographic based on the cars i own. i chose the Supra over Porsche and BMW. had i not found this diamond in the rough, i'd be driving either an e46 M3 or a 996 Carrera. i know Volk isn't a wheel brand you often see on Porsche's, but its a trend that's catching on. think about it - Neez and Work are both popular wheel brands with the Porsche crowd (and the euro crowd in general), and they are both manufactured in Japan. i guess i'm just trying to figure out if people genuinely don't like the look of TE37's, or if its just this particular car/wheel combination that people don't like, b/c i see alot of posters already who are jaded by the "rice" stigma. i mean lets face it, this car does not look like a Civic with BMW badges...it looks that way to someone b/c he/she is used to seeing these wheels on Japanese cars, not German cars. someone needs to break the mold, innovate, and mix it up a bit, just like Jedidiah said above.
Wasn't trying to stereotype you at all, but you have to admit that the Japanese culture is much, much different than the German/Euro culture. The types of modifications that follow are also completely different.

Generally speaking most people that want the lightest weight high quality and strong racing wheel will get Volks. That being said, the person wanting a lightweight racing vehicle doesn't normally buy a ~$50k BMW 335i. It's a completely different starting point for the modifications that have now been added to this car. Some might ask the question "Why?" because of this. If you want a lightweight race car, why start with a 335i?

And this has nothing to do with "rice." I wouldn't call this car rice, because it's not. In my first response to this thread, I stated that it's definitely a car that is purpose built, and isn't for the best looks of the bunch, but for the best FUNCTIONALITY of the modifications received.

That, and it's a great opportunity to bust the ***** of the owner of Vivid As he said, though, when the stuff is coming on for free, I would take all the criticism in the world as I looked at the positive numbers in my bank account.

No harm, no foul guys... just fun discussion. Best of luck with this car, and I'm sure it will be a beast when it's finished. Is it what I would personally do to a 335i? No. But I don't own it, so that doesn't really matter!

Take care,
Brad

Old 05-26-2007, 03:09 PM
evilb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by vividracing
I love opinions, hence this post. Its funny to read purists though.

So if you think it looks like a civic... here are all the cars I have built or owned myself. I have had IForged on a RX8, Volks on Subarus, Advans on EVO's, and 22's on a Escalade. I have ran IForged on a 996C2. For the record if Volk had the CE28 available for the Porsche, I would run those too.

http://www.myvividracing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151
Man... you're begging for my response on this one...

If you wanted "personality," why get Volk's that are on 3 bazillion cars? You could've gotten something a little more rare, like those incredibly nice looking Volk 5 spokes in a gunmetal finish with a polished lip (which probably won't be rare by the time you read this). Or, something completely custom that only your 335i would have had. I'm sure iForged would have made you something specifically for this car, considering you're most likely one of their largest volume dealers.

The real reason isn't personality, it's because it's a "gift" from Volk

B

Old 05-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Whenever they were on my cars, we were the first....

RSGT are just not my favorite. Here is a 993 we did with them -

Old 05-27-2007, 02:29 AM
996Yayo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by evilb
Wasn't trying to stereotype you at all, but you have to admit that the Japanese culture is much, much different than the German/Euro culture. The types of modifications that follow are also completely different.
no offense taken...i was just trying to make the point that i am as much a BMW/Porsche enthusiast as i am a Japanese automaker enthusiast, and b/c of that, it doesn't exactly put me in another demographic. regardless, i think the fact that i am as avid about Japanese cars as i am about euro cars explains why i don't mind a blend of european cars and Japanese parts, or vice versa...

Generally speaking most people that want the lightest weight high quality and strong racing wheel will get Volks. That being said, the person wanting a lightweight racing vehicle doesn't normally buy a ~$50k BMW 335i. It's a completely different starting point for the modifications that have now been added to this car. Some might ask the question "Why?" because of this. If you want a lightweight race car, why start with a 335i?
i completely agree that the 335i isn't the best place to start if you're looking for a light weight race car, in fact its far from a great place to start. but the fact of the matter is that he has a 335i to throw some money at - not a Carrera or an M3. that being said, if the vehicle choice has already been made, and the 335i is what he has to work with, then its nice to see someone taking the path less traveled. you make refernce to him starting with completely different modifications than the typical 335i owner would...what's ironic is that the path most traveled (PROcede/Xede and exhaust) is just as much an attempt to improve performance as going with light weight wheels and better brakes. granted the modification path most traveled is generally only better for straight line performance, whereas light weight wheels helps with unsprung weight, and you'll see and feel a difference everywhere, not just in a straight line. its just nice to see someone with more than just straight line performance in mind, even if its not even for an ///M. if the 335i is what you have, and you don't have the option of selling it and getting a better platform to start with, then this isn't a bad way to go.

And this has nothing to do with "rice." I wouldn't call this car rice, because it's not. In my first response to this thread, I stated that it's definitely a car that is purpose built, and isn't for the best looks of the bunch, but for the best FUNCTIONALITY of the modifications received.
no...in fact nobody outright called it rice...but i saw it implied in a few posts, none of which were your's by the way...sorry if i gave you the impression i was referring to you in particular.

If you wanted "personality," why get Volk's that are on 3 bazillion cars? You could've gotten something a little more rare, like those incredibly nice looking Volk 5 spokes in a gunmetal finish with a polished lip (which probably won't be rare by the time you read this).
on the contrary, they are painted blue, giving the apprearance of an extremely rare Volk wheel, even though they are not true TE37 Mags. in addition, they are on a BMW, which you rarely see. you certainly won't see a bazillion sets of TE37's Mags rolling around the streets, let alone see any kind of TE37 on BMWs regularly. the shallow-minded will simply see the TE37 design and completely lose interest...the keen observer will see the blue paint and wonder if they had a rare sighting of TE37 Mags - and on a BMW 335i no less . i think that alone gives this car personality.

BBS LM's are found on a bazillion cars and played out as hell, but i'd have a hard time convincing anyone here that euro cars on LM's suffer from the same "personailty" problem, despite being FAR more popular on BMWs/Porsches than any Volk wheel. and part of the problem is that i personally think very few cars sporting LM's lack personality. but if "personality" is based on "popularity," then it should be known that several iconic wheels (such as the BBS LM, for example) are as popular on euro's as Volks are on Japanese cars. just food for thought...

Old 05-27-2007, 02:48 AM
996Yayo will become famous soon enough
here are some pics of some TE37's / LE37T's on the sportier M3...i was just cursious EvilB if you feel similarly about these as you do the 335i.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Former Vendor
Those M's look hot! BTW this car is not a race car, it was purchased for product development. We have worked with Rotora, Agency Power, Vorsteiner, Progress, and some others to release 335I products

Old 06-03-2007, 03:01 PM
SGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the rough
i dont know why people think there is a dumb rule you can't put Japanese parts on a Euro car or vice versa... everyone is entitled to a comment, but I think everyone's definition of the word "rice" is bias from their own personal experience...

Old 06-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Former Vendor
Family Guy - CHUMBAWAMBA. All I can say...

Old 06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by attic2zoo
i dont know why people think there is a dumb rule you can't put Japanese parts on a Euro car or vice versa... everyone is entitled to a comment, but I think everyone's definition of the word "rice" is bias from their own personal experience...
You can do whatever you want, whether people will buy into a look or style is another story. Personally I don't dig it at all. I had an E46 M3 and bought my wheels from vivid who I would highly recommend but they sure as fock weren't volks. I have a Porsche now and while I appreciate that there is a younger affluent demographic who owns these cars, BMW's specifically, there is obviously a strong contingent of enthusiasts who are turned off by the look.

What I am not quite sure of is whether it is purely aesthetic or if there is actually some feeling of slight towards jdm or asian design/products. My gut instinct is that it is purely aesthetics but I could be wrong.

I'd like to see the car and will stop by next week. A lot of times pics do not do justice. I would also mention that I know the guys at vivid are serious enthusiasts and whether this look is right or wrong it doesn't mean you have to buy it. There customer service has been great the couple of times I have worked with them and that is more important to me than their personal tastes. Even though I may not like it, I respect that they are at least looking at other angles. I would have slapped a tried and true set of BBS on it and called it good. Yeah they work but maybe a bit played out.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Former Vendor
You get a free tshirt for the kind words

Old 06-06-2007, 06:33 PM
brianlin87 is on a distinguished road
looks damn beautiful to me.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Amiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond reputeAmiricanmade has a reputation beyond repute
What are the specs of the Volk wheel on the 335? 8.5-9.5? Does it only come in ONE offset?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
It's growing on me,too bad they are so darn expensive over here!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 335I Gets New Wheels, Brakes, and Exhaust